U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 AM

23,145 posts, read 19,574,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Are you trying to be clever, or do you really not know the difference?
Nothing "clever" about that post unless, of course, the person does not know the difference.

How sad and terrible. Those owners should be put in jail and until that starts to happen, jerks like them are going to have the most dangerous of dog breeds as "pets". I'm sorry, I have loved my dogs with all my heart but I believe some breeds should be made extinct because then the jerks who make them what they are, wouldn't have the opportunity to ruin a dog who may have violent tendencies.

The dogs that are K9s, bomb dogs, drug dogs, etc. are taught to be that. It is their job! There is nothing wrong with that. It is the humans who own dogs that create either a pet or a killing machine.

Electric fencing does not work on bigger dogs. I watched the neighbor's black Lab go right through it the day he installed it. It really zapped the dog, made him fly up into the air and yelp but he still continued on his way after getting back on his paws.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Some very disturbing posts here.

I highly doubt there is a single person here whose sympathy lies more with these dogs than with the young woman who died. Sometimes humans kill humans, but in general I like humans. Sometimes dogs kill humans, but in general, I like dogs.

Some people have had life experiences which have caused them to love and trust their dog more than the humans in their life. While that is a sad commentary on people who have caused the hurt, there is nothing wrong with being extremely attached to one's pet.

To lump all dogs into one big pile and call them a nuisance or vicious is ignorant. It's no different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype.
I agree with you 100%! Some people are behaving as if dog lovers don't care about their fellow human beings which is not true of most people. We can love and empathize with people and love our dogs as well. What happened to that young girl is something that no one condones and most people are saddened and horrified by such a brutal death.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:39 AM

21,479 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you.

There aren't words to describe the degree of tragedy this is....and all the horrible stories like it that we've seen. As expected, though, the dog defenders are here right on cue with hearts bleeding for these obnoxious and deadly animals as they circle the wagons in their protection. The dogs killed a beautiful young woman, but their hearts are with the dogs. Their hearts are always with dogs. Utterly irrational and yet considered perfectly normal by most. At least most expressing a viewpoint.

But, on the bright side, I see lots more sanity in this thread than I'm accustomed to seeing on topics like this. Dogs and their sociopathic owners drag down quality of life in every neighborhood in which they are found. It sure is refreshing to see more here who understand that.

Justice in a world with a sane perspective on the menace that dogs are would have all of these dogs dead (hopefully they already are) and their owners behind bars for life.
I donít know what thread youíre reading, because here even the dog lovers are acknowledging that the dogs will need to be put down. Thatís a very different from saying the dogs need to suffer needlessly as some sort of weird revenge, or that there shouldnít be any dogs on the earth however which is ridiculous. I donít think youíre accurately depicting the threat at all, and I think thatís deliberate.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM

4,628 posts, read 4,530,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Dogs are a nuisance AT BEST. Denial of that is pure programming and, yes, ignorance of the fundamental nature of the beast. Except that most people are not ignorant of that nature. They just "love" them despite it or because of it. Either way, it is completely irrational.

It is totally different than viewing all people of one race with a negative stereotype. Most people of any race don't behave obnoxiously like most dogs do.
I haven't always been a dog lover, but I certainly never despised them as you do. Your hatred is irrational and disturbing.

My sweet Maltese dog, like my previous one before her, has been a fabulous companion and has brought me indescribable joy. The "fundamental nature" of my 4 pound furball "beast" is loyalty, sweetness, eagerness to please, and silly antics that keep me laughing. She has been my one constant through numerous moves around the country and world, has helped lift my clinical depression better than any medication ever did, and has been an effective outlet for my nurturing spirit after my children were grown and far away.

Obviously the dog in this news story was quite different than my Maltese. But there is no reason for labeling all dogs a nuisance, except ignorance and nastiness.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:00 PM

442 posts, read 159,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I agree with you 100%! Some people are behaving as if dog lovers don't care about their fellow human beings which is not true of most people. We can love and empathize with people and love our dogs as well. What happened to that young girl is something that no one condones and most people are saddened and horrified by such a brutal death.
Personally, I think some Americans have a strange and irrational love for dogs that the rest of us find a little odd and disturbing. Certain states don't even allow you to shoot a dog that has already proven to be a threat to humans and that is insane to me.

It's insane that kids and other people can't even walk down their own neighborhood streets without being harassed and terrorized by other people's animals. But I think as long as people continue to love dogs the way they do, nothing will ever really be done about it.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:21 PM

4,154 posts, read 3,360,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How come we can rid America of malaria, but not dogs?
Because a malaria virus doesn't run off at 25 mph when shot-at after the three next to him have gone down in a hail of gunfire? And the one that got away has puppies, couple litters/year, and ultimately little is solved because what needs to be done, won't be.

I see you're from the Philippines. A country that elected Duterte, who definitely "gets things done." That kind of pragmatism is interesting and intriguing to me, for one. Declaring total war on dirtbags has unintended consequences, too, they've found but never mind.

However, in America, you'd shoot about one (1) stray POS mutt and five fringe-r groups would be on you like molasses in summer. "Cruelty to animals" horse****, mostly. Same reason a couple days with helicopters and a Barrett 50 can't be used to thin horse herds in MULTIPLE states, despite that they cause all sorts of rangeland destruction via overpopulation: I can think of a half-dozen freak-out groups that would put a halt to that by Day 2, or even Day 1 via court injunction.

If it becomes enough of a problem, they'll lift any limits on shooting them dead like they have with wild hogs in Texas and elsewhere. Shoot your limit, and then some, "please". Dogs go feral, join packs, and hunt prey which sometimes includes humans apparently. Kill enough people, well, see previous sentences.

Until then, hand-wringing and "what to do, what do do?" when the solution is obvious. Welcome to America.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 09-06-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 12:21 PM

966 posts, read 337,942 times
When I was a small kid, I was confronted by an angry Rottweiler in the middle of a deserted countryside road, owned by some neighbor who was probably about as trashy as the people owning these dogs, nd just about escaped to tell the tale. After that I was terrified of dogs for years, but then maybe 6-7 years later we visited relatives of ours who had a dog, and that dog was super friendly and a great companion. That changed my mind on dogs. I think some people just never have that experience, and whatever fear they have of dogs just festers and can turn pathological. That's how cranks are made.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 PM

445 posts, read 607,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Personally, I think some Americans have a strange and irrational love for dogs that the rest of us find a little odd and disturbing. Certain states don't even allow you to shoot a dog that has already proven to be a threat to humans and that is insane to me.

It's insane that kids and other people can't even walk down their own neighborhood streets without being harassed and terrorized by other people's animals. But I think as long as people continue to love dogs the way they do, nothing will ever really be done about it.
Yep ^^^ this. I can't even walk around my own neighborhood. It's ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 PM

3,955 posts, read 2,060,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

Count me in. Without questioning why or the need, dogs are now welcome in our grocery and department stores. I saw one in the fabric shoppe the other day, sitting like a child on some blankets in the shopping cart. wth?!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM

10,891 posts, read 10,384,823 times
I love dogs and I have one, but COME ON, not one but FIVE DANGEROUS DOGS? A mastiff is a beast, man.

What possesses people to keep such unpredictable animals when they can't handle them and keep the public safe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or