U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 957,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The whole notion that a witness is going to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" is a bygone artifact of our court system.

I'm a true crime follower, and am shocked at what the jury doesn't know that citizens who read the media know. Not fair.
Yes, it is shocking and alarming.

Quote:
Interesting comment by the prosecution team in this article. They said she had committed the "perfect crime" because the remains were discovered when there was nothing left but bones.

Intimating, quite clearly, that the reason it was the "perfect crime" was that now no cause of death could be determined nor could it be determined if the baby was born alive.

Pretty damning for the prosecution to admit that with the forensics they had, those things can't be determined.

Enough for a jury to say "not guilty" right there.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...es/2284320001/
Yes, definitely. And she did not bury the baby for those reasons anyway. She's had dogs and they were buried when they died. She likely was just giving her baby a proper burial. I don't think she committed a crime. She did some stupid things, but that wasn't illegal. Even if she had told her parents, I don't think it would've gone well. The girl didn't have anyone to comfort her. When she went to the doctor later and was asked about what happened to her baby she broke down crying. She likely was having a hard time keeping the ordeal bottled up inside.

I hope she's found not guilty of everything. I think she's suffered enough, and the abuse of corpse was based on the fallacy that she supposedly burned the baby. She didn't do that. She gave her daughter a burial and left flowers on the grave. There's no sign she had the intent to do anything wrong to the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

13,954 posts, read 19,059,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, it is shocking and alarming.

Yes, definitely. And she did not bury the baby for those reasons anyway. She's had dogs and they were buried when they died. She likely was just giving her baby a proper burial. I don't think she committed a crime. She did some stupid things, but that wasn't illegal. Even if she had told her parents, I don't think it would've gone well. The girl didn't have anyone to comfort her. When she went to the doctor later and was asked about what happened to her baby she broke down crying. She likely was having a hard time keeping the ordeal bottled up inside.

I hope she's found not guilty of everything. I think she's suffered enough, and the abuse of corpse was based on the fallacy that she supposedly burned the baby. She didn't do that. She gave her daughter a burial and left flowers on the grave. There's no sign she had the intent to do anything wrong to the baby.

I pray and wish the same thing : Not Guilty .

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I pray and wish the same thing : Not Guilty .
Jury is back already with a verdict. Court TV went to commercial break and people hadn't all got back to the court yet.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

She was found guilty of abuse of a corpse. She's now a felon, but hopefully she doesn't do much prison time. I don't know if she can successfully appeal the conviction or not.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

13,954 posts, read 19,059,871 times
Quote:
She was found guilty of abuse of a corpse. She's now a felon, but hopefully she doesn't do much prison time. I don't know if she can successfully appeal the conviction or not.

I don't think this is right either making her a felon . what kind of employment can she get being a felon ? come on she is 19 she will be punished for the rest of her life for something she did as a kid . That is just not right . Im sorry none of this sits well with me .

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

10,968 posts, read 4,457,510 times
Defense says her case can be sealed after 3 years.

Maybe because she was a juvenile at the time.

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I don't think this is right either making her a felon . what kind of employment can she get being a felon ? come on she is 19 she will be punished for the rest of her life for something she did as a kid . That is just not right . Im sorry none of this sits well with me .
She's 20 now.

I don't agree with it, either. I don't think she abused the corpse. She gave her daughter a burial. There was no abuse involved.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Defense says her case can be sealed after 3 years.

Maybe because she was a juvenile at the time.
With the media coverage she will still be affected her entire life. Society will always think she's guilty and got away with it. Even though it has been shown that the baby was not set on fire, many still believe she set the baby on fire because of the government and the media coverage.

I have a master's degree in criminal justice. In some of my classes we studied false confessions. The video of her interrogation was more blatant than the examples we were given.

At least she will be free after a year and have some sort of future outside of prison. She was facing spending the rest of her life in prison.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

12,767 posts, read 10,708,423 times
Quote:
She denied setting her baby on fire. The detectives kept insisting she did and she eventually told them what they wanted to hear. The interrogation lasted for hours with their badgering her until she said what they wanted her to say. There's a video. I thought she was guilty until I saw that video. The confession was coerced. What she said during the coerced confession isn't even backed up by actual forensic evidence. There's no proof the baby was born alive. There is no proof of a fire. Stillbirth is definitely possible considering she was in the third trimester but no one could tell she was pregnant because of her eating disorder. I do not believe she is guilty of anything other than burying the body in the back yard. That reaction is actually natural. She didn't want anyone to know she'd been pregnant. She had a dead baby. The natural response to someone being deceased is to bury the body. There is no evidence that she killed the baby. There is no evidence that she didn't, but it's supposed to be up to the prosecution to prove that she did. She isn't supposed to have to prove she didn't do something.
Great post. There was no proof the baby was born alive, the ME couldn’t determine cause of death. Evidence of the body being burned was incorrect and that expert retracted that statement.

There was no evidence here either way, it was right for the jury to acquit her on the serious charges. I can’t believe they even charged her and took this to trial, they must have really had some agenda or were trying to make an example of her or something.

Maybe she really did kill the baby after birth, but we’ll never know, and there isn’t enough info imo to really be able to say too strongly either way. My gut says her anorexia and lack of prenatal care led to a stillbirth but my opinion doesn’t really matter.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,047,580 times
Quote:
She's 20 now.

I don't agree with it, either. I don't think she abused the corpse. She gave her daughter a burial. There was no abuse involved.
Then I advise reading the legal definition. .this verdict was lenient . ..and showed far more mercy then necessary. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or