Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNaim View Post
To each their own. Personally, I think people who french kiss their dogs are weird.
Agree, although I've never seen anyone french kiss their dog.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:51 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa....say what?

If you hate dogs that's your prerogative.

This is a horrible story, and I'd never own a pit bull.

However...

My pug has no goal in life, no purpose, other than to crawl up next to you and snuggle. He prefers under the covers. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Pugs literally do nothing but want to be as close to their master as possible. If I laid in bed for 24 hours straight he wouldn't move.

I think people who have no pets or don't like them are weird, but that's just me.
Some people appear to be simply missing a gene that makes them bond with animals, that most of us have. I don’t have a gene for bonding with babies. It doesn’t make me superior or more rational than people who have babies and have that gene that makes them love babies. It just means I don’t feel what they feel. Therefore I can’t understand what they feel. The difference is I don’t feel the need to judge it just because I don’t understand it.

The poster complaining about quality-of-life etc. however it’s just ridiculous. I’m pretty sure these posters complain about just about everything. If you look at their posting history I am going to guess it’s a whole lot of complaints about a whole lot of things.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa....say what?

If you hate dogs that's your prerogative.

This is a horrible story, and I'd never own a pit bull.

However...

My pug has no goal in life, no purpose, other than to crawl up next to you and snuggle. He prefers under the covers. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Pugs literally do nothing but want to be as close to their master as possible. If I laid in bed for 24 hours straight he wouldn't move.

I think people who have no pets or don't like them are weird, but that's just me.
Some people have allergies. Others know they can’t fully take care of a pet and give it the love it deserves. I don’t find it weird, I call it responsible and kind to pets to consider their needs.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
This sounds like this was an electronic fence of some sort, not a true electric fence.

"The dog owners told deputies the animals were contained to the yard by an electric fence. A deputy noted the wire was not buried.

One of the owners told deputies "the dogs were doing their jobs," according to the report.

The owners described the dogs as a mastiff, a Rottweiler-lab mix, two mastiff-lab mixes and a pitbull. One of the mastiff-lab mixes was shot and killed by deputies; the other four dogs were taken to Young-Williams Animal Center.
The owners told other media outlets all four dogs were euthanized after the attack."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ty/2178426001/

Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Some people have allergies. Others know they can’t fully take care of a pet and give it the love it deserves. I don’t find it weird, I call it responsible and kind to pets to consider their needs.
Obviously, I didn't mean those people.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The poster she/he was responding to was not at all caring about pets, he thinks the world would be better off without them and that your desire for a pet infringes on his quality of life.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This sounds like this was an electronic fence of some sort, not a true electric fence.

"The dog owners told deputies the animals were contained to the yard by an electric fence. A deputy noted the wire was not buried.

One of the owners told deputies "the dogs were doing their jobs," according to the report.

The owners described the dogs as a mastiff, a Rottweiler-lab mix, two mastiff-lab mixes and a pitbull. One of the mastiff-lab mixes was shot and killed by deputies; the other four dogs were taken to Young-Williams Animal Center.
The owners told other media outlets all four dogs were euthanized after the attack."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ty/2178426001/
I can't (won't) get past the paywall, can someone please tell me what 'job' these dogs were supposedly doing? Are the owners saying the girl was trespassing on their property or something?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Agree, although I've never seen anyone french kiss their dog.
Perhaps that brand new poster has some strange friends?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I can't (won't) get past the paywall, can someone please tell me what 'job' these dogs were supposedly doing? Are the owners saying the girl was trespassing on their property or something?
The teen who died had returned to the house she had left her purse at the night before which is next door to where the dogs lived. The article didn’t say whether the girl was on the dog owners’ property but it didn’t seem that way.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'd say you don't EVER expect an electric fence to contain large, dangerous, sometimes violent dogs...esp a pack of them. That's negligence. The owners should be charged with a crime.

A dog has shown up in our neighborhood twice...it got out from miles away from an "electric fence." I think it relies on an electronic gizmo around the neck, which uses BATTERIES. Batteries get weak and die.

A dog nearby rushed toward me walking my two dogs...he ran at us from the driveway. Another neighbor told me they think their dog is contained in the front yard with their electric fence...but it doesn't go across the driveway.

If you have a dog that can do a lot of damage, or if of a breed that has been known to be violent or aggressive, that dog needs to be contained securely behind a physical fence kept in good shape, tall enough he can't jump or climb over it, deep enough that he can't dig under it....with warning signs on every side.

Mastiffs, Rottweilers, and pits are known to be aggressive and have killed people numerous times. I would bet that that's WHY the owners have those dogs. Because they're aggressive. The owners are 100% responsible, IMO,and should be charged with a crime.
When I walk my two elderly neighbor's smallish dogs I always carry pepper spray in my hand. I've found that it takes too long to get it out of my fanny pack, and I've had some scary run ins that happen fast. I've had to use it three times when dogs ran at us, and didn't listen to my yelling NO at them, so they got it right in the face at the last minute. It stopped them dead in their tracks, thank God. These containers are twice the size of those little ones, and leave a stain that's visible in black light. The other times the dogs backed down when I screamed at them. I like dogs, but not when they are running at you in a raging fit to bite the dogs I'm walking. Homie don't play that. I'm responsible for these little guys, and have to protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events