Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 02:01 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

They have to find one more victim.

Search begins for last victim of California boat fire. 33 bodies recovered from the water:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-investigation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 02:03 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Someone on a mariner's forum suggested one relatively recent development: Everyone is touting devices with (sometimes multiple) Li-ion batteries these days. Phones, cameras, vapes, diving lights. Highly energetic, have been known to catch fire and are almost impossible to put out.

If that's the case, we're going to get a USCG reg on where to charge devices - that is, not in bunk areas.
THAT is a really intriguing theory. Someone could have been charging something in the galley area, where a battery fire might go unnoticed until too late because no one was in the galley at the time (everyone either being below in the bunks asleep, or up on deck either sleeping or on watch.)

Last edited by Aredhel; 09-04-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Most boats in the 30-38 foot range have a hatch in the V-Berth. It isn't made to come off.

They are also a problem because they leak doing damage to the v-berth.

Boatmakers are getting away from that because it is a problem.
You ever sail anywhere tropical without an open-able hatch in a V birth?

Anyway we are straying from the topic. The question remains. Could better exits have saved 34 people?

I think the answer is clearly yes.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Some folks seem to have this idea that it's your responsibility to save the passengers if you work on the boat. Your safety comes first. If helping someone kills you too, then now there is one additional death that is not necessary.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:32 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually a forward hatch into the cabin is almost standard on larger sailboats.
Well, there's the entire spinnaker thing...

Old 09-04-2019, 02:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
You ever sail anywhere tropical without an open-able hatch in a V birth?

Yes, I used to deliver boats for Beneteau and I raced for years. I am very familiar with hatch that opens in a v-berth but it doesn't come off. At very best you are getting a spinnaker through it or an air chute at anchor.

With the spinnaker the boat is sailing upright and not heeling.

Larger boats do not have them.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I used to deliver boats for Beneteau and I raced for years. I am very familiar with hatch that opens in a v-berth but it doesn't come off. At very best you are getting a spinnaker through it or an air chute at anchor.

With the spinnaker the boat is sailing upright and not heeling.

Larger boats do not have them.
47 foot Catalina - Wonder what those things in the overhead are?

http://cdn.denisonyachtsales.com/ima...6_1_XLARGE.jpg

Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
47 foot Catalina - Wonder what those things in the overhead are?

http://cdn.denisonyachtsales.com/ima...6_1_XLARGE.jpg
One last time and I am off this thread.

Those hatches are above the water line and do not come off.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
One last time and I am off this thread.

Those hatches are above the water line and do not come off.
Please. That is exactly what we are discussing. Hatches above the water line that open. There is absolutely no reason why a hatch would ever come off at least without tools. The issue is that a person can easily pass through such a hatch not that it comes off. Hatches in the Deck of the sunk boat could easily have been located in the deck along side the cabin or in the bow.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:23 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
[quote=TMBGBlueCanary;56094996]I used to dive off a boat called the Encore to the Channel Islands. It's been decades and I don't even know if that boat still exists.

The best way I can figure to describe the setup for those who have never been in such a boat is that it's a lot like the racks one might find in a Navy boat. It's basically just a room full of bunk beds. It's tight (and I remember it being hot too with all the people packed in). Sometimes I would just go on deck and fall asleep there instead.

I found a picture of the Conception's sleeping quarters (it's similar to what I remember from the boat I regularly stayed on). I am not really sure about this "locked in" that I keep hearing. It looks like a regular staircase up. And to get to the head, you'd have to be able to get out of the sleeping arra (I would think... I am guessing the head was not in the sleeping area. I've never seen that before) so why would the crew lock passengers in? I think that's a mistake someone reported somewhere.

There are other pictures here including a diagram of the boat:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...deck-fire.html

I would hold off on judgement on the crew of the boat. If it the fire was that hot, intense, and fast, there is really nothing anyone could have done except abandon the ship and call for help (which they did). Think of it this way, if it was too hot and fast for people who were trapped in it to risk running though the galley to get out, how superhuman would it be to climb down a ladder from the bridge (see the picture) into the fire-filled galley to get in to get to others? I would think anyone going in would quickly be overcome. Not to mention climbing a down a ladder into flames without protective gear is just not something I think I could even do if I wanted to.

[/QUOTE

Yes agree. I’m no expert on boats period, but upon reading posts here and following news reports and videos, it looks to me as if the whole galley was aflame. Numerous explosions were heard by people on the other boat where the crew went to for help. The only thing that appears to be certain is that with two exits from the bunk area, and nobody out of 34 people was able to get out, there must have been something insurmountable that these poor souls just couldn’t overcome, or they most certainly would have. They would have done anything possible to get out of that inferno and smoke. This was such an unprecedented disaster and the swiftness and severity of the fire most likely will change future designs of boats.
Yes many questions remain to be answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events