U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 04:27 PM

21,595 posts, read 17,133,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think primarily the captain.

If the owner can point to his written instructions and there's no evidence of them issuing other contradictory directives, they're not really liable.

But the captain has a master's license, he's supposed to know the rules and regulations inside out, and not just give orders accordingly, but verify that the orders are carried out. And the need for a nightwatchman is called out specifically in the vessel's COI.
Right, the captain. But no reason to think the crew needs a pre-emotive strike as a defense because everything I’ve read clears them from any wrong doing thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM

16,205 posts, read 15,381,045 times
"Divers and others in the boat world said the electrical systems of boats such as the Conception have been put to the test in recent years as the number of electronics brought on board has increased."

Conception wasn’t built to charge dozens of phones and cameras. Did this cause the blaze?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ve-caused-fire

Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 502,528 times
That hatch is so small that a lot of people wouldn’t even be able to get through it or would plug it up for others.

To me the fact that the other five above deck crewmen were all asleep does make them responsible to some degree. I find the lawsuit by the one crewman to be distasteful considering that he is still alive and may not have had to jump to the next level to escape the flames if he had been awake . One of them at least should’ve been awake and perhaps the fire would’ve been detected sooner.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
That hatch is so small that a lot of people wouldn’t even be able to get through it or would plug it up for others.

To me the fact that the other five above deck crewmen were all asleep does make them responsible to some degree. I find the lawsuit by the one crewman to be distasteful considering that he is still alive and may not have had to jump to the next level to escape the flames if he had been awake . One of them at least should’ve been awake and perhaps the fire would’ve been detected sooner.
Well we are waiting to see if the Captain had a night watch assigned. If not it’s on him though not the crew.
They were all able to get through the hatch or they couldn’t have gotten to the sleeping quarters but yes in an emergency it seems inadequate. It’s still apparently a standard size as it did pass inspection. The boat was actually okayed to sleep about 10 more people than it already had.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

10,236 posts, read 4,789,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well we are waiting to see if the Captain had a night watch assigned. If not it’s on him though not the crew.
They were all able to get through the hatch or they couldn’t have gotten to the sleeping quarters but yes in an emergency it seems inadequate. It’s still apparently a standard size as it did pass inspection. The boat was actually okayed to sleep about 10 more people than it already had.

She's talking about the escape hatch not the primary entry.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
She's talking about the escape hatch not the primary entry.
I thought the escape hatch was the only way out?

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

10,236 posts, read 4,789,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought the escape hatch was the only way out?

Why did you think that? The term "escape" implies only in an emergency.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

5,810 posts, read 4,985,372 times
When you get into n airplane do you look at the door and see how it is disengaged?
Probably not. most people don't but blindly assume nothing can go wrong seeing you've not died in a fire yet.
How fast can you think to act should the vessel you're in all of a sudden begin to fail?
Panic is not a safe procedure.
Know what needs to be done, if you don't know ask, if those you ask don't know you've got a decision to make.
Do you have to be told to put a seat belt on, or grab the fire extinguisher, do you even know how to properly use it?
When I get in a vessel I look at the escape routs and fire extinguishers and other means fo protection. I form a contingency plan. I'm not paranoid, having had a few adventures myself self it forces one to think, and to act.
I happen to have worked on boats for a living as a mechanic OH an by the way the tanks are filled with air, not oxygen, there is a difference.
Fires can start any number of ways having nothing to do with the boat it's self, simply someones battery-operated device wiring frayed and shorted out is enough.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

13,396 posts, read 9,075,164 times
I was taking a ferry and I noticed they have axes and fire extinguishers onboard near the captains booth. Ferries are designed with lots of exits but even still they had the necessary equipment to put out fires and knock down doors etc. Why the workers of this ship didn't attempt to put out the fire or axe down the doors is unknown. Atleast they've made it out alive..

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

13,567 posts, read 5,170,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was taking a ferry and I noticed they have axes and fire extinguishers onboard near the captains booth. Ferries are designed with lots of exits but even still they had the necessary equipment to put out fires and knock down doors etc. Why the workers of this ship didn't attempt to put out the fire or axe down the doors is unknown. Atleast they've made it out alive..
The fatal circumstances are actually pretty clear. The fire was in the salon and became big enough before it was discovered to block both exits from the berthing area and basically to isolate the whole central region of the vessel from any access that would have allowed the fire to be fought.

The fate of the vessel and the divers was sealed before the fire was discovered.

The problems appear to be the exits from the berthing area being into the same space on the boat. Lack of anyone awake among the crew and failure of any alarms to go off early in the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or