U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 PM

20 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

I do not understand the vitriol aimed at the female victim. The rape was initially reported by two swedish men on bikes so if you posters are upset about what you deem as unfair accusations, why not start with these two men? Why aim all the vitriol at this young woman for "ruining Brock's life." Do you think she could have stopped him in her unconscious state from doing what he did, or possibly you believe she should have pled with the judge and jury to spare him? Did you know that criminal cases are brought by the state, not the victim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:13 PM

3,377 posts, read 2,349,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If anyone is drunk and passed out and not hurting anyone or likely to hurt anyone (not behind the wheel) it is absolutely a crime to victimize that person.

This is no different than getting raped by a dentist or dr when you are under for a procedure.

Absolutely nothing teachable about this. He was an predatory opportunist. He had been accused by another girl days before this happened. Emily was already passed out.
And yea sure, if she was drunk and driving she would be held accountable. But she wasn't.

yet if genders were reversed - I doubt you'd call the coed a sexual predator ( which turner IS)and absolve the male of any responsibility! Like it's inconceivable that a female can take advantage of a drunk male.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 1,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Great post!!! I was a sexual assault victim at age 9. Not once did I even consider writing a book about my assault. Even if I did, I doubt the world would have much sympathy for a male victim. But then things were different in 1973 as opposed to now. Professional victimhood wasn't the vocational choice it is now, and victims of such trauma were more interested in justice and healing, as opposed to fame and $$$l
Write a book, then. Or don't read her book if you don't wish to. Whatever your choices are.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effielin View Post
The responses supportive of the rapist in this thread are disgusting. Just disgusting.

Emotional much? ANYONE not blindly believing every word of every woman 100% of the time is a rapist supporter?? Yeah and I bet you're the kind that thought I loved every second of the time I lost my virginity at 9!!

Old 09-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you don't know the difference, I'll tell you. And I'm only referencing this one case, not a case where a man is at a party and learns a woman is in the next room passed out cold. In this comparison, I'm referring to the Chanel Miller case.

1. A woman develops a dental condition that is extensive enough that treatment will require her to be given anesthesia, or at least "twilight" medication. She undergoes the procedure, pays her bill and leaves, noticing later that it appears to her that she had sex of some kind that afternoon. She goes in to the ER and asks for an exam, and it was determined that the dentist who was alone in the room raped her during her procedure.

2. A woman who is visiting her family at Christmas discovers her younger college age sister is going to a frat party that evening. She's bored, and states her intention to go get completely wasted. While she was at the party, she did just that and also struck up a relationship with a younger college age man she had never met before, kisses him on several occasions, and accepts his invitation to go back to his dorm room. She's staggering drunk, as is he. Somewhere along the way to the dorm room, they are on the ground groping each other, and after a few minutes of being on the ground, she passes out, and he continues to finger her, likely not noticing she's passed out. Two bicyclists come by, witness this scene, and chase him down. We know the rest of the story.

Are you still going to try to state those two situations are the same?

If so, I'm done discussing this with you because there's really not much to say.

I think that poster is a man hating feminist that believes all men are guilty all the time, and "innocent until proven guilty" is for rapist supporters only.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:23 PM

15,136 posts, read 22,013,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet if she was driving, they would hold her fully responsible.
Seriously?! you do realize if she was driving it would have been her choice to get behind the wheel??
Just because she drank too much does not mean someone can penetrate her. Wow, just sickening.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I am rather surprised at your view on this as usually you are very supportive to victims. You are right it is a very slippery slope though as this view puts all the blame on the woman. So her being drunk means he could do whatever he liked? This means that no man will ever be responsible for their own behavior if the woman is drunk or incapacitated in some way.
you mean like women aren't ever held responsible when two drunk people have consensual sex? or drunk man and sober woman? Women can ONLY be victims, regardless? Got it

Old 09-07-2019, 10:48 PM

1,690 posts, read 488,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
you mean like women aren't ever held responsible when two drunk people have consensual sex? or drunk man and sober woman? Women can ONLY be victims, regardless? Got it
Most of the time women are the victims of sexual assault and rape. Not the other way around. There are male victims as well but they are not the majority.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:23 AM

12,963 posts, read 6,664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It's low, not high. Better treatment would lower it even more. But we send these people into prisons where they get abused.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rstood-crimes/

That's totally false. Rape is lack of consent, not lack of sexual pleasure. And just because you don't like fingering doesn't mean others don't It's a common form of foreplay.

I read that one. I've been studying this issue since 2016 when the Turner case made the news. It's really appalling what rape hysteria is doing to people. It;s just like the red scare back in the 50s.
That a recidivism rate of nearly 70% is "low" to you is interesting to say the least. In any case, I'll repeat that neither renee nor I claimed that the rate was higher than for certain other serious crimes, so your initial response was all the more odd.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:28 AM

12,963 posts, read 6,664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I do not understand the vitriol aimed at the female victim. The rape was initially reported by two swedish men on bikes so if you posters are upset about what you deem as unfair accusations, why not start with these two men? Why aim all the vitriol at this young woman for "ruining Brock's life." Do you think she could have stopped him in her unconscious state from doing what he did, or possibly you believe she should have pled with the judge and jury to spare him? Did you know that criminal cases are brought by the state, not the victim?
To be fair, I think most of the posters you are addressing are upset with the system vice the victim. Still, the extent that some are going to in order try to give credence to Turner's changing narrative and cast doubt on the sexual assault--which was witnessed by two disinterested parties--is mind-boggling to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events