U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 03:08 PM

13,355 posts, read 5,115,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, it shall not be said I can't admit when I'm wrong. Found the reg - Subchapter T, § 185.410:

That's pretty clear-cut. (FTR, there is ample precedence that "a suitable number" can be one.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text...I/subchapter-T
And that it was in fact the watch stander. Again I expect you will find out that on this class of boats the watch stander is the only one required. This person is no more than 40 feet from anywhere in the salon and less than 10 feet from a full view of it. That is effectively on the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 03:09 PM

33,175 posts, read 16,961,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It was my plan in old age to get a 6 pack license and crew or captain for people. Easily qualify. Even have a UCLA certificate in celestial navigation. Did not happen as I unfortunately lost much of the operating of my legs which just kills small boats.
Man, that sucks. I would have sailed with you

Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,431,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That still doesn't change the fact that nitrox requires you analyze your tank because the specific mix determines the max operating depth and you apparently didn't know that and thought the max depth was always 105'.

Wow, you were certified in nitrox 40 years ago? By whom? Agencies didn't accept it and start teaching it until the mid 90's. 300 dives in 40 years sounds like a once-a-year vacation diver.
Get over yourself..... I didn’t say I was nitrox certified 40 years ago, I was OW certified. Typically I’ve used preblended mix. Not sure why you are so offended about anything I said.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 PM

16,719 posts, read 16,860,645 times
Shoddy, shoddy..............they must have been super cheap and/or incompetent. How does a fire
break-out and some sort of LOUD alarm not go off immediately????????

Old 09-08-2019, 05:29 PM

10,126 posts, read 4,754,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I generally like standing night watches. On most boats I will take the last night watch or even the last two as I like it out there. I almost always would celebrate the sun with a cold beer. Actually the only time I ever drink beer. I even like it in bad seas and high winds. Nothing is more interesting than trying to find the smooth path through 20 foot seas.

What!? Where was this? As crew, we are strictly prohibited from alcohol from the moment we board (and no boarding already with alcohol in the blood) until we step off after the trip. More than once I (along with all crew) have been alcohol-tested by CG.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Federal authorities served search warrants Sunday at the company that operated the Conception dive boat, on which 34 people were killed in a fire that swept through the vessel while it was anchored off Santa Cruz Island on Labor Day.

Investigators with the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Coast Guard served the warrants shortly after 8 a.m. at the Santa Barbara headquarters of Truth Aquatics, law enforcement officials said. Investigators were looking for training, safety and maintenance records.

The investigators took photos and boxes during the search, which is part of the ongoing investigation into the incident, said Lt. Erik Raney with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office. No arrests were made.

“I see it as par for the course,” he said. “You can only do so much with your basic investigative efforts, and at some point you have to use a search warrant as the means to collect information.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...truth-aquatics

I don't see it as par for the course. Sounds to me like they are taking an adversarial approach, either because the owners are not being cooperative or they expect this to become a criminal case. I've known fatalities to happen on several dive boats and the owners were subjected to lengthy interviews and requests for records but I don't think they were ever subjected to search warrants or involved FBI or ATF.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You don't need the captain awake at anchor - a deckhand is just fine. Although of course the rule is "When in doubt, wake up the captain." With the unwritten addendum "The good ones won't mind, and it annoys the bad ones."

2 crewmembers awake at all times sounds good, but getting sufficient crew rest is also a safety factor. Everything is a compromise.

While true, the captain has ultimate responsibility so if the deckhand falls asleep it will be on the captain.

An extra watchman might require an extra crew member, which might take away a revenue spot so there will be a cost. The crew on these boats, other than the captains, are often volunteers working for tips and free diving.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Get over yourself..... I didn’t say I was nitrox certified 40 years ago, I was OW certified. Typically I’ve used preblended mix. Not sure why you are so offended about anything I said.

I'm not offended just concerned that someone is diving nitrox that clearly doesn't know the first thing about nitrox and might serve as a dangerous example for others. One should refrain from providing incorrect info on a subject with which they clearly are not familiar. I've logged over 300 dives in the last two years.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:55 PM

10,053 posts, read 16,840,373 times
There is a reason why merchant mariners go through fire fighting at sea classes, you just can't call 911 or expect other ships to save you.

A fire on a boat is a disaster. What I heard is that the source was lithium-ion batteries for undersea cameras.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,431,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not offended just concerned that someone is diving nitrox that clearly doesn't know the first thing about nitrox and might serve as a dangerous example for others. One should refrain from providing incorrect info on a subject with which they clearly are not familiar. I've logged over 300 dives in the last two years.
Ignore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or