U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sure, a dogs natural instinct is to be part of a pack, and to hunt. And if the SHTF scenario ever comes about feral dogs will probably become a major threat. However that doesn't make dogs BAD, unless you mean bad in the same way that people are bad.
In this particular instance I don't think you can say it's the dogs' fault for doing what dogs do. It is their owners fault for not training and containing their dogs properly. The 'major investment of time and effort to prevent them from being bad' is part and parcel of being a responsible dog owner. If done properly dogs can be useful, either as work animals or as pets. These weren't feral dogs, they were only 'bad' because their owners were irresponsible.
From my observation I would say 90% of dog owners are irresponsible, ignorant, lazy.
I equate it with the dog cruelty:
-A dog is never walked: spends its time in a small yard, bored out of its mind and is barking/ yapping at everything that moves or makes a slight sound
- a dog is never properly trained and disciplined: the dog owners find it “ cute” when the dog jumps on people, or being “mouthy”, etc
- they do not pick up after their dog or pick up and throw the bag on the ground- even every one of u says that they pick up- there was at least a few times - that you did not!
The dogs that “reside” in the backyards are never or really picked after - leading to rats problems
- the dogs are allowed to run off leash- in spite of the signs” dogs must be leashed”
Or the dogs are on the beach or somewhere where the sign explicitly states that “ dogs are not allowed”

As a society we generally are overly concerned more with dogs than people..
wish we had our priorities straight...

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-07-2019 at 11:23 AM..

 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
How do you figure that? People let their cats run loose all over other people's yards. A neighbor's cat at my former home decided to create a DIY letterbox under my deck. I had a fence, but it could get through. My dogs, on the other hand, stayed in my fence, in my yard and didn't bother anyone. I also had to stop hanging ferns on my porch because birds would build nests and cats would come kill the babies. I had to put moth balls and strips of aluminum foil on my porch furniture to keep the cats from jumping up and leaving muddy footprints all over it. When my house was for sale, we started finding dead mice in my driveway, surely dragged there by a cat. I had to chase one off when I saw it batting around a little chipmunk who was trying to get away. Cats aren't a nuisance? I BEG TO DIFFER!
Outside cats are definitely a nuisance and a cause for a decline in song birds population- they kill millions of birds annually and not because they hungry, but for “ sport”
If you have a farm-then you can have a “working” animal- cats for rats, dogs for herding, guarding,etc.
If you have a pet: a cat or a dog- keep itinside your home and don’t leave them unattended in the yard!
It is getting out of control: I bet all the water pollution are not only from fertilizer but from the animal poop which washes off the streets to the lakes, rivers, oceans. You drink that $***, oh yes, you do..

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-07-2019 at 11:24 AM..
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Tell that to all of the war dogs who have saved lives, guarded soldiers, carried medicines and supplies.
Tell that to dogs who are police dogs, drug dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, and protect children. Yeah, they sound like real nuisances. Tell that to dogs who are not nuisances but are considered part of our families and give us unconditional love. Obviously, you are not a dog lover and lack the capacity to understand that.
The big distinction is that nobody suggests to get rid of working dogs, however we need to pair down the number of pets through economic means: annual licensing fees and possibly a taxation. Hope homeowners insurance will go up for all dog owners.
And make renters take an insurance on the dogs as well
The dog that sits on your couch is not a hero
Like someone succinctly put it: taxation of the owners of the “ yappers and crappers” may help to reduce the population
Hope the family of the girl will sue the dog owners out of their home...
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM
 
21,479 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Reputation: 40087
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If the cat simply runs and hides, as cats due when strange humans show up as well, I don't see the problem with the dog visiting.

As for the story of the neighbor needed mace is it really common to see dogs running loose? That is crazy and all on the owner. We live in a rural area here, and I know this is more common in rural areas, but the only loose dogs I have seen are captured by passing motorists (including us) and the owners are found as we all know owners don't want their dogs running loose.
I think you should reread my post, because nowhere did I say the dogs aren’t welcome at my house or that I was upset at people for bringing their dogs. I was upset at the one guy, who was drinking and thought my baby’s fear was amusing, and kept trying to force his dog on my cat.

My point was that I did not trust the dogs enough to have access to my cat, despite their owners guaranteeing they would not hurt my cat. Because you never can predict how one animal is going to be with another, especially when one is showing fear.

I have owned dogs before, and I love dogs. Nowhere did I say they aren’t welcome at my home. I do however think people should ask first though.

We do have a next-door neighbor who used to let his pitbull run loose through the neighborhood. It was a friendly dog to people, but I wouldn’t have trusted him around my cat either and I did not think the dog should be allowed to be loose. Luckily his wife left him and took the dog with her.
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 AM
 
21,479 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Reputation: 40087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Typically....you haven't given an ounce of thought to what you just said.

Yeah, dogs are wonderful animals....if only you make the major investment of time and effort to prevent them from being bad. To prevent them from being themselves.

Good grief...................
It’s not to prevent them from being themselves, it’s to socialize them. Even humans need to be socialized. That’s why parents make little children say please and thank you and to share their toys. If you raise children with no rules and no discipline and no socialization and no training, they are highly likely to grow up to be a danger to society too. When people who grew up without rules become adults who live outside of rules and the law, would you say they are just being themselves?
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly87 View Post
Omg what a terrifying and sad way to die. Dogs are my greatest fear of all and they can sense that easily. Hopefully I never have to encounter something as horrible as that.
Carry a metal flashlight - and hit it on the nose, ears, teeth- as hard as you can if attacked, try to stay on your feet! Yell as loud as you can
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
This forum is big enough to have pretty much all sorts including the type of folks who you may rarely encounter in every day life as they’d normally keep their weirdness concealed from strangers. Crazy dog-hating cranks are just one of those things, same as crazy cat ladies which you also find on here. Hey its the internet, people let their freak flag fly proudly.
The anti dog sentiment here as people can express themselves freely anonymously as nowadays nobody can express their true feelings towards dogs ownership for fear of being ostracized- our society became truly crazy with “ the love of dogs”

Let me break the news for you: you are the one who is “ the crank”: you are spending tons of money on vet bills, hauling heavy bags of “the organic, grain free” dog food, vacuuming their fur, covered in their saliva and the big one-
just think of it- you are picking up or suppose to- dog’s s*** every day!
And you are calling yourself sane?
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Miami-Dade
442 posts, read 159,131 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I live in a county and community where dogs are supposed to be on a leash when they are being walked. Most people comply but I have one neighbor who just can't seem to follow the rules. Just this morning his unleashed dog approached me and put his nose up against my kneecap. The owner retrieved the dog and apologized even though this is the second time this has happened. Given that we are moving soon I decided not to make an issue of this even though I did report it to my neighbor who is on the HOA board. I've been an avid walker for 40 years and I've been bitten 3 times. Once by a Boxer, once by a Weimaraner, and once by a mixed breed. I carry mace with me but no amount of mace would stop 3 vicious dogs. Even a handgun wouldn't be sufficient if you were not fast enough with it. I realize how much people love their dogs and most people do take proper care of them. However, we've all met people in life who use their dogs as a power symbol. They delight in scaring the wits out of innocent people. It truly saddens me that this young woman was killed. Nothing will bring her back but I do hope the owners of these dogs spend many years in prison. When they get out they should never be allowed to possess any more animals of any kind whatsoever.
This exactly. The problem is not really dogs but rather a national culture that supports irresponsible pet ownership. People keep talking about "bad owners" as if this is some fringe group living way outside of the law, but that is not the case. Far too many people that looooove dogs and not nearly enough that actually know how to properly care for them.

I do like dogs and I've never even been bitten by one, so I don't think I'm being biased at all. I just hate to hear about stories like this one.
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM
 
868 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Are you trying to be clever, or do you really not know the difference?
Autocorrect?
 
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
 
6,955 posts, read 4,314,414 times
Reputation: 17852
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Some people appear to be simply missing a gene that makes them bond with animals, that most of us have. I don’t have a gene for bonding with babies. It doesn’t make me superior or more rational than people who have babies and have that gene that makes them love babies. It just means I don’t feel what they feel. Therefore I can’t understand what they feel. The difference is I don’t feel the need to judge it just because I don’t understand it.

The poster complaining about quality-of-life etc. however it’s just ridiculous. I’m pretty sure these posters complain about just about everything. If you look at their posting history I am going to guess it’s a whole lot of complaints about a whole lot of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This post is the most ridiculous, but entertaining thing I've read all week.
I read the post several times carefully and can't see one thing in it that is ridiculous. I don't know if every personality quirk can be traced to a "gene," but I have known plenty of people who don't care for babies and I have no reason to think they are psychopathic or whatever you are thinking, Java.

As a matter of fact, I'm not a huge baby-lover myself. I had three babies and of course I loved them and cared for them because they were mine, but given the choice between holding a baby who is unrelated to me, and holding a puppy or kitten, I'll pick the animal. YES, I would save the baby out of a burning building instead of the dog or cat, but random babies don't make me feel all gooey and maternal. Kittens do. Make whatever you want of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top