U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

21,453 posts, read 17,042,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I guess that means you don't have any good answer to the question why they didn't stay near the boat and look for survivors. Could they have saved the passengers? Maybe, maybe not. We will never know, because they didn't even try. They just ran away from it.

They tried to save the passengers, even from the water, Then they went to get help. Again I have not read one single account that states officials are questioning the crew's account or their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

21,453 posts, read 17,042,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You still don't abandoned ship and leave the area without looking for survivors. They returned only after the Coast Guard told them to. Something is fishy about the whole thing.

You're trying to make it seem like the Coast Guard thought they didn't do enough and scolded them back on board, That;s not the case. They went to get help then went back with the Coast Guard to look for survivors. The Coast Guard would not order civilians into a first responders role in any case. Again that's like the firemen ordering teachers back into a burning school to look for kids, that's not ow it works. The crew willingly went back to look for survivors not because they were "ordered to" and I''m not sure where you're getting that from. You continue to believe these crew members had some sort of legal obligation to die trying to rescue passengers, that's not the case either.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

33,163 posts, read 16,949,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“You don’t want to make a boat less seaworthy, so you can’t put hatches in the side,” he said.
That's that settled.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

5,553 posts, read 2,243,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They tried to save the passengers, even from the water, Then they went to get help. Again I have not read one single account that states officials are questioning the crew's account or their actions.
I haven't see that anywhere. Can you give me a link?

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You're trying to make it seem like the Coast Guard thought they didn't do enough and scolded them back on board, That;s not the case. They went to get help then went back with the Coast Guard to look for survivors. The Coast Guard would not order civilians into a first responders role in any case. Again that's like the firemen ordering teachers back into a burning school to look for kids, that's not ow it works. The crew willingly went back to look for survivors not because they were "ordered to" and I''m not sure where you're getting that from. You continue to believe these crew members had some sort of legal obligation to die trying to rescue passengers, that's not the case either.
They did not need to go to get help. They had already made two mayday calls, and the Coast Guard had broadcast a request for all mariners in the area to assist if possible. Everybody who could possibly respond, was already responding.

"Can you get back onboard and unlock the boat?" "You don’t have any firefighting gear at all? No fire extinguishers or anything?”

That sounds like they were being scolded to me. I take that to mean, why are you not on the boat trying to help these people, and why are you not trying to fight the fire.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's that settled.
It is not settled. Nothing is settled yet.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

10,112 posts, read 4,748,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And you are going to have to cook O2 or air tanks for a while before they are going to blow. And there would have been very little O2 on board. Nitrox is fancy scuba practiced by only a few. It just gets you a bit deeper.

What?!? Nitrox is more commonly used on liveaboards than standard air. And nitrox gets you shallower. Depth limit for 21% air is 130', Maximum Operating Depth for 32% nitrox is 111'. What it gets you is longer bottom times due to reduced nitrogen absorption into the blood stream. That said, most liveaboards including this one do not use O2 tanks to mix nitrox but use a membrane filter system. The only O2 on board would have been emergency medical oxygen.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What?!? Nitrox is more commonly used on liveaboards than standard air. And nitrox gets you shallower. Depth limit for 21% air is 130', Maximum Operating Depth for 32% nitrox is 111'. What it gets you is longer bottom times due to reduced nitrogen absorption into the blood stream. That said, most liveaboards including this one do not use O2 tanks to mix nitrox but use a membrane filter system. The only O2 on board would have been emergency medical oxygen.
Hmmm... good point if that's a fact. I assumed that they would have a blending system of some sort due to the volume needed to do service a bunch of tanks on a live aboard. A membrane system would probably not need much physical storage of o2.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

10,112 posts, read 4,748,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I always thought the limit on nitrox was 105' or so due to possible o2 toxicity. Most of the nitrox diving I've done is places like Palau where many of the dives you are hooked up in 45' of water.

You shouldn't dive with nitrox unless you're certified and if you were certified you would know the MOD depends on the actual mix. Ex. 32% is MOD 111', 36% is MOD 95'. You can have, recreationally, any mix from 21% to 40%. And then there's trimix.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You shouldn't dive with nitrox unless you're certified and if you were certified you would know the MOD depends on the actual mix. Ex. 32% is MOD 111', 36% is MOD 95'. You can have, recreationally, any mix from 21% to 40%. And then there's trimix.
Actually I am nitox certified and have over 300 dives, though not on nitrox obviously. I was certified in high school and am 60 years old. As they say "when sex was safe and diving was dangerous".

Last edited by jeffrow1; Yesterday at 10:23 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or