U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 AM
 
10,173 posts, read 4,775,084 times
Reputation: 13301

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not sure how much I believe them. There have been a few others in articles that said most of them "zone out" when crew is going thru safety procedures because they're so pumped about going diving. They said they will sure pay attention after this.

I give the dive briefings. The captain gives the boat rules and safety briefings. Then the galley gives the meals briefing. Lots of briefings. Information overload. I don't expect anyone to remember it all which is why I usually go over the dive procedures again in the morning. We don't read from scripts but the same info is delivered in the same way. It's easier that way. I doubt that the captain sometimes mentions the escape hatch and sometimes doesn't. If it's part of his spiel then I doubt he ever leaves it out since he would be used to the way one point seques into the next point. But I can definitely see where some passengers might not recall being told about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM
 
33,235 posts, read 17,002,765 times
Reputation: 18069
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I give the dive briefings. The captain gives the boat rules and safety briefings. Then the galley gives the meals briefing. Lots of briefings. Information overload. I don't expect anyone to remember it all which is why I usually go over the dive procedures again in the morning. We don't read from scripts but the same info is delivered in the same way. It's easier that way. I doubt that the captain sometimes mentions the escape hatch and sometimes doesn't. If it's part of his spiel then I doubt he ever leaves it out since he would be used to the way one point seques into the next point. But I can definitely see where some passengers might not recall being told about it.
When we embark a new group of trainees on our sailing ships, we have them enter the berth compartment via the main companionway and egress through the escape hatch. Admittedly, we mostly do so as a practical thing - avoid two-way traffic in the companionway - but it works on a different level as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,836 posts, read 3,310,961 times
Reputation: 26567
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Lots of briefings. Information overload. I don't expect anyone to remember it all which is why I usually go over the dive procedures again in the morning. But I can definitely see where some passengers might not recall being told about it.
A very important point...it takes two to learn: someone giving information and someone absorbing it. How realistic is it to expect some previous client (a week ago? A month? A year?) of any sort of expedition to recall what they heard once during a safety briefing? Doubt this is going to clarify anything. Possibly, a frequent client who took many trips with them and heard the briefings given from different crew might notice, but they would also be a lot more familiar with the boat's access layout too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NYC
13,362 posts, read 9,055,579 times
Reputation: 14758
They want to restrict phone charging or blame that on smartphone battery fires. Well, cruisers have thousands of customers and people have tablets and phones stayed connected without issues. I don't think that's the cause, it is more likely related to fuel lines and electric wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
11,014 posts, read 21,647,919 times
Reputation: 9397
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I give the dive briefings. The captain gives the boat rules and safety briefings. Then the galley gives the meals briefing. Lots of briefings. Information overload. I don't expect anyone to remember it all which is why I usually go over the dive procedures again in the morning. We don't read from scripts but the same info is delivered in the same way. It's easier that way. I doubt that the captain sometimes mentions the escape hatch and sometimes doesn't. If it's part of his spiel then I doubt he ever leaves it out since he would be used to the way one point seques into the next point. But I can definitely see where some passengers might not recall being told about it.
Thanks for your input. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is, they just don't recall being told even though they hear it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
When we embark a new group of trainees on our sailing ships, we have them enter the berth compartment via the main companionway and egress through the escape hatch. Admittedly, we mostly do so as a practical thing - avoid two-way traffic in the companionway - but it works on a different level as well.
That's the way it should be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,520 posts, read 4,322,874 times
Reputation: 18997
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They want to restrict phone charging or blame that on smartphone battery fires. Well, cruisers have thousands of customers and people have tablets and phones stayed connected without issues.
How do you know they haven't had issues? The airlines have certainly had multiple issues with cabin fires caused by phone and tablet/laptop Li-on batteries overheating. (That's why they are banned in checked luggage; the airlines want them someplace where a fire will be noticed quickly and dealt with before it goes out of control.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 PM
 
33,235 posts, read 17,002,765 times
Reputation: 18069
Preliminary report, for those who like facts:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ry-report.aspx

My take: Inexcusable negligence in having the entire crew sleeping. Someone needs to go to prison. The captain needs to lose his license.

Actions of the crew after the fire discovered were in accordance with what could be expected and good seamanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,599 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Reputation: 7334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Preliminary report, for those who like facts:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ry-report.aspx

My take: Inexcusable negligence in having the entire crew sleeping. Someone needs to go to prison. The captain needs to lose his license.

Actions of the crew after the fire discovered were in accordance with what could be expected and good seamanship.
Plenty of posters here don't like facts. So I'm sure they will continue to defend the incompetent coward crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 02:43 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 4,331,086 times
Reputation: 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Plenty of posters here don't like facts. So I'm sure they will continue to defend the incompetent coward crew.
Why do you get such evident pleasure from calling the crew "cowards"? The only thing that would have made them not cowards in your eyes, apparently, would have been rushing unprepared into the flames and becoming casualties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,599 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Reputation: 7334
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Why do you get such evident pleasure from calling the crew "cowards"? The only thing that would have made them not cowards in your eyes, apparently, would have been rushing unprepared into the flames and becoming casualties.
Because 34 people are dead because of their incompetence and cowardice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top