U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,240,806 times

Advertisements

How could the parents not see that this poor diet wasnít going to be problematic

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...193653729.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

5,844 posts, read 4,278,388 times
Maybe they eat the same now, whereas, they may have eaten more nutritious foods when they were younger, so it didn't affect them as much as their young son.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

10,582 posts, read 12,518,411 times
Are you sure this 17 year old boy didn't go blind from something else?

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

22,771 posts, read 24,438,109 times
I haven't read the study but I wonder if something else was going on here--autism, mental illness, neglect, etc. At least the kid could have been taking vitamins.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; Yesterday at 11:10 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

41,674 posts, read 3,176,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Are you sure this 17 year old boy didn't go blind from something else?
according to the article, it was malnutrition, which affected the optic nerves. It is a shame it was not caught earlier. So we cannot blame only the chips, but his diet was awful.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

52,617 posts, read 42,278,637 times
Years back didn't some girl eventually die after pretty much refusing to eat anything by chicken nuggets for years and years and years?

Sad, but that's mental illness.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 2,051,037 times
I blame the parents who seem totally okay with surrendering all their adult authority to their children.

One of my children only wanted to eat Cheerios day in and day out when she was ten. So, I took away her Cheerios completely. A "hunger strike" ensued. She fought the good fight by eating absolutely nothing for three days. (Yes, hubby and I locked up all the snack food so she couldn't sneak it in the middle of the night).

To make a long story short, when she got hungry enough, she ate what was put in front of her - meat, potatoes, vegetable, milk. For breakfast it was shredded wheat.

She hated me for many years after that, but she never went blind.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

479 posts, read 105,725 times
Aren't potato chips fortified with vitamins? If not maybe they should be.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

711 posts, read 521,423 times
It really is not the diet that caused this. I am sure I could follow the same diet and be just fine. The reason is I take a very high quality multivitamin made by the Life Extension foundation. It costs me $5 a month and makes up for any nutrient deficiencies. I eat a pretty atrocious diet myself, and I have experimented going on and off the multivitamin. I get weak, my vision noticeably deteriorates, and I feel like I am starving to death no matter how much I eat. I could not live without the multivitamin myself. It said he went blind from b vitamin deficiencies. He would not had he supplemented properly.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

6,029 posts, read 4,987,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
It really is not the diet that caused this. I am sure I could follow the same diet and be just fine. The reason is I take a very high quality multivitamin made by the Life Extension foundation. It costs me $5 a month and makes up for any nutrient deficiencies. I eat a pretty atrocious diet myself, and I have experimented going on and off the multivitamin. I get weak, my vision noticeably deteriorates, and I feel like I am starving to death no matter how much I eat. I could not live without the multivitamin myself. It said he went blind from b vitamin deficiencies. He would not had he supplemented properly.
Why don't you just eat better? Experiment with eating a proper diet maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events