U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:24 PM

13,019 posts, read 6,690,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
He laid in front of the bus.
Yep. No one forced him to sexually assault someone. And someone who was unconscious at that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM

15,410 posts, read 8,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
In a way he did. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. That doesn't mean the bus has the right to run over him. He was just a stupid horny insensitive alcoholic teen. He didn't need to be a convicted felon on the sex offender registry for life.
Jeez..."registry for life" - GET RID OF THE DA*NED REGISTRY THEN! I'm sick of it being the reason cited why no one should be convicted of an offense such as this! Or make it for 5 or 10 years unless they do it again. I'm sure people will still holler even then because the real issue is that men shouldn't have to think about or bother with consent...that is the sole job of your daughter, sister, mother, or aunt.

But...there have to be other real consequences rather than probation and 40 hours of public service, etc.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM

42 posts, read 4,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Jeez..."registry for life" - GET RID OF THE DA*NED REGISTRY THEN! I'm sick of it being the reason cited why no one should be convicted of an offense such as this! Or make it for 5 or 10 years unless they do it again. I'm sure people will still holler even then because the real issue is that men shouldn't have to think about or bother with consent...that is the sole job of your daughter, sister, mother, or aunt.

But...there have to be other real consequences rather than probation and 40 hours of public service, etc.
Being on a registry is better for the criminal than being locked up so they really should not complain. it seems particularly stupid that they would be upset about having to keep their house lights off on halloween night. Like, how horrible is that? Cruel and unusual punishment? I doubt the terms of Brocks' sex offender status even requires him not to be around children, there are probably different terms for him since he raped an adult. No reason to pity him or believe his registry status will inhibit his life that much. I saw a picture online of the "smaller" home his parents had to move into (Hint: it's still huge). He is a privileged guy.

It should be obvious why some people defend sex offenders so vehemently. It's obvious to me what the reason is. It should be obvious to everyone else.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:36 PM

11,015 posts, read 4,476,624 times
Quote:
Being on a registry is better for the criminal than being locked up so they really should not complain. it seems particularly stupid that they would be upset about having to keep their house lights off on halloween night. Like, how horrible is that? Cruel and unusual punishment? I doubt the terms of Brocks' sex offender status even requires him not to be around children, there are probably different terms for him since he raped an adult. No reason to pity him or believe his registry status will inhibit his life that much. I saw a picture online of the "smaller" home his parents had to move into (Hint: it's still huge). He is a privileged guy.

It should be obvious why some people defend sex offenders so vehemently. It's obvious to me what the reason is. It should be obvious to everyone else.
I think not everyone knows how the sex offender registry affects people.

You are now, a total outcast forever.

Want to come to a PTA meeting? Nope, that's in a school, and you won't be allowed in.

Want to live in an apartment complex? Nope. Go buy your own home.

Want to get a job? Good luck with that, background checks are done and if you're an SO, you're out.

Also, your name is on a public list and your neighbors all know who you are and are likely to tell each other, and harass you until you move, or worse, come beat you to a pulp.

(Google Sex Offender for Life and see what you find. It's not just about turning your lights off at Halloween. At all).

Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think not everyone knows how the sex offender registry affects people.

You are now, a total outcast forever.

Want to come to a PTA meeting? Nope, that's in a school, and you won't be allowed in.

Want to live in an apartment complex? Nope. Go buy your own home.

Want to get a job? Good luck with that, background checks are done and if you're an SO, you're out.

Also, your name is on a public list and your neighbors all know who you are and are likely to tell each other, and harass you until you move, or worse, come beat you to a pulp.

(Google Sex Offender for Life and see what you find. It's not just about turning your lights off at Halloween. At all).
He should have considered that before sticking his fingers in a woman's vagina without her consent.

Word on the street is that Brock has a job. So seems he does have an income. Can't be that persecuted after all.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 387,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I feel very ambivalent. I think we're on a VERY slippery slope when we make men criminally responsible for bad decisions women make. When one of the partners in a sex act passes out because he/she has knowingly gotten him/herself drunk, the other partner in the sex act should not suddenly become a felon. And that's what happened here, in my opinion.

Men also make horrible decisions they greatly regret when they are drunk. This is such a common story. A man goes into a strip bar (or a hotel bar, on a business trip), gets completely loaded and then later greatly regrets a sex act with a sex worker that he may or may not have had. He has vague memories of a possible sex act, and symptoms of an STD. And now he has to go home to his wife or girlfriend and he doesn't know what to do - tell her, or don't tell her? And in that case, no one - no one - has any empathy for the man's position although it's the exact same position, in mirror reverse, of this woman's position. Minus, of course, the two bicyclists riding by and witnessing what happened and rescuing her in the most humiliating position she's maybe ever been in.

In my opinion, what happened to her was a "teachable moment" as they say, and not a crime on anyone's part. She passed out during a sex act and he didn't notice. It was not a shining hour for either of them, how terribly vulgar, but we have decided to infanticize women and decide they can't consent to getting themselves drunk and consent to drunk sex.
Yeah, I am sure she loved getting leaves, twigs, and debris stuck in her vagina. Fun for all. Read the complete police report. You may be swayed that she was indeed a victim of Brock Turner.

I would apply Brock Turner's behavior to the drunk driver analogy raised an earlier post. Being drunk does not release him from culpability for his behavior.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yeah, I am sure she loved getting leaves, twigs, and debris stuck in her vagina. Fun for all.
According to the sick opinions of a few, Brock was just trying to "pleasure" the unconscious woman by fingering her. Bless his heart. And somehow, she just wound up in the hospital with debris in her vagina and two witnesses traumatized by what they saw. And poor little misunderstood Brock is now on a sex offender registry. Yet he was simply trying to "pleasure" her sexually...

Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 6,577,325 times
I bet all the posters defending Brock Turner would be calling for a longer sentence if he had assaulted them. Removing someone’s clothes behind a dumpster while they were passed out and digitally penetrating them. There is no defense for that.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-11-2019 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Typo and wording wrong

Old 09-12-2019, 06:20 AM

11,015 posts, read 4,476,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I bet all the posters defending Brock Turner would be calling for a longer sentence if he had assaulted them. Removing someone’s clothes behind a dumpster while they were passed out and digitally penetrating them. There is no defense for that.
This is becoming a game of verbal volleyball.

No one knows when she passed out, and I don't think a single person here stated they believed he had 1. carried her there unconscious or 2. happened upon her while she was unconscious and began fingering her.

Or at least, no one answered when I asked that before.

Your turn.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 AM

9,158 posts, read 14,446,928 times
Quote:
According to the sick opinions of a few, Brock was just trying to "pleasure" the unconscious woman by fingering her. Bless his heart. And somehow, she just wound up in the hospital with debris in her vagina and two witnesses traumatized by what they saw. And poor little misunderstood Brock is now on a sex offender registry. Yet he was simply trying to "pleasure" her sexually...
Surely you can do better than this. Hyperbole is just another word for "lying".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events