U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 04:24 AM

2,809 posts, read 786,168 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think it's a bit weird about the Swedish grad students realizing that she was being assaulted? At first I fed into the good fortune that the brave, caring guys would rescue this woman/catch the guy. But now in thinking about it, If I had stumbled upon Emily/Chantal and Brock I would have thought it was just some horny undergrads having sex outside. I would have averted my eyes. Of course I would have intervened had the woman been yelling and crying for help. But since was passed out this obviously wasn't the case. How did they know she was passed out and just not quiet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Does anyone think it's a bit weird about the Swedish grad students realizing that she was being assaulted? At first I fed into the good fortune that the brave, caring guys would rescue this woman/catch the guy. But now in thinking about it, If I had stumbled upon Emily/Chantal and Brock I would have thought it was just some horny undergrads having sex outside. I would have averted my eyes. Of course I would have intervened had the woman been yelling and crying for help. But since was passed out this obviously wasn't the case. How did they know she was passed out and just not quiet?

So you want to throw the people who did the right thing under the bus? for what purpose?

Old 09-24-2019, 05:30 AM

11,686 posts, read 14,599,026 times
Why shouldnít she tell her story? If nothing else, maybe it will make young men and women think twice about how their actions affect themselves and others.

I have a long-held (and very unpopular) belief that women have to take some personal responsibility for putting ourselves in situations that make us vulnerable. While it would be ideal for predators to stop preying, itís just not reality. If we arenít vigilant for our own safety, can we expect others to be vigilant for us?

I may read the book to see how/if she addresses the topic of personal responsibility. I think this is where she can really make a difference.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:05 AM

614 posts, read 131,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
NPR did a thing as well.

"The case became notorious for its illustration of the race and wealth gap in sentencing,"

"I didn't know that money could make the cell doors swing open."

Why is this still a thing? He was not wealthy. His family was not wealthy.

"i didn't know that if a woman was drunk when the violence occurred, she wouldn't be taken seriously [...] I didn't know that being a victim was synonymous with not being believed."

Take what seriously? Believe what? She.has.no.memory.of.what.happened.

Even NPR is drinking the Kool-Aid.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/23/76202...y-brock-turner
NPR has been going down hill for a while now. I noticed a year or two ago how left they were veering. They and no one else mentions the Sam Ukwuachu case. That black Baylor football player got a 6 month sentence for rape and didn't get any backlash. Doesn't fit the narrative.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sfer/32145453/

Interesting case though. The verdict got tossed then reinstated then tossed again. Now he's getting a new trial.

Quote:
The 10th Court of Appeals ruled Ukwuachu should get a new trial because his "due process rights were violated by the use of false testimony."
https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/...e-0e7ec871bb4d

I think Turner should get a new trial too. He didn't actually have a good lawyer for his trial. That's another myth about the case.

Quote:

The sex laws in Sweden are very restrictive. They even have “negligent rape” and “negligent sexual abuse” laws now.

https://www.thelocal.se/20190712/neg...-led-to-change

They were also totally discredited by the forensic report. No one seems to mention that. (doesn't fit the narrative ). They clearly thought that Turner was raping the woman but the forensic exam proved beyond any doubt that no rape occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
So you want to throw the people who did the right thing under the bus? for what purpose?
They didn't do the right thing. they acted like vigilantes and attacked Turner. That's why he ran. They could have just called 911.

Last edited by mascoma; 09-24-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-26-2019, 05:16 AM

6,505 posts, read 6,601,393 times
She was unconscious for many hours. She could not give consent and they could see she was unconscious. It’s fairly easy to tell the difference between a conscious and unconscious person.

There was no rape, but she had abrasions and blood from the assault. She had pine needles and detritus in her vagina. It was clearly assault and the students who helped her were right to intervene.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:57 PM

70 posts, read 13,819 times
Quote:
You raise an excellent point. One I hadn't thought of. I wonder just how it was these 2 "Swedish students" were able to determine she was unconscious, and whether they actually approached Brock/Chanel because they believed she was being assaulted. I'm very curious to read both their police statements and the trial transcripts.

And as an aside, I still haven't figured out why the media insists on repeatedly mentioning that these two "heroes" were from Sweden. What's the relevance? Would it have been pointed out if they were from Nebraska?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Why shouldnít she tell her story? If nothing else, maybe it will make young men and women think twice about how their actions affect themselves and others.

I have a long-held (and very unpopular) belief that women have to take some personal responsibility for putting ourselves in situations that make us vulnerable. While it would be ideal for predators to stop preying, itís just not reality. If we arenít vigilant for our own safety, can we expect others to be vigilant for us?

I may read the book to see how/if she addresses the topic of personal responsibility. I think this is where she can really make a difference.
Don't hold your breath. To date, Chanel has taken virtually no personal responsibility for her behavior that night. According to her, she simply misjudged that her tolerance had "significantly lowered since college", though college was a mere 6 months earlier. She admittedly has no memory of that night, but somehow she knows she was assaulted. This woman is a professional victim. Read the book if you wish, but get it from the library or online somewhere. Don't pay a dime for it.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM

15,507 posts, read 8,880,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
Don't hold your breath. To date, Chanel has taken virtually no personal responsibility for her behavior that night. According to her, she simply misjudged that her tolerance had "significantly lowered since college", though college was a mere 6 months earlier. She admittedly has no memory of that night, but somehow she knows she was assaulted. This woman is a professional victim. Read the book if you wish, but get it from the library or online somewhere. Don't pay a dime for it.
Well, I don't think many women like having pine needles shoved up their vaginas so I doubt she was asking for that to be done to her...if you think lack of memory from passing out qualifies as being unconscious and unable to give consent, then yeah, she was assaulted.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, I don't think many women like having pine needles shoved up their vaginas so I doubt she was asking for that to be done to her...if you think lack of memory from passing out qualifies as being unconscious and unable to give consent, then yeah, she was assaulted.
I honestly have no idea how many women enjoy having pine needles shoved up their vaginas. Like you, I can only assume it's a very small percentage. Can you cite any evidence at all that Brock or anyone else "shoved" pine needles into Chanel's vagina?
Now, before you answer, understand that the mere presence of pine needles in her vagina is not sufficient to indicate that someone "shoved" them there.

I think there's a real question as to whether Chanel gave consent or not, and at what point she passed out. Brock claimed that she consented. SHE DOESN'T REMEMBER.

I'm willing to hear you out renee, but we have to stick to the facts.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:34 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
I honestly have no idea how many women enjoy having pine needles shoved up their vaginas. Like you, I can only assume it's a very small percentage. Can you cite any evidence at all that Brock or anyone else "shoved" pine needles into Chanel's vagina?
Now, before you answer, understand that the mere presence of pine needles in her vagina is not sufficient to indicate that someone "shoved" them there.

I think there's a real question as to whether Chanel gave consent or not, and at what point she passed out. Brock claimed that she consented. SHE DOESN'T REMEMBER.

I'm willing to hear you out renee, but we have to stick to the facts.

Yes of course, you are correct!!! Pine needles will attack a womans vagina if she isn't careful!!! smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events