Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Rest in piece
Are you trying to be clever, or do you really not know the difference?

Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The two things are not synonymous (liking dogs more than humans, and not caring if dogs kill people). That's ridiculous. That would be like saying people who like other humans don't care if humans kill innocent dogs.

Many people like animals more than humans. There's a reason that dogs are referred to as man's best friend. It's a shame that you have never connected with a dog or other animal like that. Dogs (and other animals in different ways) are wonderful animals and provide their owners with years of unabashed love, loyalty, and joy. If a person doesn't love that, there's something wrong with them.

Many families consider the family dog as a member of the family. Some people have run back into burning buildings to save their pet. As have firemen.

Dogs are great. I love cats, too. Really most animals, I guess. Humans have had relationships with animals for eons. It's the natural way.
Which is down right sad & bizarre.

I've had many animals, have 2 dogs now. They are not above humans.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
I'm from Knoxville and have a friend who is a nurse at UT hospital.

Apparently the poor girl was brought in with limbs severed. They say it was one of the worst things they've seen in memory.

Horrible, horrible story.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Which is down right sad & bizarre.

I've had many animals, have 2 dogs now. They are not above humans.
How is it more bizarre? I'm one of those who loves animals just as much if not more than many humans. I look at people today and how they treat others. Many have less sympathy or empathy because all they think about are themselves. They rally for killers who may be illegal rather than condemn them for killing an innocent American. They label people because of who that person has voted for. We give even humans that kill - food, a roof over their head, free medical care, the opportunity to obtain a degree and an opportunity to get out to do it again instead of euthanizing them as we do animals who attack. I'll take my chances with the dogs.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:30 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Some very disturbing posts here.

I highly doubt there is a single person here whose sympathy lies more with these dogs than with the young woman who died. Sometimes humans kill humans, but in general I like humans. Sometimes dogs kill humans, but in general, I like dogs.

Some people have had life experiences which have caused them to love and trust their dog more than the humans in their life. While that is a sad commentary on people who have caused the hurt, there is nothing wrong with being extremely attached to one's pet.

To lump all dogs into one big pile and call them a nuisance or vicious is ignorant. It's no different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 AM

7,346 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'd say you don't EVER expect an electric fence to contain large, dangerous, sometimes violent dogs...esp a pack of them. That's negligence. The owners should be charged with a crime.

A dog has shown up in our neighborhood twice...it got out from miles away from an "electric fence." I think it relies on an electronic gizmo around the neck, which uses BATTERIES. Batteries get weak and die.

A dog nearby rushed toward me walking my two dogs...he ran at us from the driveway. Another neighbor told me they think their dog is contained in the front yard with their electric fence...but it doesn't go across the driveway.

If you have a dog that can do a lot of damage, or if of a breed that has been known to be violent or aggressive, that dog needs to be contained securely behind a physical fence kept in good shape, tall enough he can't jump or climb over it, deep enough that he can't dig under it....with warning signs on every side.

Mastiffs, Rottweilers, and pits are known to be aggressive and have killed people numerous times. I would bet that that's WHY the owners have those dogs. Because they're aggressive. The owners are 100% responsible, IMO,and should be charged with a crime.
Agreed.

Even temperet basset hounds will run through an electric fence too. Once instinct gets going, these fences are useless.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Some very disturbing posts here.

I highly doubt there is a single person here whose sympathy lies more with these dogs than with the young woman who died. Sometimes humans kill humans, but in general I like humans. Sometimes dogs kill humans, but in general, I like dogs.

Some people have had life experiences which have caused them to love and trust their dog more than the humans in their life. While that is a sad commentary on people who have caused the hurt, there is nothing wrong with being extremely attached to one's pet.

To lump all dogs into one big pile and call them a nuisance or vicious is ignorant. It's no different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype.
Dogs are a nuisance AT BEST. Denial of that is pure programming and, yes, ignorance of the fundamental nature of the beast. Except that most people are not ignorant of that nature. They just "love" them despite it or because of it. Either way, it is completely irrational.

It is totally different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype. Most people of any race don't behave obnoxiously like most dogs do.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:41 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Dogs are a nuisance AT BEST. Denial of that is pure programming and, yes, ignorance of the fundamental nature of the beast. Except that most people are not ignorant of that nature. They just "love" them despite it or because of it. Either way, it is completely irrational.

It is totally different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype. Most people of any race don't behave obnoxiously like most dogs do.

I could say the same thing about most kids lol

Old 09-06-2019, 07:54 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I could say the same thing about most kids lol
Yes, you could. And you'd be right. But most kids don't bite 4.7 million people per year and send 800,000 of them to urgent care.

This is a huge problem in our culture, folks, but most are programmed from birth to look the other way. The truth about dogs is not accepted socially. Lots of people hate me for saying this because they have been taught to, having never given it a moment of their own reflective thought.

How many more beautiful young women will be killed before we take necessary action? Based on my nearly 70 years experience, I shudder to think.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:13 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
'Obnoxious' dogs are usually the result of obnoxious owners, and I wholeheartedly agree those dogs are a nuisance, or worse. On the other hand well trained, well behaved dogs are rarely a nuisance and can indeed be beneficial to their owners. I would no more lump all dogs into one category than I would lump all people into one category. To do so is also a type of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events