Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times

Advertisements

This thread is ridiculous.

All dogs are bad because of this event?

The story breaks my heart and those dogs need to be put down, and the owner heavily charged.

But it doesn't mean all dogs need to "go away".

Old 09-07-2019, 02:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never said they were psychopathic. I simply said they don't have the gene that allows them to bond or feel love for animals.
Of course you did not! Your post was entirely reasonable and understandable. You don't have to love babies, and other people don't have to love dogs. However, not loving dogs is one thing. It is a HUGE and illogical leap from there for certain people to state that dog lovers are crazed sociopaths who think dogs are more important than people and will defend dogs when they attack and maul. Ridiculous!

Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM

538 posts, read 731,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Would it have been less sad if she had been ugly? I don't understand it when people say stuff like "what a tragedy, he was so handsome" like only unattractive people should die.
I thought the same thing. As if being pretty has anything to do with it. Very weird.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:07 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Domesticated dogs will always retain their wild animal instincts no matter how "nice" their owners think they are. Dogs are hunter/killer. Those wild animal instincts can be triggered as we have seen too many times.

And what's up with dog owners who have sex with their animals. Once in a while one of them get caught and makes the headlines. Weird people!

Old 09-07-2019, 03:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Domesticated dogs will always retain their wild animal instincts no matter how "nice" their owners think they are. Dogs are hunter/killer. Those wild animal instincts can be triggered as we have seen too many times.
I'll pay you a million dollars if you can get my pug to be mean.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:14 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
The big problem with the concept of fix-the-crummy-dog-owners is, well, it ain't never gunna happen. Also, IMHO (just my opinion, dangit), a quite large percentage of those doggo-worshipping,
furbaby-doggo-child owners are very entitled and selfish, when it comes to anything to do with their
Furbaby-doggo-child.

A screaming, snarling Beast right next door to you, you are awful to object to it, and the
Furbaby-owner is well within their rights to let their Furbaby-doggo-child express itself at any and all hours of the day.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:28 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
When I walk my two elderly neighbor's smallish dogs I always carry pepper spray in my hand. I've found that it takes too long to get it out of my fanny pack, and I've had some scary run ins that happen fast. I've had to use it three times when dogs ran at us, and didn't listen to my yelling NO at them, so they got it right in the face at the last minute. It stopped them dead in their tracks, thank God. These containers are twice the size of those little ones, and leave a stain that's visible in black light. The other times the dogs backed down when I screamed at them. I like dogs, but not when they are running at you in a raging fit to bite the dogs I'm walking. Homie don't play that. I'm responsible for these little guys, and have to protect them.

In case anyone is interested in the pepper spray I got I thought I should include a link to it. Actually I haven't had to use this kind yet. The pepper spray I did use was given to me by a friend in Sequim before I left to drive to NC after the "husband" walked out as she was worried about me. The writing on the outside is all worn off so I don't know the brand. But you can read the reviews for this new stuff on this link. Hope nobody has to ever use it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

---------------------------------------

Old 09-07-2019, 03:29 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

And what's up with dog owners who have sex with their animals. Once in a while one of them get caught and makes the headlines. Weird people!
Duh. Pretty sure those people got the dog just to have something to have sex with. Cause you can’t keep sheep in most US neighborhoods. Nothing to do with dog owners.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
You are going on a limb here equating a rational pragmatic attitude towards pet dogs with cruelty and progressing to my potentially “violent and homicidal behavior?
How did you even come to this conclusion? Isn’t it extreme on your part? Do you even know how many people are bitten by dogs every year?

You are just reinforcing my comments about the massive intolerance of so called dog lovers to even a shadow of criticism regarding the irresponsible dog owners behavior and perhaps a necessity to regulate a dog population ( by severely limiting breeding and a number of “pet dogs” the household could own, licensing, additional homeowners insurance, taxes, etc, etc)
5 dogs in one household formed a pack and killed an innocent girl!
In the city, not on a rural acreage?
You don’t see anything wrong with that? I understand, the owners are irresponsible, but 5 dogs in one household?
Look up a thread “a Virginia girl killed by her own 2 dogs”
My points:
We have indulgent, ignorant owners who treat animals- wolves relatives btw as cuddly teddy bears- toys
We have strong healthy animals with nothing to do, but to just lay on the sofa all day
An abundant of energy in dogs due to over an abundance of food available to them and not having “a job”, boredom, etc
What can go wrong?
And by drawing attention to the real problem I am being called a “dog hater”, “crank”, “violent and homicidal”?
Some of you guys are as vicious as dogs who killed the girl.
Not likely the French bulldog will be able to kill a person, but do we even study which breeds bite people the most?
It could be those small breeds?
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/
We have a few hundreds people infected by measles last year with a single digit deaths and we immediately have new laws and all the media talk about it every day.
Having 4.7 mill people bitten every year- half of them children- and no measures taken!
It is absurd in society’s attitudes...

There are people in this thread who compare dogs to a disease that should be exterminated. I think calling that the words of a 'crank' is pretty generous. Dogs have worked and lived with humans for thousands of years for a reason. They are tremendously useful providing assistance to the blind, to hunters, to policemen and security guards, to farmers and ranchers, to search and rescue teams.

You have so much pent up rage that everyone who disagrees with extreme anti-dog takes is some sort of caricature you have created in your head. In truth, I find people who think pitbulls or are other large dogs bred for defense purposes are cuddly animals to be pretty ridiculous. But this is an issue requiring a nuanced position and nuanced policy.

In America, you have the freedom to own things that are potentially dangerous. That's part of the American way of life..whether it's big-ass guns or a big-ass dog. If something happens, it's your responsibility. And yes irresponsible dog owners need to be held accountable just like someone using a deadly weapon irresponsibly.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:10 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’ve seen posts here on cd where the the poster literally said they care more for dogs than other human beings.
Someone on C-D said that dog owners tend to lack empathy. People say strange things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events