U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

4,276 posts, read 989,332 times

Advertisements

A lot of kids eat only junk food! This is nothing more than a rare situation to go blind from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

8,399 posts, read 3,296,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Aren't potato chips fortified with vitamins? If not maybe they should be.
Potato chips have no nutritional value at all. Recently when I saw my kids were getting most of their food intake from various forms of chips I enacted a no chip rule in our house. My 6yo daughter thought she was getting around the rule by munching on carrots instead. Gave me a smug little look and everything. She sure showed me!

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

8,318 posts, read 5,457,320 times
I guess this guy LOVES junk food. He should start a Youtube Vlog.

Blind for Junk.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

32,519 posts, read 20,483,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I blame the parents who seem totally okay with surrendering all their adult authority to their children.

One of my children only wanted to eat Cheerios day in and day out when she was ten. So, I took away her Cheerios completely. A "hunger strike" ensued. She fought the good fight by eating absolutely nothing for three days. (Yes, hubby and I locked up all the snack food so she couldn't sneak it in the middle of the night).

To make a long story short, when she got hungry enough, she ate what was put in front of her - meat, potatoes, vegetable, milk. For breakfast it was shredded wheat.

She hated me for many years after that, but she never went blind.

This.

Kids will eat junk if you let them, as parents it is part of the JOB to teach them to like healthier foods, and if you can't teach them to like it, force them to eat it anyway.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

22,771 posts, read 24,443,891 times
"Force" might be a strong word here, though. I can't say that none of my food issues stem from being made to sit at the table staring at a cold pile of canned peas that would make me gag if I tried to choke them down. That didn't really spark a lifelong love of eating healty.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

32,519 posts, read 20,483,857 times
Yeah, not force by holding them down and making them eat it. Force, by only having healthy food options available. Hunger is the best seasoning.

My stepson wanted only junk food, and it took him awhile to learn healthy food can taste good too. I never alienated him, but we had rules. I wouldn't serve canned peas, NO ONE likes those.

He didn't like it at the time, but now, at 17 he checks labels to make sure stuff doesn't have too much sugar, and makes an effort to balance what tastes good with what is healthy. He attributes that to me.

Favorite memory was from he was 9, which is when I first met him.... he looks down at the food confused, and looks up "Why is there grass in the food?". It was fresh herbs.

Favorite game was making a vegetarian meal and not telling him that until after he was done and had seconds.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,591,816 times
My ex husband had a cousin who's kid only ate pickles. Or so, that's what I was told.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,591,816 times
[quote=Mikala43;56103332]Yeah, not force by holding them down and making them eat it. Force, by only having healthy food options available. Hunger is the best seasoning.

My stepson wanted only junk food, and it took him awhile to learn healthy food can taste good too. I never alienated him, but we had rules. I wouldn't serve canned peas, NO ONE likes those.

He didn't like it at the time, but now, at 17 he checks labels to make sure stuff doesn't have too much sugar, and makes an effort to balance what tastes good with what is healthy. He attributes that to me.

Favorite memory was from he was 9, which is when I first met him.... he looks down at the food confused, and looks up "Why is there grass in the food?". It was fresh herbs.

Favorite game was making a vegetarian meal and not telling him that until after he was done and had seconds.[/quote]

Last Thanksgiving, we had my stepson and his family over for dinner. My stepson has custody of 2 of his young cousins, neither of whom like broccoli.

We served home make cheesy rice with broccoli. They each had 2 helpings before we told them what they were eating. The looks on their faces was priceless. lol

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

24,452 posts, read 30,613,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Are you sure this 17 year old boy didn't go blind from something else?
im not sure if it is what you are referring to but the article is obvious bs. i guess this makes certain people feel good that they eat better and also try to put down others who dont eat as much "healthy" food. the kid didnt go blind from his diet. what a crock.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,626,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure if it is what you are referring to but the article is obvious bs. i guess this makes certain people feel good that they eat better and also try to put down others who dont eat as much "healthy" food. the kid didnt go blind from his diet. what a crock.
But he actually did-- his poor diet led to malnutrition which in turn caused nutritional optic neuropathy along with several vitamin deficiencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events