U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 AM

3,640 posts, read 3,231,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Are you sure this 17 year old boy didn't go blind from something else?
I got the joke.

I had a picky eater. He never really went back to the foods that he turned down, but he did make great progress and is now adventurous in eating new foods. We made a game out of it and I didn't force food on him. I asked that he take a bite and if he didn't like it, he was allowed to spit it out. Then we went to grocery stores that had samples on Saturdays. We'd try new products and various cheeses. He learned it was ok to try new things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 AM

24,470 posts, read 30,630,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A person who consumes almost nothing with nutritional value gets nutritional optic neuropathy.

Zebras and horses. It's pretty safe to assume the one caused the other (horse). 100%? No. He could have some sort of metabolism problems that is filtering out what little nutrition he gets, sure (zebra).

Do you own stocks in Pringles or something?
yeah? how many people get nutritional opic neuropathy?

they dont know exactly what this kid was eating every day. they dont even understand the pathology of this diagnosis. its their best guess and its based on flawed information.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM

1,970 posts, read 792,885 times
I have an extremely picky 12 year old, and he's been like this since about 6-7 years old. I truly cannot comprehend what he's thinking in his brain that makes him REJECT MOST foods.

At home, he only eats cereal, fruit, milk, cheese, pasta, sometimes hot dog and eggs. And of course, junk food. No meat. When available, hamburgers and hot dogs. That's all. But at least he didn't only eat heavy carbs and white bread like this poor blind kid did.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 AM

7,483 posts, read 4,299,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I have an extremely picky 12 year old, and he's been like this since about 6-7 years old. I truly cannot comprehend what he's thinking in his brain that makes him REJECT MOST foods.

At home, he only eats cereal, fruit, milk, cheese, pasta, sometimes hot dog and eggs. And of course, junk food. No meat. When available, hamburgers and hot dogs. That's all. But at least he didn't only eat heavy carbs and white bread like this poor kid did.
Your kid's diet will probably improve as he gets older and his taste buds become less sensitive. And with the diet you're describing, he's not in danger of developing major nutritional deficiencies. The typical patient in the US who developed nutritional optical neuropathy is a severe alcoholic, who's getting nearly 100% of his calories from booze. Usually it's seen in people living in the Third World in near-famine conditions. You've got to go way beyond "picky eating" to develop it.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 PM

7,110 posts, read 3,941,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How could the parents not see that this poor diet wasnít going to be problematic

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...193653729.html
So sad that a kid's parents would let him eat that way. But I am shocked that it had that effect!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:34 PM

22,785 posts, read 24,459,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

At home, he only eats cereal, fruit, milk, cheese, pasta, sometimes hot dog and eggs. And of course, junk food. No meat. When available, hamburgers and hot dogs. That's all. But at least he didn't only eat heavy carbs and white bread like this poor blind kid did.
A friend of mine jokes that her 6-year-old exists on a diet of mac and cheese, gummy vitamins, and air.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:07 PM

4,026 posts, read 1,707,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Aren't potato chips fortified with vitamins? If not maybe they should be.

Yes they are, just like French fries, milkshakes, sodas, Big Macs, and cigarettes.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:31 PM

5,373 posts, read 1,064,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm picturing the results of the next Pringles marketing meeting:

"Vitamin-enhanced Pringles, coming soon to a store near you."
Now that would be something to really trigger the body positivists.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:50 PM

513 posts, read 109,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Potato chips have no nutritional value at all. Recently when I saw my kids were getting most of their food intake from various forms of chips I enacted a no chip rule in our house. My 6yo daughter thought she was getting around the rule by munching on carrots instead. Gave me a smug little look and everything. She sure showed me!
But potatoes have vitamins and minerals. This what I found for chips
https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nut...to-chips,4722/

Protein 2g
Vitamin B6 0.2mg 15%

Vitamin C 8.8mg 15%

Vitamin E 2.6mg 13%
Vitamin K 6.3μg 6%

Calcium 6.8mg 1%
Iron 0.5mg 6%
Magnesium 19mg 6%
Phosphorus 46.8mg 5%
Zinc 0.3mg 3%
Copper 0.1mg 5%
Manganese 0.1mg 7%
Selenium 2.3μg 4%

Thiamine 0mg 4%
Riboflavin 0.1mg 4%
Niacin 1.1mg 6%
Folate 12.8μg 4%
Choline 10.6mg 2%

Quote:
Not everyone is convinced by the case study.

"It's intriguing," say Allen Taylor, the director of the Nutrition and Vision Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts. "But it's important to remember it's a study of only one case with very limited information in it," Taylor says.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...lost-his-sight

Old 09-07-2019, 07:07 AM

6,060 posts, read 5,003,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah? how many people get nutritional opic neuropathy?

they dont know exactly what this kid was eating every day. they dont even understand the pathology of this diagnosis. its their best guess and its based on flawed information.
How could you possibly know this? You weren't there. Of course the parents could know what he eats everyday. They purchase the food. They are present with him at meal times. He probably doesn't go to school in the summer, so they are probably in his presence virtually 24/7 in those months, and on Saturdays and Sundays. As far as the diagnosis, how do you know they didn't do blood tests and see the vitamin deficiencies in the results of blood test, giving a definitive diagnosis? You are the one who is guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events