U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 2,505,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As horrifying as it sounds, infanticide is usually the product of natural hormonal responses in an unfit mother or in an unfit environmental circumstance for raising the child. It is a pattern seen throughout the Animal kingdom right up to humanity where countless examples are found in the archaelogical record right up to historical records and in fiction as a tragic part of the human condition.

Sometimes when a mother is very young or in desperate circumstances like poverty or extreme food insecurity, the stress of late term pregnancy and childbirth cause a post-natal hormonally triggered dissociative state in which the mother will kill an infant shortly after birth essentially, in a primal way, for her own survival and/or the survival of her family group. Of course in modern society we realize there are alternatives like adoption, but that just lends to the powerful effect of brain chemistry in post-natal mothers. The real tragedy here is that such a reaction by the mother could have been averted if she had support of family, or anyone during and immediately after the birth.

Here is an interesting article that deals with the phenomenon.

This should be treated as a result of a mentally compromised individual, not a criminal matter.
Very interesting post! I agree with you that the girl is a mentally compromised individual. In the past she had suffered from eating disorders and also her mother is a bit strange. In stories I have read the girl seemed excited and happy to tell her mother she lost 20 pounds and even said she told a roomful of people and they clapped for her victory. Her mother seemed elated also to hear the girl lost 20 pounds, something strange was going in that family where she could keep a pregnancy a secret all the way to giving birth and in the weeks before she was wearing a two piece bikini and prom gown. What sane woman would do a selfie of herself in a bikini only a few hours after delivering a "dead" baby?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's another article, this time by People, that tends to be clearer than the DailyMail but still leaves a LOT of questions unanswered.

How far along was she, when the baby was born?

Why did the doctor call police to alert them that she may have miscarried a baby? Where is doctor patient privilege here? Unless there is someone in danger, I thought Doctor Patient privilege would keep him from reporting this? Or is it only lawyer client privilege that goes that far in protecting confidence?

By the way, her mother seems totally nuts and completely centered on her own self and her image.

https://people.com/crime/brooke-skyl...l-me-pregnant/
I think after she supposedly had the miscarriage she went to her doctor to tell him the baby was buried in the backyard and also she wanted birth control pills. I know that teenagers are more sexually active than past generations but you wonder what is going with this girl that even after she lost a baby, she is anticipating sexual activity soon and needs those birth control pills. I think medically she has to even wait at least month or two before becoming sexually active again.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 954,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
it is currently on court tv . Okay here are my thoughts and feel free to give your opinion as well . I want to know how can the courts charge her with murder when there is a medical examiner saying that the baby was still born . I would think the most they could charge her with would be obstruction of justice and trying to hide the babies body . some of those text messages have me questioning what kind of mother she has that leaves such messages on her daughter's cell phone .This whole case is just weird to me . anyone else have that feeling ? that there is just something totally off about this girls family ?
Her mother has harped on her weight since she was a little girl so she now has an eating disorder. The girl is now obsessed with her weight. Just about every text has to do with her weight. They're trying to make it as though the girl is cold or something, but it is a reflection of a toxic situation.

There is no evidence that a murder occurred. When this hit the news couple years ago I thought the girl was guilty. After seeing the videos on Court TV I changed my mind. The girl was asked the same things over and over until she said what they wanted her to say in order to make it stop after enduring it for many hours.

This case shows why you need to keep quiet and get a lawyer.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think after she supposedly had the miscarriage she went to her doctor to tell him the baby was buried in the backyard and also she wanted birth control pills. I know that teenagers are more sexually active than past generations but you wonder what is going with this girl that even after she lost a baby, she is anticipating sexual activity soon and needs those birth control pills. I think medically she has to even wait at least month or two before becoming sexually active again.
No, she went for birth control pills the day she found out she was pregnant. They took her off the pills because she was pregnant. She was arrested after telling the doctor she had a stillbirth and buried the baby. She told her mother she was taking the pills to cover up being pregnant. Based on her mother's reaction upon seeing an email that said her daughter was pregnant, I can understand the girl's behavior. Having an unplanned pregnancy does not have to destroy your life. Had the mother been someone the girl could confide in the girl could've got prenatal care. The girl would've not been so weight obsessed and maybe been healthier for being pregnant. The baby might have even lived.

It's stuff like this that caused me to have the talk with my daughter when she was young and in middle school. I wanted her to know if she found herself in such a situation that she needed to come to me with it and not be scared to confide in me. Children should be able to know they have someone to go to if they are having a crisis.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is the medical examiner the one for that county, called by the prosecution, or is this a medical examiner hired by the defense?
The medical examiner for the prosecution couldn't even say how the baby died. The one for the defense is claiming stillborn. No medical examiner has been able to show a murder.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

1,315 posts, read 467,454 times
nm

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
No, she went for birth control pills the day she found out she was pregnant. They took her off the pills because she was pregnant. She was arrested after telling the doctor she had a stillbirth and buried the baby. She told her mother she was taking the pills to cover up being pregnant. Based on her mother's reaction upon seeing an email that said her daughter was pregnant, I can understand the girl's behavior. Having an unplanned pregnancy does not have to destroy your life. Had the mother been someone the girl could confide in the girl could've got prenatal care. The girl would've not been so weight obsessed and maybe been healthier for being pregnant. The baby might have even lived.

It's stuff like this that caused me to have the talk with my daughter when she was young and in middle school. I wanted her to know if she found herself in such a situation that she needed to come to me with it and not be scared to confide in me. Children should be able to know they have someone to go to if they are having a crisis.
I understand the timeline better now - it is very confusing this case. I agree with you about the mother, she seems to have a lot of problems personally and it is sad that the relationship she had with her daughter was one in that the girl felt she had no one to turn to in her confusion. She did have erratic menstrual cycles and understandably when she didn't get one for a while she thought it had something to do with her eating disorder. I don't think she should go to prison for life, she has obvious mental issues at play, even for a girl that is mentally healthy, a situation like a unwanted pregnancy would confuse and scare any young girl, not to mention an emotionally fragile and mentally ill girl. It is sad that the one person she should have been able to turn to, she couldn't depend on or felt she couldn't confide in. They said that the girl was a Daddy's Girl, but maybe she couldn't turn to her father because he had her on a pedestal and she would never want him to be disappointed in her.

Old Today, 10:39 AM

13,940 posts, read 19,050,195 times
Quote:
Her mother has harped on her weight since she was a little girl so she now has an eating disorder. The girl is now obsessed with her weight. Just about every text has to do with her weight. They're trying to make it as though the girl is cold or something, but it is a reflection of a toxic situation.

There is no evidence that a murder occurred. When this hit the news couple years ago I thought the girl was guilty. After seeing the videos on Court TV I changed my mind. The girl was asked the same things over and over until she said what they wanted her to say in order to make it stop after enduring it for many hours.

This case shows why you need to keep quiet and get a lawyer.

yes this shows that these people have never had a run in with law enforcement . Never ever talk to the cops without a lawyer . Her father was kind of dumb too in that regard .

Old Today, 10:43 AM

13,940 posts, read 19,050,195 times
Quote:
The medical examiner for the prosecution couldn't even say how the baby died. The one for the defense is claiming stillborn. No medical examiner has been able to show a murder.

There you go how can they make a go of a murder charge if I was on the jury they would play hell getting me to say she commited murder . uh no she was a scared young woman who was probably scared out of her skull and I would definitely not be sending her to jail for murder or anything else . She needs therapy not jail . She is not a casey Anthony .

Old Today, 10:44 AM

79,520 posts, read 71,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Each state sets if and where doctor-patient confidentiality is applicable, and Ohio requires mandatory reporting in cases of suspected child abuse, which is apparently what applied here.

In addition, the state COA already found that doctor-patient confidentiality does not apply in this case.

Doctor-patient confidentiality is not absolute, and isn't even recognized on a federal level.
But the doctor's the one who prescribed birth control pills for a patient he'd just diagnosed as pregnant. And she took them. What we need to know is, what were the instructions the doctor provided with the prescription. Why wouldn't he have waited until after the baby was born to give her bc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or