U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 PM

5,655 posts, read 2,307,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was taking a ferry and I noticed they have axes and fire extinguishers onboard near the captains booth. Ferries are designed with lots of exits but even still they had the necessary equipment to put out fires and knock down doors etc. Why the workers of this ship didn't attempt to put out the fire or axe down the doors is unknown. Atleast they've made it out alive..
In my opinion, that is all they cared about. I'm sure they are all working on BS stories about how they tried to save the passengers, but I see very little evidence to support that. They didn't even stick around the burning boat, to see if anyone else had escaped. They just jumped overboard, swam to the back to retrieve a lifeboat and then took off. They were safe and that is all they cared about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 PM

5,689 posts, read 8,771,829 times
What a tragic story...

A question for you boat operators...

How are the alarms set up on these boats? Are there typically multiple smoke/CO alarms/sensors wired around the vessel and do they annunciate alarms to the captainís alarm panel, so that he/she should see it on the display (unless there is dereliction of duty)? It sounds like this was a very poor alarming system and/or crew safety protocol on this boat. Perhaps the boating industry needs some new safety/product requirements for this?

BTW, I am also a diver (just advanced Rec PADI but I lived in the Caribbean so have a lot of dives). Iíve never wanted to do a liveaboard precisely because of those cramped quarters (Iím claustrophobic). Those poor people...

Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 PM

21,748 posts, read 17,216,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
What a tragic story...

A question for you boat operators...

How are the alarms set up on these boats? Are there typically multiple smoke/CO alarms/sensors wired around the vessel and do they annunciate alarms to the captain’s alarm panel, so that he/she should see it on the display (unless there is dereliction of duty)? It sounds like this was a very poor alarming system and/or crew safety protocol on this boat. Perhaps the boating industry needs some new safety/product requirements for this?

BTW, I am also a diver (just advanced Rec PADI but I lived in the Caribbean so have a lot of dives). I’ve never wanted to do a liveaboard precisely because of those cramped quarters (I’m claustrophobic). Those poor people...
I’m sure they will be on to answer, but while not a boater, I don’t know that the captain would have been in the cabin looking at displays at that time because they were docked overnight when it happened. He has to sleep to operate the boat in the morning, I would think. The coast guard is investigating both the alarm situation and why there wasn’t an overnight watchman.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:55 PM

5,689 posts, read 8,771,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Iím sure they will be on to answer, but while not a boater, I donít know that the captain would have been in the cabin looking at displays at that time because they were docked overnight when it happened. He has to sleep to operate the boat in the morning, I would think.
Oh, I thought there was always someone on duty 24/7 watching displays. I mean what if an unexpected storm front comes in, or another boat approaches, or there are engine troubles, or they start taking on water, etc.. There are a lot of problems that can occur when docked at night. I canít believe there wouldnít be one person awake to monitor things.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:51 AM

6,768 posts, read 3,797,607 times
Quote:
Oh, I thought there was always someone on duty 24/7 watching displays. I mean what if an unexpected storm front comes in, or another boat approaches, or there are engine troubles, or they start taking on water, etc.. There are a lot of problems that can occur when docked at night. I canít believe there wouldnít be one person awake to monitor things.
That is pretty much what the 30 pages of replying is about. If there was a crewman on watch and did he fall asleep. Was it common among to crew to post a watch bill for Coast Guard inspection only as all hands were needed fresh and awake to support the divers the next day. Was a crewman nominally on duty suppose to patrol the boat looking for fires or just man the bridge. And so on.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:10 AM

10,278 posts, read 4,821,832 times
Quote:
Iím sure they will be on to answer, but while not a boater, I donít know that the captain would have been in the cabin looking at displays at that time because they were docked overnight when it happened. He has to sleep to operate the boat in the morning, I would think. The coast guard is investigating both the alarm situation and why there wasnít an overnight watchman.

We have two captains, one is always on duty.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

16,268 posts, read 15,432,654 times
In an effort to determine the cause of the deadliest boat fire in modern California history, authorities are painstakingly rebuilding the burned remains of the Conception and scouring the ocean floor for more evidence.

Nearly a month after the fire that killed 34 people, authorities still have not determined a cause, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=56235629

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

33,384 posts, read 17,087,134 times
Quote:
How are the alarms set up on these boats? Are there typically multiple smoke/CO alarms/sensors wired around the vessel and do they annunciate alarms to the captain’s alarm panel, so that he/she should see it on the display (unless there is dereliction of duty)?
It varies. Fire detection/suppression is generally centered where engines and fuel are. Regulations merely call for a battery-powered smoke detector in berthing spaces - and it does not have to be wired to the bridge.

Quote:
Perhaps the boating industry needs some new safety/product requirements for this?
As far as I'm concerned, local smoke alarms combined with an alert, roaming watchman beats someone looking at lights on the bridge, and that is also what is specifically called for in the regs. There are so many things that can go wrong, and automation only works for what you've predicted. Much better to have a seaman with common sense and judgment evaluating the situation. We really do impress on our trainees that anchor watch is not a formality, that they are holding 30+ lives in their hands.

Quote:
I’m sure they will be on to answer, but while not a boater, I don’t know that the captain would have been in the cabin looking at displays at that time because they were docked overnight when it happened. He has to sleep to operate the boat in the morning, I would think. The coast guard is investigating both the alarm situation and why there wasn’t an overnight watchman.
The captain does not stand watch, generally. But there so should have been an overnight watchman.

Quote:
Oh, I thought there was always someone on duty 24/7 watching displays. I mean what if an unexpected storm front comes in, or another boat approaches, or there are engine troubles, or they start taking on water, etc.. There are a lot of problems that can occur when docked at night.
It is specifically required - not just by common sense or in the general regs for this sort of vessel, this boat even had it called out in its Certificate of Inspection. Except it's not just watching screens - those are good and useful, but you also need a Mark I eyeball and what I can only call a mariner's sense of what's right, what's questionable and what's seriously not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Was it common among to crew to post a watch bill for Coast Guard inspection only as all hands were needed fresh and awake to support the divers the next day. Was a crewman nominally on duty suppose to patrol the boat looking for fires or just man the bridge. And so on.
Damn straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We have two captains, one is always on duty.
That's not bad. We operate with the required two officers with a Master's license - captain and 1st mate - but for anchor watch, a well-briefed deckhand will do. There's a sheet of "Wake up the mate" conditions, and it always ends with "All other doubtful situations not described." As a backup, most of our male volunteer crew are of an age where we have to get up to use the head at night, and since you're out of the rack anyway, why not check conditions on deck?

Old Today, 06:19 AM

11,118 posts, read 21,712,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In an effort to determine the cause of the deadliest boat fire in modern California history, authorities are painstakingly rebuilding the burned remains of the Conception and scouring the ocean floor for more evidence.

Nearly a month after the fire that killed 34 people, authorities still have not determined a cause, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=56235629
Your link opens up a CD reply box. Not sure which article you were linking to

I'm still waiting to see who's going to get named for being asleep on their night watch but still no name. Surprised the criminal investigation into the night watchman hasn't finished.

ATF finishes examining wreckage of dive boat, but investigation into cause of blaze continues By Richard Winton, Mark Puente - Sep. 27, 2019 4:36 PM
Quote:
Nearly a month after the deadliest boat fire in modern California history, authorities still have not determined the cause of the blaze, according to two law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation. But sources say a forensic examination is likely to reveal the origin.

[The] investigation as to the origin and cause of the fire continues

Old Today, 08:50 AM

5,655 posts, read 2,307,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your link opens up a CD reply box. Not sure which article you were linking to
I believe this is the correct link.

California boat fire_ Investigators rebuilding the burned Conception - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or