U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

33,167 posts, read 16,956,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, and you are?
It's called a "citation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

16,104 posts, read 15,310,603 times
Federal authorities served search warrants Sunday at the company that operated the Conception dive boat, on which 34 people were killed in a fire that swept through the vessel while it was anchored off Santa Cruz Island on Labor Day.

Investigators with the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Coast Guard served the warrants shortly after 8 a.m. at the Santa Barbara headquarters of Truth Aquatics, law enforcement officials said. Investigators were looking for training, safety and maintenance records.

The investigators took photos and boxes during the search, which is part of the ongoing investigation into the incident, said Lt. Erik Raney with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office. No arrests were made.

“I see it as par for the course,” he said. “You can only do so much with your basic investigative efforts, and at some point you have to use a search warrant as the means to collect information.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...truth-aquatics

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

5,555 posts, read 2,246,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They have a guy with a broken leg. And the Grape Escape was only 400 yards from the Conception. So for all intents and purposes they remained in the immediate vicinity of the Conception.

Note that the passengers on the Conception were not tourists or such. Doubt any of them would be in trouble floating a few hours.
Yeah, because a broken leg is so much more important then staying around to look for survivors. Which wouldn't have been treated until he got to an emergency room anyway.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Quote:
Law enforcement sources told The Times last week that a preliminary investigation into the Conception boat fire had suggested serious safety deficiencies aboard the vessel, including the lack of a “roaming night watchman” who is required to be awake and alert passengers in the event of a fire or other dangers.

The probe also has raised questions about whether the crew was adequately trained and whether passengers received a complete safety briefing, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they did not have approval to comment publicly about the case.
That pretty much says it all. Somebody is going to pay for this.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As for watchman, I had not known about a "roaming" requirement but there must always be a captain awake and on duty.
I think someone in that article got their wavelengths mixed - this is a "small passenger vessel", not a 300-feet container ship. It's still good practice for the anchor watch to carry out boat checks, and most organizations will write it into their safety operations manual.

My org has the anchor watch fill out a log at 30-minute increments - anchor check (duh), position check (GPS and bearings), wind direction and strength, barometer reading, bilges in 3 compartments, battery levels and a "general compartment check". Radio traffic is logged if relevant. (When high schoolers are on board as trainees, there is an added "one body per bunk" check.) If a lot of that sounds like make-work to make sure people don't fall asleep, it's because it is.

You don't need the captain awake at anchor - a deckhand is just fine. Although of course the rule is "When in doubt, wake up the captain." With the unwritten addendum "The good ones won't mind, and it annoys the bad ones."

2 crewmembers awake at all times sounds good, but getting sufficient crew rest is also a safety factor. Everything is a compromise.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think someone in that article got their wavelengths mixed - this is a "small passenger vessel", not a 300-feet container ship. It's still good practice for the anchor watch to carry out boat checks, and most organizations will write it into their safety operations manual.

My org has the anchor watch fill out a log at 30-minute increments - anchor check (duh), position check (GPS and bearings), wind direction and strength, barometer reading, bilges in 3 compartments, battery levels and a "general compartment check". Radio traffic is logged if relevant. (When high schoolers are on board as trainees, there is an added "one body per bunk" check.) If a lot of that sounds like make-work to make sure people don't fall asleep, it's because it is.

You don't need the captain awake at anchor - a deckhand is just fine. Although of course the rule is "When in doubt, wake up the captain." With the unwritten addendum "The good ones won't mind, and it annoys the bad ones."

2 crewmembers awake at all times sounds good, but getting sufficient crew rest is also a safety factor. Everything is a compromise.
There is no indication here that anybody was awake.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“I see it as par for the course,” he said. “You can only do so much with your basic investigative efforts, and at some point you have to use a search warrant as the means to collect information.”[/i]

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...truth-aquatics
Sounds like due diligence. There's a certain "pour encourager les autres" element in play, here, as well.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quote:
There is no indication here that anybody was awake.
If the investigation bears that out, that would be a major black mark against the crew and captain. Quite possibly criminal liability.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

13,350 posts, read 5,111,848 times
Quote:
That pretty much says it all. Somebody is going to pay for this.
Again there is no source for the "roaming night watch". Is this simply some cop suggesting there should have been? I am skeptical. Someplace in my boating decades I would have come across it.

It was my plan in old age to get a 6 pack license and crew or captain for people. Easily qualify. Even have a UCLA certificate in celestial navigation. Did not happen as I unfortunately lost much of the operating of my legs which just kills small boats.

I remain quite skeptical as to the existence of a night roaming watchman.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, it shall not be said I can't admit when I'm wrong. Found the reg - Subchapter T, § 185.410:

Quote:
§ 185.410 Watchmen.
The owner, charterer, master, or managing operator of a vessel carrying overnight passengers shall have a suitable number of watchmen patrol throughout the vessel during the nighttime, whether or not the vessel is underway, to guard against, and give alarm in case of, a fire, man overboard, or other dangerous situation.
That's pretty clear-cut. (FTR, there is ample precedence that "a suitable number" can be one.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text...I/subchapter-T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or