U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
13,057 posts, read 4,433,266 times
Reputation: 10359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure if it is what you are referring to but the article is obvious bs. i guess this makes certain people feel good that they eat better and also try to put down others who dont eat as much "healthy" food. the kid didnt go blind from his diet. what a crock.
I think you're wrong here Captain, his body was deteriorating and it wasn't just the vision that was affected. Parents at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM
 
8,326 posts, read 5,461,083 times
Reputation: 9567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I think you're wrong here Captain, his body was deteriorating and it wasn't just the vision that was affected. Parents at fault.
Parents were the one that were buying the food. (Unless this kid started working at 14 to satisfy his junk food craving)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,455 posts, read 311,123 times
Reputation: 1449
I'm picturing the results of the next Pringles marketing meeting:

"Vitamin-enhanced Pringles, coming soon to a store near you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
24,458 posts, read 30,619,579 times
Reputation: 16355
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
But he actually did-- his poor diet led to malnutrition which in turn caused nutritional optic neuropathy along with several vitamin deficiencies.
he didnt. a guess isnt an actual determination.

the psychology of people believing it is more interesting. clearly, people want to believe that this is true.

people like believing things that they do are making them healthier. its like one moment you see in the news "eating tomatoes may reduce your chance of cancer" so a person says "oh i eat tomatoes, im reducing my chance at cancer! woohoo!" this kind of thing comes out all the time and then people evaluate if they just so happen to be doing something or consuming something and it will make them happy (even though it is likely not true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,535 posts, read 20,493,330 times
Reputation: 46967
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he didnt. a guess isnt an actual determination.

the psychology of people believing it is more interesting. clearly, people want to believe that this is true.

people like believing things that they do are making them healthier. its like one moment you see in the news "eating tomatoes may reduce your chance of cancer" so a person says "oh i eat tomatoes, im reducing my chance at cancer! woohoo!" this kind of thing comes out all the time and then people evaluate if they just so happen to be doing something or consuming something and it will make them happy (even though it is likely not true).

Definitely an odd stance. Anti- healthy food, science AND medicine.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 AM
 
1,749 posts, read 1,627,196 times
Reputation: 2639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he didnt. a guess isnt an actual determination.

the psychology of people believing it is more interesting. clearly, people want to believe that this is true.

people like believing things that they do are making them healthier. its like one moment you see in the news "eating tomatoes may reduce your chance of cancer" so a person says "oh i eat tomatoes, im reducing my chance at cancer! woohoo!" this kind of thing comes out all the time and then people evaluate if they just so happen to be doing something or consuming something and it will make them happy (even though it is likely not true).
Have you read the case presentation in the Annals of Internal Medicine? if not, you should. https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...junk-food-diet There's plenty of his medical data and history therein providing substance to his diagnosis and treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,476 posts, read 4,294,260 times
Reputation: 18841
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure if it is what you are referring to but the article is obvious bs. i guess this makes certain people feel good that they eat better and also try to put down others who dont eat as much "healthy" food. the kid didnt go blind from his diet. what a crock.
Irreversible optic neuropathy due to prolonged and severe vitamin A deficiency is well-described in the medical literature, Captain NJ. The only thing rare about this case is that it happened in a developed country, instead of a very poor Third World country like Nepal (which is where this sort of thing is usually seen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,020 posts, read 3,374,304 times
Reputation: 6998
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
according to the article, it was malnutrition, which affected the optic nerves. It is a shame it was not caught earlier. So we cannot blame only the chips, but his diet was awful.
If I'm not mistaken, I think it was caught several years earlier when he went to the doctor at the age of 14 and had to get vitamins (He went blind at the age of 17). He and his family were also advised he needed to change his diet and of the potential health complications that could arise.

So, what we have here is a person who was woefully noncompliant with the medical advice given to him and who clearly had enablers, namely his parents.

And I also wonder if something else is going on here given the texture and sensory issues the case study mentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,476 posts, read 4,294,260 times
Reputation: 18841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
And I also wonder if something else is going on here given the texture and sensory issues the case study mentions.
Yes, this type of severely restricted eating pattern is unfortunately often seen in cases of autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
17,470 posts, read 17,758,838 times
Reputation: 42778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
And I also wonder if something else is going on here given the texture and sensory issues the case study mentions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, this type of severely restricted eating pattern is unfortunately often seen in cases of autism.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top