U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 4,338,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Because 34 people are dead because of their incompetence and cowardice.
I'll grant the safety protocols were not followed properly before the fire. But after it started, it seems to me that no amount of "bravery" on the part of the crew would have saved the passengers. It sounds like you would have preferred them all to be casualties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 PM

21,553 posts, read 17,119,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Plenty of posters here don't like facts. So I'm sure they will continue to defend the incompetent coward crew.
I guess you missed the last line of his post. Also the report itself linked to is just a stating of facts, it says nothing about blame.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM

21,553 posts, read 17,119,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'll grant the safety protocols were not followed properly before the fire. But after it started, it seems to me that no amount of "bravery" on the part of the crew would have saved the passengers. It sounds like you would have preferred them all to be casualties.
She thinks their job obligated them to give up their lives if necessary to rescue passengers. Lost cause or not, they should have run through the fire.

Yes per poster expecting a delivery driver to deliver food to your door is asking too much of him, but expecting a crew of deckhands to sacrifice themselves in a lost cause should be part of their job.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM

5,613 posts, read 2,273,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That will never be known. Because they all jumped overboard and ran away. So we have no way of knowing how many people might have been saved if they had an ounce of bravery between them all. And now the coward owners are suing the victim's families, to avoid compensating thim. This company is disgusting.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:30 PM

13,531 posts, read 5,160,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Preliminary report, for those who like facts:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ry-report.aspx

My take: Inexcusable negligence in having the entire crew sleeping. Someone needs to go to prison. The captain needs to lose his license.

Actions of the crew after the fire discovered were in accordance with what could be expected and good seamanship.
Yup - Shocking actually. I would expect the Captain to go down for this one.

I still find it terrible that no alarm sounded with such a fire in the salon. Also a big contributor to the deaths.

I find no cowardice or poor behavior on the part of the crew. They did their best.

I would also think a good look at this class of boat is in order. Alarms, charging of batteries, egress from berth areas all ought to be looked at.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:49 PM

11,019 posts, read 21,656,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Preliminary report, for those who like facts:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ry-report.aspx

My take: Inexcusable negligence in having the entire crew sleeping. Someone needs to go to prison. The captain needs to lose his license.

Actions of the crew after the fire discovered were in accordance with what could be expected and good seamanship.
Thanks for the link. They really don't say much except what we already knew, it seemed everyone was sleeping.

Does anyone know if it's a law that someone had to be awake?

Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 PM

1,730 posts, read 499,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Final victim of California boat fire is recovered by divers:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ered-by-divers
So glad they found this person so the family can have some closure.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 499,781 times
It seems that after reading the latest links that it’s the lack of safety protocols not followed by the crew that once the fire started , they were prevented from rescuing anyone. They didn’t cause the fire but they didn’t notice the fire until it was too late to do anything about it.

Also in the initial articles many reports and interviews were abound about how good the company was and how wonderful the owners are and how great the crew is. Now a week later if not a few days before , suddenly there are stories that all of this may not be true. CG and FBI are all over everything. You’re either a good company or owner or you’re not. Which is it?

Old 09-12-2019, 05:00 PM

10,206 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
It seems that after reading the latest links that itís the lack of safety protocols not followed by the crew that once the fire started , they were prevented from rescuing anyone. They didnít cause the fire but they didnít notice the fire until it was too late to do anything about it.

Also in the initial articles many reports and interviews were abound about how good the company was and how wonderful the owners are and how great the crew is. Now a week later if not a few days before , suddenly there are stories that all of this may not be true. CG and FBI are all over everything. Youíre either a good company or owner or youíre not. Which is it?

Define "good company". The vast majority of local divers say they are a good operation because they are judging them on delivering the product they seek (great diving) under acceptable conditions for a good price. The thing the authorities are all over - fire fighting, evacuation, night watch - are things that never affected customers in the past because nothing like this had happened in the past.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:21 PM

33,267 posts, read 17,013,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the link. They really don't say much except what we already knew, it seemed everyone was sleeping.

Does anyone know if it's a law that someone had to be awake?
It is.

ß 185.410 Watchmen.
The owner, charterer, master, or managing operator of a vessel carrying overnight passengers shall have a suitable number of watchmen patrol throughout the vessel during the nighttime, whether or not the vessel is underway, to guard against, and give alarm in case of, a fire, man overboard, or other dangerous situation.

From here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/185.410

- applicable, as this was a T-class small passenger vessel. ("master" is coast guard speak for "captain").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or