U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM

9,162 posts, read 14,458,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is becoming a game of verbal volleyball.

No one knows when she passed out, and I don't think a single person here stated they believed he had 1. carried her there unconscious or 2. happened upon her while she was unconscious and began fingering her.

Or at least, no one answered when I asked that before.

Your turn.
It's like they don't know the difference between defending a rapist and saying an assault may not have happened.

I'm still seeing people on social media maintain that Turner was a spoiled rich kid. That one little lie helped get Judge Persky recalled. I shudder to think how many people will be falsely convicted so judges don't lose their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I do not understand the vitriol aimed at the female victim. The rape was initially reported by two swedish men on bikes so if you posters are upset about what you deem as unfair accusations, why not start with these two men? Why aim all the vitriol at this young woman for "ruining Brock's life." Do you think she could have stopped him in her unconscious state from doing what he did, or possibly you believe she should have pled with the judge and jury to spare him? Did you know that criminal cases are brought by the state, not the victim?
I've addressed those two men and the accuser. They saw mere seconds of an entire night. She said she couldn't remember what happened but decided "he was guilty the moment I woke up".

Her VIS makes a really good case for not convicting, but few people take the time to really examine it. And the truth is no one could prove he did those things in his right mind, with malice aforethought AND with the knowledge she was unconscious or whether or not she was unconscious or fell asleep. But none of that is convenient to hysterical armchair advocates with an ax to grind.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Great post!!! I was a sexual assault victim at age 9. Not once did I even consider writing a book about my assault. Even if I did, I doubt the world would have much sympathy for a male victim. But then things were different in 1973 as opposed to now. Professional victimhood wasn't the vocational choice it is now, and victims of such trauma were more interested in justice and healing, as opposed to fame and $$$

Strange times indeed. That said, I wish her well
Truth. I don't even have a problem with writing a book about it if you could remember it happening vs buying the narrative being fed to you.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM

44 posts, read 7,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've addressed those two men and the accuser. They saw mere seconds of an entire night. She said she couldn't remember what happened but decided "he was guilty the moment I woke up".

Her VIS makes a really good case for not convicting, but few people take the time to really examine it. And the truth is no one could prove he did those things in his right mind, with malice aforethought AND with the knowledge she was unconscious or whether or not she was unconscious or fell asleep. But none of that is convenient to hysterical armchair advocates with an ax to grind.
Did he just accidentally pull her clothing off and start putting his fingers in her privates? He couldn't have been that impaired. That seems to be a deliberate act. If other people noticed she was unconscious, why didn't he?

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM

20,429 posts, read 10,626,180 times
Quote:

No one could prove that the drunk driver that killed my brother in law decided to drive while drunk in his right mind or with malice aforethought and with the knowledge that he would kill someone that night, yet he is in jail and will be until his 10 year sentence is finished.

Being drunk is not an excuse to breaking the law.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's like they don't know the difference between defending a rapist and saying an assault may not have happened.

I'm still seeing people on social media maintain that Turner was a spoiled rich kid. That one little lie helped get Judge Persky recalled. I shudder to think how many people will be falsely convicted so judges don't lose their jobs.
If Brock Turner had been a young, non-college educated black male, he'd be in prison right now. We have two systems of justice in our country, one for wealthy and whites, the other one for minorities and poor.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM

11,095 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Quote:
If Brock Turner had been a young, non-college educated black male, he'd be in prison right now. We have two systems of justice in our country, one for wealthy and whites, the other one for minorities and poor.
I disagree.

I think his perceived wealth and social standing worked against him. I think if this couple had been homeless, there wouldn't have even been charges filed, except maybe public indecency.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I disagree.

I think his perceived wealth and social standing worked against him. I think if this couple had been homeless, there wouldn't have even been charges filed, except maybe public indecency.
Incarceration rates are highest for black males than any other group. I seriously doubt a black man would have no charges filed against him for the same crime.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:08 AM

11,095 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Quote:
Incarceration rates are highest for black males than any other group. I seriously doubt a black man would have no charges filed against him for the same crime.
The category of crime matters.

In my observation, a black couple in this same situation would end up with public intox charges for both of them, and that would be that.

But I won't respond again on this topic, because I don't want to get the thread shut down.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,587,493 times
The clear truth is that an unconscious person can not give consent. Anyone that doesn’t understand that has a very big issue with morality and social and legal boundaries. It’s not even up for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events