Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertai...eme-sentencing

While I am appalled at the chicanery employed to obtain students’ admission to universities whether they qualify or not, I have to say I admire Huffman’s decision to admit guilt and face punishment. I doubt this was easy to do.

Of course, this is a crime involving money, and she has the money to pay her substantial fine. And she will do only two weeks in jail. She will be on probation, and I suppose that will limit her freedom for longer.

She apologized to her family for her crime.

I don’t know how fair her sentence is. Someone who can afford to pay to have her daughter’s test proctored, and results enhanced, can certainly pay the fine. So her sentence is not comparable to a sentence meted out to someone who is poor. This crime is by definition, a crime committed by a wealthy person. I am glad she is being punished. I hope others who have done similar things are tried and sentenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 03:28 PM

609 posts, read 264,995 times
She is a joke.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:37 PM

17,582 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Of course, this is a crime involving money, and she has the money to pay her substantial fine. And she will do only two weeks in jail. She will be on probation, and I suppose that will limit her freedom for longer.

I don’t know how fair her sentence is. Someone who can afford to pay to have her daughter’s test proctored, and results enhanced, can certainly pay the fine. So her sentence is not comparable to a sentence meted out to someone who is poor. This crime is by definition, a crime committed by a wealthy person. I am glad she is being punished. I hope others who have done similar things are tried and sentenced.

honestly, I don't agree, really, with her getting any jail time. Gonna cost money that could be better spent elsewhere. In the realm of serious crimes.. This one doesn't really call for prison time.

As for her being on probation, or "Supervised Release" as it's known in the Federal system.. She'll have to report in once a month.. That's about it. have to get permission to leave the country. Her PO likely won't even come by her house. He's going to have plenty of other people on his books that need far more monitoring. He'll drug test her once at the start and if he feels snarky may make her take another one.

Someone who is poor.. IN THEORY.. Would have gotten the exact same sentence, without the fine. Because they would have an inability to pay the fine. Fines and prison time are not interchangeable. You can't raise the fine and lower the prison time.. At least, that's not how it's supposed to work and most federal judges.. Are really pretty fair people.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:39 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:

While I am appalled at the chicanery employed to obtain students’ admission to universities whether they qualify or not, I have to say I admire Huffman’s decision to admit guilt and face punishment. I doubt this was easy to do.

Yeah. I go along with that.
She Cowboyed Up. Can't say that for a whole lot of people these days.....

Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Will it affect her career?

Quote:

She works in lala land.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. I go along with that.
She Cowboyed Up. Can't say that for a whole lot of people these days.....
2 weeks in jail.............bring a few scripts, she will be busy next year acting!

Martha Stewart went to jail for 5 months!

Old 09-13-2019, 04:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 weeks in jail.............bring a few scripts, she will be busy next year acting!
Martha Stewart went to jail for 5 months!
She looked damn good when she came out, tho!
It's better to look good than to feel good!

2 weeks? Ever been in jail? 3 days is sobering! She certainly has been thru the ringer, is no thread to society ...
good luck keeping her marriage and fam together.
She blew it and got caught...her heart was stupid, but in the right place.

Boy, are cynics gonna hate ME!

Old 09-13-2019, 04:38 PM

158 posts, read 106,389 times
What I don't get is why this whole thing is somehow unique? Since ancient times, people with power, influence and money have ALWAYS used it to do the same things she has done, and even today it's an extremely common thing for the same kind of people to do, so why is she being singled out for something that happens all the time?

Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
It will be interesting to see what happens to Lori Loughlin. She paid over $500,000 in bribes, faces more charges than Huffman including money laundering, and pled not guilty. Theoretically, she and her husband each face up to 40 years in jail.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
What I don't get is why this whole thing is somehow unique? Since ancient times, people with power, influence and money have ALWAYS used it to do the same things she has done, and even today it's an extremely common thing for the same kind of people to do, so why is she being singled out for something that happens all the time?
Because it is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events