U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:34 PM

9,775 posts, read 18,605,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That is so sad and tragic to die like that. One of the dogs was shot and killed. The other four dogs should be destroyed as well.
Agreed. The dogs will kill again if given the chance. Sad story.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

5,729 posts, read 2,489,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly87 View Post
Omg what a terrifying and sad way to die. Dogs are my greatest fear of all and they can sense that easily. Hopefully I never have to encounter something as horrible as that.
I'm so sorry you live with that fear. Totally can understand that. Ugh I hate that for you. That's exactly why I am the way I am with my dogs. I assume everyone is afraid and act accordingly.

My current dogs are highly trained (by real pros before I even got them- I have protection dogs GSDs not mastiff/pit bulls.) They don't jump (omg hell no) or get near other people- ever, because I am in control at ALL times & they are trained that that behavior is unacceptable. They are directly next to me on an extremely short lead. (The lead isn't needed, they wouldn't move from their position regardless but I use it well because it's the law and visually somewhat more reassuring for others. I don't bring them where the general public is out and about- when walking in a residential area, again, my dog is directly next to me, I move, he moves, I stop, he stops....(not willy-nilly, 400 ft ahead of me all over the place dragging the owner like many do). and if it's super busy out, I just don't do it. I'll go later on or a different location altogether. It's all basic consideration of others and the fear many people have.

Is pepper spray legal where you are? It is highly effective in a dog situation. Just having it on you may give you some sense of power/control back.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

966 posts, read 337,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
The anti dog sentiment here as people can express themselves freely anonymously as nowadays nobody can express their true feelings towards dogs ownership for fear of being ostracized- our society became truly crazy with “ the love of dogs”

Let me break the news for you: you are the one who is “ the crank”: you are spending tons of money on vet bills, hauling heavy bags of “the organic, grain free” dog food, vacuuming their fur, covered in their saliva and the big one-
just think of it- you are picking up or suppose to- dog’s s*** every day!
And you are calling yourself sane?
I don't even own a dog. The fact that you assume that and then go on some angry tirade about it...says a lot more about you. I don't need to own a dog to not have some deep-seated hatred of them lol, I'd say most people don't whether they own a dog or not.

It's clear some people here have some pretty over the top levels of rage that is probably more concerning for the community at-large than some millennial owning a French bulldog and calling it their soulmate.

Remember that cruelty towards animals has been linked to violent and homicidal behavior.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 PM

868 posts, read 240,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I'm so sorry you live with that fear. Totally can understand that. Ugh I hate that for you. That's exactly why I am the way I am with my dogs. I assume everyone is afraid and act accordingly.

My current dogs are highly trained (by real pros before I even got them- I have protection dogs GSDs not mastiff/pit bulls.) They don't jump (omg hell no) or get near other people- ever, because I am in control at ALL times & they are trained that that behavior is unacceptable. They are directly next to me on an extremely short lead. (The lead isn't needed, they wouldn't move from their position regardless but I use it well because it's the law and visually somewhat more reassuring for others. I don't bring them where the general public is out and about...when walking in a residential area, again, my dog is next to me (not 400 ft ahead of me all over the place dragging the owner like many do). and if it's super busy out, I just don't do it. I'll go later on or a different location altogether. It's all basic consideration of others and the fear many people have.

Is pepper spray legal where you are? It is highly effective in a dog situation. Just having it on you may give you some sense of power/control back.
Thank you for being an intelligent, responsible and respectful of others dog owner.
In addition- your dogs appreciate you so very much: the dogs love/ prefer structure that an “alpha dog”- you- provides for them and lead them.
They are calmer, more well rounded and much happier then the the dogs of “casual, everything goes”, “how cute” type dog owners.
You are 1 in a hundred- wish there would be more dog owners like you!
Your post and your examples are appreciated very much!

Old 09-07-2019, 01:35 PM

16,127 posts, read 13,875,966 times
In my opinion, there are just too many idiotic dog owners. Go browse your local "lost dog" page, either pawboost or facebook, the staggering number of people who lost their dogs is unbelievable. Most reasons are the same, he ran out of the yard, hopped out the car window, blew through the door, it is like they just go through life haphazardly without a thought of taking a bit more precautions securing their dogs.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:37 PM

868 posts, read 240,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't even own a dog. The fact that you assume that and then go on some angry tirade about it...says a lot more about you. I don't need to own a dog to not have some deep-seated hatred of them lol, I'd say most people don't whether they own a dog or not.

It's clear some people here have some pretty over the top levels of rage that is probably more concerning for the community at-large than some millennial owning a French bulldog and calling it their soulmate.

Remember that cruelty towards animals has been linked to violent and homicidal behavior.
You are going on a limb here equating a rational pragmatic attitude towards pet dogs with cruelty and progressing to my potentially “violent and homicidal behavior?
How did you even come to this conclusion? Isn’t it extreme on your part? Do you even know how many people are bitten by dogs every year?

You are just reinforcing my comments about the massive intolerance of so called dog lovers to even a shadow of criticism regarding the irresponsible dog owners behavior and perhaps a necessity to regulate a dog population ( by severely limiting breeding and a number of “pet dogs” the household could own, licensing, additional homeowners insurance, taxes, etc, etc)
5 dogs in one household formed a pack and killed an innocent girl!
In the city, not on a rural acreage?
You don’t see anything wrong with that? I understand, the owners are irresponsible, but 5 dogs in one household?
Look up a thread “a Virginia girl killed by her own 2 dogs”
My points:
We have indulgent, ignorant owners who treat animals- wolves relatives btw as cuddly teddy bears- toys
We have strong healthy animals with nothing to do, but to just lay on the sofa all day
An abundant of energy in dogs due to over an abundance of food available to them and not having “a job”, boredom, etc
What can go wrong?
And by drawing attention to the real problem I am being called a “dog hater”, “crank”, “violent and homicidal”?
Some of you guys are as vicious as dogs who killed the girl.
Not likely the French bulldog will be able to kill a person, but do we even study which breeds bite people the most?
It could be those small breeds?
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/
We have a few hundreds people infected by measles last year with a single digit deaths and we immediately have new laws and all the media talk about it every day.
Having 4.7 mill people bitten every year- half of them children- and no measures taken!
It is absurd in society’s attitudes...

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-07-2019 at 01:59 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 01:48 PM

6,955 posts, read 4,314,414 times
Quote:
The practice of having a pet and the necessities of people having to pick up the poop- is somewhat insane- don't you think our ancestors would be amused at minimum or “ die laughing” that in the future people will have dogs sleeping in their beds and people picking up the poop after them? In a cute little baggies?

The fact is that the truth hurts and you have nothing to say so you are getting “personal”?
No, our ancestors would not be laughing. You need to study a little history. People have had dogs sleeping in their beds, or at least in their houses/huts/tents/caves, for millennia. Whether or not they cleaned up after them obviously depends on the circumstances. Throughout most of human history there has been no need for people to clean up after THEMSELVES, as far as that goes; the great outdoors was big enough for all the poop. Things have changed.

Quote:
It is a public forum and I do not disclose personal information.
Truly hilarious. Too personal? "What kind of pet do you have?" "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you."

I can assure you that not one person here is in favor of allowing packs of dogs to kill people. I certainly am not. I also have a neighborhood association which already has strict leash laws, dog licensing laws, and a limit of three pets (dogs and cats combined) per household. I don't have any problem with any of that, considering that I live in a densely populated area. Our association also maintains a dog park, and our current taxes fund the local animal shelter. There are no packs of dogs around here, and all backyards are fenced. Is that enough for you, or do we need to do more to control and/or eliminate dogs?

Last edited by saibot; 09-07-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 02:02 PM

8,850 posts, read 6,280,214 times
Quote:
You are going on a limb here equating a rational pragmatic attitude towards pet dogs with cruelty and progressing to my potentially “violent and homicidal behavior?
How did you even come to this conclusion? Isn’t it extreme on your part? Do you even know how many people are bitten by dogs every year?

You are just reinforcing my comments about the massive intolerance of so called dog lovers to even a shadow of criticism regarding the irresponsible dog owners behavior and perhaps a necessity to regulate a dog population ( by severely limiting breeding and a number of “pet dogs” the household could own, licensing, additional homeowners insurance, taxes, etc, etc)
5 dogs in one household formed a pack and killed an innocent girl!
You don’t see anything wrong with that? I understand, the owners are irresponsible, but 5 dogs in one household?
Look up a thread “a Virginia girl killed by her own 2 dogs”
My points:
We have indulgent, ignorant owners who treat animals- wolves relatives btw as cuddly teddy bears- toys
We have strong healthy animals with nothing to do, but to just lay on the sofa all day
An abundant of energy in dogs due to over an abundance of food available to them and not having “a job”, boredom, etc
What can go wrong?
Given the horror that prompted this thread....and given the 800,000 attacks per year in the US alone severe enough to require urgent care, the utter gall it would take to attack and insult those who who are fed up and angry with those who enable and even encourage it is beyond all attempts at understanding.

Dog problem denial is an epidemic sickness that threatens us all. And I do mean sickness.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:04 PM

21,479 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I read the post several times carefully and can't see one thing in it that is ridiculous. I don't know if every personality quirk can be traced to a "gene," but I have known plenty of people who don't care for babies and I have no reason to think they are psychopathic or whatever you are thinking, Java.

As a matter of fact, I'm not a huge baby-lover myself. I had three babies and of course I loved them and cared for them because they were mine, but given the choice between holding a baby who is unrelated to me, and holding a puppy or kitten, I'll pick the animal. YES, I would save the baby out of a burning building instead of the dog or cat, but random babies don't make me feel all gooey and maternal. Kittens do. Make whatever you want of that.

I never said they were psychopathic. I simply said they don't have the gene that allows them to bond or feel love for animals. Just like I don't have it for babies. It;s not an insult. It just explains why they can't understand the very different feelings for animals most of us have. I fell in love with animals from the time I was a small child, it wasn't conscious, I just looked at and felt a warm soft animal and immediately felt bonded to it. It's nothing to do with rational thought or logic, you either feel affection toward animals or you don't. But if you don't it's because you weren't born that way, not because you're some superior being with more logical thought processes. Just like my not having the baby bonding gene doesn't make me superior or more logical than those who feel love for a baby as soon as they hold one.

My point was I can't really understand the people who love babies, just as these posters seem incapable of understanding how we can love animals. The difference is I know that I can't understand their feelings and because of that I don't judge them.

I would still save a human baby over an animal if I had to choose though. I think you guys take things to a fringe extreme that isn't necessary and doesn't apply to most people. Most people who love animals are not going to save a kitten over a baby. And yes, it is ridiculous to suggest we should get rid of all dogs because some have harmed people. I think most extreme fringe ideas are ridiculous.

I feel like they are trying to divide us into groups who either worship pets as Gods or think the planet would be better off if they were all destroyed. Again, fringe ideas that do not apply to the vast majority of people.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM

21,479 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Quote:
Your comment shows exactly why people here say that our society has gone insane promoting the love of dogs
Why do you even need to defend yourself from those bat $*** crazy “dog lovers”?
Your house- your rules!
Hopefully, some people are starting to understand the intolerance of pro-dogs nazi.

It;s actually you guys sounding like Nazi's frankly. Even attributing higher intelligence level to those who feel as they do, and lower intelligence (and worth) to those who don't. That's right out of the Nazi playbook. Another of them made a bizarre and mysterious comment about how their "community" won't tolerate us anymore, and that shortly we will not be able to find any "sanctuary". Sounds pretty Nazi-ish to me, without an alternate explanation of what those remarks meant.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread.....it was full of posts by people who love dogs, but acknowledged these 5 needed to be put down. It didn't become a feud until someone who apparently hates dogs came in and made an extreme and inflammatory post about how come we can't rid the country of dogs as we rid it of malaria. That's when it went downhill. Not one person defended these specific dogs and all decried the owner as responsible and not one person defended these specific dogs nor said they shouldn't be put down.

The post seemed design to divide and inflame, and I guess he got his wish.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-07-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or