Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Supposedly they were behind an electric fence. However what happens to an electric fence if the power goes out? So far they said they don’t know how the dogs escaped the yard. With his variety of dogs however all of which have a reputation for being extremely strong and capable of being vicious, he seems like he must either be paranoid or think it’s cool and macho to have guard dogs as pets.
I'd say you don't EVER expect an electric fence to contain large, dangerous, sometimes violent dogs...esp a pack of them. That's negligence. The owners should be charged with a crime.

A dog has shown up in our neighborhood twice...it got out from miles away from an "electric fence." I think it relies on an electronic gizmo around the neck, which uses BATTERIES. Batteries get weak and die.

A dog nearby rushed toward me walking my two dogs...he ran at us from the driveway. Another neighbor told me they think their dog is contained in the front yard with their electric fence...but it doesn't go across the driveway.

If you have a dog that can do a lot of damage, or if of a breed that has been known to be violent or aggressive, that dog needs to be contained securely behind a physical fence kept in good shape, tall enough he can't jump or climb over it, deep enough that he can't dig under it....with warning signs on every side.

Mastiffs, Rottweilers, and pits are known to be aggressive and have killed people numerous times. I would bet that that's WHY the owners have those dogs. Because they're aggressive. The owners are 100% responsible, IMO,and should be charged with a crime.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:35 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Terrible, RIP!

Dogs, IN GENERAL, are mainly just nuisances and they can be very dangerous. People may hate cats, but they are probably about .0001% as problematic to Humans as dogs are.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
From the OP's article:

Quote:
Deputies shot one of the dogs and the other four were brought to a local animal shelter.

And the other four weren't shot because WHY? Not enough deputies to tend to the young woman and shoot all the dogs, I guess. Otherwise no mercy should have been shown to the dogs.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How come we can rid America of malaria, but not dogs?
Have you been to the thousands of shelters in USA? We kill plenty of dogs here.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Terrible, RIP!

Dogs, IN GENERAL, are mainly just nuisances and they can be very dangerous. People may hate cats, but they are probably about .0001% as problematic to Humans as dogs are.
How do you figure that? People let their cats run loose all over other people's yards. A neighbor's cat at my former home decided to create a DIY letterbox under my deck. I had a fence, but it could get through. My dogs, on the other hand, stayed in my fence, in my yard and didn't bother anyone. I also had to stop hanging ferns on my porch because birds would build nests and cats would come kill the babies. I had to put moth balls and strips of aluminum foil on my porch furniture to keep the cats from jumping up and leaving muddy footprints all over it. When my house was for sale, we started finding dead mice in my driveway, surely dragged there by a cat. I had to chase one off when I saw it batting around a little chipmunk who was trying to get away. Cats aren't a nuisance? I BEG TO DIFFER!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
From the OP's article:

And the other four weren't shot because WHY? Not enough deputies to tend to the young woman and shoot all the dogs, I guess. Otherwise no mercy should have been shown to the dogs.
The other 4 dogs were all euthanized.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:57 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
From the OP's article:

I’m sure they will be put down but it’s really not on them, it’s on the owner. When dogs are in a pack they behave very differently than individually. And any of these dogs, when raised with love and properly trained and socialized , could have been fine family pets with no problem. But it’s hardly an animals fault when they are raised to be mean. They are ruined now and have to be put down most likely but they don’t need to suffer.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m sure they will be put down but it’s really not on them, it’s on the owner. When dogs are in a pack they behave very differently than individually. And any of these dogs, when raised with love and properly trained and socialized , could have been fine family pets with no problem. But it’s hardly an animals fault when they are raised to be mean. They are ruined now and have to be put down most likely but they don’t need to suffer.
This is totally on the owner. A pack mentality can be very dangerous. This owner amassed this group of large dogs and then did not take the proper precautions to contain them. Powerful dogs can be very difficult to control if they are not trained and socialized....and even then, care must always be taken to have the dogs under the owner's control. Unfortunately, too often the people who gravitate toward owning these types of dogs do so for the wrong reasons.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I count myself as a dog lover, but I have no tolerance for any dog who will used his teeth to make a point.
I also remain convinced that Pit Bulls should not be allowed to breed...
Quote:
......They were described as a mastiff, a Rottweiler-Lab mix, two mastiff-Lab mixes and a pit bull.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Rest in piece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events