U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 AM

9,167 posts, read 14,473,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
If Brock Turner had been a young, non-college educated black male, he'd be in prison right now. We have two systems of justice in our country, one for wealthy and whites, the other one for minorities and poor.
Where did you get the idea that Turner is/was wealthy?

Last edited by PassTheChocolate; 09-23-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The clear truth is that an unconscious person can not give consent. Anyone that doesn’t understand that has a very big issue with morality and social and legal boundaries. It’s not even up for debate.
Anyone who doesn't understand that you have to prove intent and that he knew when she passed out has a very big issue with logic and the law.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 AM

606 posts, read 130,454 times
Did anyone watch the 60 Minutes interview? It was pathetic. They didn't ask her any tough questions and they repeated the lie about it being behind a dumpster instead of next to a basketball court. Why not ask her why she told the probation department that Turner didn't need to be in prison?

Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You are probably correct. I think it’s pathetic that he got off so lightly.

. I think the judge saw a reflection of himself in this kid and proceeded accordingly.im sure the judge never did anything so drastic, but he probably felt the kids life shouldn’t be ruined for one “mistake” even though it was a terrible and heinous crime. There are even posters on here defending Brock Turner because they blame the girl and think it was an over reaction. People can not just go around and insert their fingers into unconscious peoples genitalia, and no one wants that to happen to themselves.
You people throw "victim blaming" around so much it's losing its impact. Literally NO ONE blames her for being assaulted. We're saying a few seconds witnessed by two guys on bikes does not a sexual assault make. We're saying there isn't enough evidence to establish that any of what happened was the result of malice aforethought. There is a very REAL possibility that this might have been a case of two people getting really drunk and making bad decisions and that is far better option, but you folks are to way too invested in her victimization. THAT is disturbing.

The judge did his job to the letter. He followed the recommendations of the parole board who weighed out the evidence and testimony of everyone involved, including intoxication experts and psychologists. He lost his job anyway, to woefully uninformed and/or misandrist neo-feminists with an ax to grind. And the consequences will be dire, especially for people of color. Judges don't want to lose their jobs. Our mass incarceration problem just got worse.

Last edited by PassTheChocolate; 09-23-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Problem is that some folks on here seem to think it's reasonable for two guys from afar to realize a woman is unconscious and that the situation looks odd, yet the guy on top of her is innocently oblivious and therefore gets off the hook for his assaultive behavior.
The problem is in the abject failure in intellect and logic that limits one's focus to those few seconds witnessed by two passersby, the rabid proclivity to dismiss all the other facts available, and the willful refusal to acknowledge the difference between letting someone "off the hook" for sexual assault and questioning whether or not it actually took place - even though it's there in plain English and small words, in every thread on this matter, over and over and over again.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Did anyone watch the 60 Minutes interview? It was pathetic. They didn't ask her any tough questions and they repeated the lie about it being behind a dumpster instead of next to a basketball court. Why not ask her why she told the probation department that Turner didn't need to be in prison?
I did. It was just as I expected. A big nothing burger. Cuz, you know, she doesn't have a story. She doesn't remember.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:05 AM

606 posts, read 130,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I did. It was just as I expected. A big nothing burger. Cuz, you know, she doesn't have a story. She doesn't remember.
She talked like she was reading from a script that she had memorized - slow and halting. They also did not mention how drunk Turner was.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM

1,784 posts, read 515,494 times
Another segment on the victim and her book.

https://apple.news/AvwtQKD3OQF6XsuhjBmhskA

Old 09-23-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Another segment on the victim and her book.

https://apple.news/AvwtQKD3OQF6XsuhjBmhskA
"It caused her anger and 'self-induced depression' but says there was 'this wonderful moment where I'm like, all of these voices in these transcripts are literally in my hands, I can pick them up and put them down. But I own all of them. I get to pick out whichever words I want and assemble them how I want'.

'There is a lot of power in being able to craft the narrative again
,' she adds."

Yeah.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
She talked like she was reading from a script that she had memorized - slow and halting. They also did not mention how drunk Turner was.
NPR did a thing as well.

"The case became notorious for its illustration of the race and wealth gap in sentencing,"

"I didn't know that money could make the cell doors swing open."

Why is this still a thing? He was not wealthy. His family was not wealthy.

"i didn't know that if a woman was drunk when the violence occurred, she wouldn't be taken seriously [...] I didn't know that being a victim was synonymous with not being believed."

Take what seriously? Believe what? She.has.no.memory.of.what.happened.

Even NPR is drinking the Kool-Aid.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/23/76202...y-brock-turner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events