Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,965,859 times

Advertisements

A terrible thing. The stories I read said two crew members did go back to see if they could save anyone (one story suggested it was at the urging of the Coast Guard). I imagine by the time they escaped, got to another boat, called up the Coast Guard, talked with them, were encouraged to go back, and got back, it was far too late.

One story said something along the lines of, "They went back to see if they could rescue anyone but didn't find anyone." I can only imagine what they did find and it's horrifying. I also saw a transcript of the Coast Guard end of the radio transmissions; I cannot imagine being the radio operator who took that call, of a boat on fire with more than 30 people "locked" belowdecks (as was thought at the time). And their families, knowing how they must have died. I feel so very terrible for everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 PM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Get your story straighter.
Okay, then tell me what I got wrong.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
A terrible thing. The stories I read said two crew members did go back to see if they could save anyone (one story suggested it was at the urging of the Coast Guard). I imagine by the time they escaped, got to another boat, called up the Coast Guard, talked with them, were encouraged to go back, and got back, it was far too late.

One story said something along the lines of, "They went back to see if they could rescue anyone but didn't find anyone." I can only imagine what they did find and it's horrifying. I also saw a transcript of the Coast Guard end of the radio transmissions; I cannot imagine being the radio operator who took that call, of a boat on fire with more than 30 people "locked" belowdecks (as was thought at the time). And their families, knowing how they must have died. I feel so very terrible for everyone involved.
There does appear to be an interesting and important issue here.

Should there be an escape hatch to the open sea from any berthing area?

It appears clear that there were two escape routes from the berthing area. Both however lead to the salon which apparently included the galley. And once the galley was caught on fire the entire salon soon followed.

So should there have been an emergency exit to the sea or at least clear of the boat?

None of these people would have been in trouble for being in the ocean 20 yards off shore. In fact if there were a person or two in trouble there were likely a half dozen folks who could tow two or three people in.

So maybe the problem is what is required...not what happened.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have not read any details that would lead me to make any determination of liability.

A 75 foot boat is pretty big, and it can well accommodate 39 people, I think i read this one in particular can accommodate 46 or so people.
75 feet is the size of a medium size yacht, which would have a maximum capacity of about 25 people. Though most would carry less people then that. 39 people in a 75 foot boat is crazy.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There is so much ignorance in this post I do not know where to start.
Yeah, right. So much that you can't even think of even one point.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Again, the way boats are set up, crew quarters are in a different place than guest quarters. You cannot access guest from crew. It would have been much easier and quicker escape from crew quarters.
So basically the passengers were stuck down in the cargo hold, with no way to escape.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
75 feet is the size of a medium size yacht, which would have a maximum capacity of about 25 people. Though most would carry less people then that. 39 people in a 75 foot boat is crazy.
No. It is reasonably standard. These are working boats not cruisers.

It is also irrelevant. Would you really feel better if only 20 people died?

The question is whether there were adequate escape paths...not the number of people.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:35 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
I guess I now know how to make money fast. Buy a little boat. Pack it with as many bunk beds as will fit, and start charging top dollar for scuba tours. Then just rake in the millions.
You may want to type the words "inspected passenger vessel requirements" into a search engine of your choice. When you're done, look into "USCG master's license requirements".

The fact that they had to go to another vessel to get out a mayday is indication of a huge problem that happened very fast.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There does appear to be an interesting and important issue here.

Should there be an escape hatch to the open sea from any berthing area?

No. It is a boat. You want as little openings as possible. There is always some idiot who may leave a porthole open while underway which would sink the boat.

Quote:
So basically the passengers were stuck down in the cargo hold, with no way to escape.
Yes, exactly but it isn't the cargo hold. It is the main living quarters.

Crew is housed behind the engines. It is much noisier. Their hatch is usually above the dive platform.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

It reminds me of when the Italian Coast Guard ordered Captain Francesco Schettino to get back on his ship. At least these guys didn't refuse. I hope every one of these crew members is charged with manslaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events