U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 PM

21,744 posts, read 17,216,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why did you think that? The term "escape" implies only in an emergency.
Because they said they couldn't exit through the escape hatch because it went into the galley where the fire is, so I assumed if there were another exit they'd have used it.And I called it an escape hatch, but it could have been just a hatch that was used for entry and exit too. I've never been on a dive boat, so I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 PM

33,368 posts, read 17,087,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was taking a ferry and I noticed they have axes and fire extinguishers onboard near the captains booth. Ferries are designed with lots of exits but even still they had the necessary equipment to put out fires and knock down doors etc. Why the workers of this ship didn't attempt to put out the fire or axe down the doors is unknown. Atleast they've made it out alive..
Conception had six portable fire extinguishers, two firehoses and a fixed CO2 system for the engine room. The crew did try with the portable fire extinguishers that they could reach, but the fire had progressed too far. The ladder from the topside crew quarters to the main deck was literally on fire, they had to jump on to the foredeck.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:00 PM

10,277 posts, read 4,821,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because they said they couldn't exit through the escape hatch because it went into the galley where the fire is, so I assumed if there were another exit they'd have used it.And I called it an escape hatch, but it could have been just a hatch that was used for entry and exit too. I've never been on a dive boat, so I asked.

There is a an excellent overview of it along with diagrams in this article. There are stairs that are the normal ingress/egress and then there is a tiny square escape hatch in the top of one of the bunks. I doubt you could get 34 passengers out the escape hatch in less than 30 minutes if it was practice with the lights on. They both lead into the salon. Let's see if these images will paste.

And here is the escape hatch you're supposed to find in pitch black (power out and cabin filling with smoke).

Old 09-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Some have said the little cubbyhole where the hatch opens into in the galley is often used for storage so it's possible people did try to exit there but couldn't get it open.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 PM

13,674 posts, read 5,225,058 times
Quote:
There is a an excellent overview of it along with diagrams There are stairs that are the normal ingress/egress and then there is a tiny square escape hatch in the top of one of the bunks. I doubt you could get 34 passengers out the escape hatch in less than 30 minutes if it was practice with the lights on. They both lead into the salon. Let's see if these images will paste.

And here is the escape hatch you're supposed to find in pitch black (power out and cabin filling with smoke).
These are divers not a sample of regular people. They will in general be in good shape and used to getting organized. I would think they would easily get everyone out in 5 or 6 minutes. Couple of bigger people pushing from the bottom and a couple of guys on top pulling them through.

It is almost automatic in such a group.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
These are divers not a sample of regular people. They will in general be in good shape and used to getting organized. I would think they would easily get everyone out in 5 or 6 minutes. Couple of bigger people pushing from the bottom and a couple of guys on top pulling them through.

It is almost automatic in such a group.

I think otherwise, and the problem is that no one ever seems to conduct such a drill to find out.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I think otherwise, and the problem is that no one ever seems to conduct such a drill to find out.
I have been involved in a couple. And divers respond pretty well. Once on a six pack we got trapped in a violent thunderstorm with close to zero visibility. Went through all the drills about what to do if...ended up with the divers all geared up. A couple of the stronger ones given the task of rescuing the crew members if we went in. Placed a diver on the fore-deck who did the real navigation by routing us from limit buoy to limit buoy off the beach. Real slow and careful. Eventually worked our way to the harbor at the old sugar boat dock. Sat off and had a long conversation about what to do. Problem was a big sea rolling through the anchorage and requiring a hard turn to reach the landing. We also had loose boats in the anchorage which had to be dodged.

All worked out fine though it was an interesting couple of hours.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM

1,784 posts, read 516,980 times
Quote:
She's talking about the escape hatch not the primary entry.
Yes the escape hatch. Seems so small.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:24 PM

1,784 posts, read 516,980 times
Quote:
There is a an excellent overview of it along with diagrams in this article. There are stairs that are the normal ingress/egress and then there is a tiny square escape hatch in the top of one of the bunks. I doubt you could get 34 passengers out the escape hatch in less than 30 minutes if it was practice with the lights on. They both lead into the salon. Let's see if these images will paste.

Good grief.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Come on. I am a very mature 265 pound male. Aside from perhaps needing help to get up on the bunk I would have no problem at all getting through that hatch. And I have lots of experience doing such things.

And you would be amazed at how fast I can crawl when the surround is on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or