U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 AM

33,210 posts, read 16,971,199 times

Advertisements

Some may be interested in this incident for comparison - the fire on the small ferry Island Lady January 2018.

Some similarities:
  • Comparable size
  • Same regulation framework (T-class)
  • About the same number of passengers

Some differences:
  • Everyone alert and awake
  • All passengers on the main deck
  • Vessel under power with convenient mudbank within reach

https://ntsb.gov/investigations/Acci...ts/MAR1802.pdf

What's noteworthy is that with everyone alert and awake, there wasn't even time for lifejackets. From the time the crew was even sure there was a fire and until the fire reached the maindeck was less than 5 minutes. It took 30 seconds from the time flames reached the main deck until the entire main deck was engulfed.

The captain beached the vessel on a mudbank and everyone jumped overboard at the bow. 1 fatality (secondary effects of the stress and smoke), 14 injured.

As I might have said upthread, fires at sea are horrifyingly fast events. At 15:51, the captain's main worry was that an engine might be overheating, possibly due to a clogged seawater inlet. At 15:53, there was visible flame. 7 minutes later, the boat was beached, engulfed in flames, and everybody was in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM

254 posts, read 91,444 times
I think several things failed here.
No proper alarm.
**** poor egress.
Poor battery charging stations.
The one that really gets me is the watchman situation.

The press release about starting a criminal investigation in my opinion is just fluff.
There should have been a criminal investigation right off the bat.
I’m actually sure there was so to me this “new criminal investigation” is just pooy just to make people think something is going to be done.
Kinda a feel good thing when in fact this had to be treated like a criminal investigation from the start.
So where exactly was this roaming safety watch person?
Was he over worked so he couldn’t perform his night shift duties?
What’s his blood work look like?
This reeks a foul smell.

On another note a couple years ago I took the family on a 4 day tuna fishing trip out of San Diego.
The deck hand was smoking pot with the crew at the back of the boat.
I kindly gave him crap about it and he said it ain’t a big thing
I will never find this acceptable.
I will never use that boat again.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM

6,953 posts, read 4,310,282 times
There were apparently some problems with safety measures and protocol, and of course everything has to be investigated. What I don't see is a case in which several cowardly crew members jumped overboard to save their own skins with no concern for the passengers on board. That's a pretty low accusation and not borne out by any of the facts I have read.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM

254 posts, read 91,444 times
My bad,
I meant to say the deckhand was smoking weed with the clients.
I don’t like pot but I know pot.
They were smoking skunk weed and vaping that wax stuff.
Wax is nasty.
It’s not like regular weed.

I have always thought the world of Truth Aquatics, but I’ve never given blind loyalty to any thing.
To me they are or were head and shoulders above the boat out of Ventura that has a hot tub.
Yup!
I said it.

Doing deepish dives and chillin in a hot tub at the end of the day scares the sh_t out of me.
Anybody in the know knows what I’m saying.
Andy.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

16,124 posts, read 15,324,645 times
Officials will attempt to raise the sunken Conception — where 34 people died in a boat fire on Labor Day — as the investigation into the disaster intensified.

Sources familiar with the probe said the boat could be towed back to shore as soon as Wednesday (9/11). Poor weather stopped the effort this weekend.

By getting the Conception to shore, authorities can begin what is expected to be a lengthy examination of the cause of the fire and other aspects of the investigation.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...igation-widens

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

33,210 posts, read 16,971,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What I don't see is a case in which several cowardly crew members jumped overboard to save their own skins with no concern for the passengers on board. That's a pretty low accusation and not borne out by any of the facts I have read.
Pretty much it. The practices before the fire was discovered sounds like they're worthy of scrutiny, but criticizing the post-fire behavior without a proper understanding of what happened in those seconds? A sad, lubberly thing to do.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

769 posts, read 825,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again, where was the watchman who was supposed to be on duty, for exactly this situation? That is crew negligence. The other things you mentioned are also crew negligence. It's the crews responsibility to make sure that safety equipment is functioning correctly. If the crew doesn't change batteries, who is going to do it?
I'm going to change my user name to Sunny Daze

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Final victim of California boat fire is recovered by divers:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ered-by-divers

Old Today, 06:31 AM

"The (L.A.) Times spoke to more than a dozen people who have recently been on Truth Aquatics boats. Although many remembered the crew as professional and conscientious of safety protocols, some said that the captain’s initial safety briefing was inadequate and that they were never told about the escape hatch.

“I have no idea how we would have gotten out of that room in an emergency,” said Josiah Wilcox of Santa Rosa, who was on the Conception in April for a trip with the Sierra Club.

Some Conception passengers said they weren’t told about emergency escape hatch:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ty-aboard-boat

Old Today, 07:06 AM

10,991 posts, read 21,627,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"The (L.A.) Times spoke to more than a dozen people who have recently been on Truth Aquatics boats. Although many remembered the crew as professional and conscientious of safety protocols, some said that the captain’s initial safety briefing was inadequate and that they were never told about the escape hatch.

“I have no idea how we would have gotten out of that room in an emergency,” said Josiah Wilcox of Santa Rosa, who was on the Conception in April for a trip with the Sierra Club.

Some Conception passengers said they weren’t told about emergency escape hatch:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ty-aboard-boat
Not sure how much I believe them. There have been a few others in articles that said most of them "zone out" when crew is going thru safety procedures because they're so pumped about going diving. They said they will sure pay attention after this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or