Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 07:22 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
That's a myth. And most re-arrests are for probation violations, not sex offenses.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
A recidivism rate of nearly 70%--while lower than for other serious crimes--is still high. Let's not try to make it seem that its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's actually quite clear. IF there is any doubt - don't have sex.

I've been under the influence of everything under the sun. At no time did I molest an unconscious stranger.
Yep. Not to mention, Turner changed his story multiple times, so I really don't believe a word he says. https://www.theguardian.com/society/...estimony-laugh

Old 09-07-2019, 07:34 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It is, indeed, quite a feat to tell a story you can't recall.
Actually, she can tell what happened to her prior to her blackout and the aftermath. This could help other possible rape victims realize the signs that they could have been assaulted, and how to get the strength to overcome it.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That's your opinion, not fact.

I've never been in this situation.

I honestly don't consider it not too difficult as a guy to not be in this situation.
I have been in a near similar situation. I was drinking at a party, and then vaguely remember getting real tired and passing out somewhere, and then woken up to a fight that broke out. Later on, I found out the bartender had drugged my drink for a pal, and I was carried to a spare bedroom, but thank God my friends were looking out for me and beat the hell out of the dude and got us all out of there. I wonder if something similar happened to this girl, but she just didn't have good friends looking out for her.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Chanel Miller has written a book. I very much look forward to reading it.

https://people.com/crime/woman-sexua...chanel-miller/
She is going to set herself up for criticism about the timing of releasing her name in conjunction with the sale of her book...

Old 09-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I have been in a near similar situation. I was drinking at a party, and then vaguely remember getting real tired and passing out somewhere, and then woken up to a fight that broke out. Later on, I found out the bartender had drugged my drink for a pal, and I was carried to a spare bedroom, but thank God my friends were looking out for me and beat the hell out of the dude and got us all out of there. I wonder if something similar happened to this girl, but she just didn't have good friends looking out for her.
She was tested for drugs, and her impairment was caused by a very high level of alcohol, but not as high as Turner's. No other drugs.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're completely wrong.

His life has been completely ruined, and if he were to commit suicide at this point, it would be understandable.

He is now, in a situation that is worse than what used to be a leper colony. LITERALLY.

Google registering as a sex offender for life. For LIFE. This man is young, and he may live to be 85 as a complete recluse.

He will never be able to participate in society, ever, EVER, again. He can't be around children, even his family members. If he has siblings who have children, he can't be there for Thanksgiving of Christmas, if children are present.

He can't marry and produce children. He can't rent a place where children reside, like an apartment complex. He will have to register where he is living, for life, as a sex offender, and anyone in the neighborhood will be made aware of his presence, by a knock on the door by Law Enforcement.

He will have to darken his home on Halloween, so children won't ring his doorbell that night, and he can expect a law officer to visit him on halloween to ensure he's not handing out candy.

I think it might change your perspective on this case. Sincerely. Google what this will mean to him, and imagine living like that.

Even murderers don't live like he will have to live.

What you don't know, you don't know, Renee. Live as a registered sex offender is HELL.
Oh my goodness! Please don't have a stroke over this little punk! I'm sure he can find a woman to marry - men IN PRISON find women who'll marry them! I mean, if he was your age YOU just might since you sympathize and believe him so there are lots of others out there - correct? <shrug>

Old 09-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
She was tested for drugs, and her impairment was caused by a very high level of alcohol, but not as high as Turner's. No other drugs.
She was tested during the rape kit/hospital examination, hours after the fact. Doctors estimate that her blood alcohol level was much higher than recorded when the sexual assault took place.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
So alcohol can’t be used to turn someone into a vulnerable victim???

Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
A recidivism rate of nearly 70%--while lower than for other serious crimes--is still high. Let's not try to make it seem that its not.
Not just lower - far lower. But the myth is that it's higher. It would be even lower if it wasn't for the severe restictions that the registry imposes that often don't make sense. Most rearrests are for registry violations, not sex crimes. I don;t see a nationwide study but here's one from PA:

Quote:
FAILURE-TO-COMPLY ARRESTS REVEAL FLAWS IN SEX OFFENDER REGISTRIES

In one Pennsylvania county, more than three times as many people on the registry were charged in 2016 with failing to follow registry requirements than were charged with a new sexual offense
https://theappeal.org/skyrocketing-c...l-their-flaws/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events