U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:09 PM

176 posts, read 62,560 times

Advertisements

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hown-jury.html

Quote:
An Ohio cheerleader on trial for murdering her baby after giving birth then burying her in the backyard broke down in tears when she was confronted by police in her first interview.

Video evidence presented to a jury Thursday showed Brooke Skylar Richardson insisting that she did not kill the infant, asking repeatedly if she was going to jail and continuing to claim that the baby was stillborn.

Richardson, now 20, is accused of killing her baby, a girl she called Annabelle, on May 7, 2017, when she was 17 and burying her in the middle of the night.
How sad, she certainly deserves a worst cheerleader of the year award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 PM

10,948 posts, read 4,446,616 times
I can't tell what in the world happened here in this story.

She went to the doctor, who told her she was pregnant and then prescribed birth control pills to her at that time?

And so she took the pills, for some unknown reason, and now it's thought that the birth control pills killed the baby, or caused her miscarriage?

On the other hand, there was damage to the baby's skull and somehow, she said she lit the baby on fire because the coroner mistakenly said the remains were charred?

Honestly I can't follow a single thing in this story.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Here's another article, this time by People, that tends to be clearer than the DailyMail but still leaves a LOT of questions unanswered.

How far along was she, when the baby was born?

Why did the doctor call police to alert them that she may have miscarried a baby? Where is doctor patient privilege here? Unless there is someone in danger, I thought Doctor Patient privilege would keep him from reporting this? Or is it only lawyer client privilege that goes that far in protecting confidence?

By the way, her mother seems totally nuts and completely centered on her own self and her image.

https://people.com/crime/brooke-skyl...l-me-pregnant/

Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 PM

36,679 posts, read 10,865,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's another article, this time by People, that tends to be clearer than the DailyMail but still leaves a LOT of questions unanswered.

How far along was she, when the baby was born?

Why did the doctor call police to alert them that she may have miscarried a baby? Where is doctor patient privilege here? Unless there is someone in danger, I thought Doctor Patient privilege would keep him from reporting this? Or is it only lawyer client privilege that goes that far in protecting confidence?

By the way, her mother seems totally nuts and completely centered on her own self and her image.

https://people.com/crime/brooke-skyl...l-me-pregnant/

Each state sets if and where doctor-patient confidentiality is applicable, and Ohio requires mandatory reporting in cases of suspected child abuse, which is apparently what applied here.

In addition, the state COA already found that doctor-patient confidentiality does not apply in this case.

Doctor-patient confidentiality is not absolute, and isn't even recognized on a federal level.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:58 PM

15,673 posts, read 18,007,163 times
As horrifying as it sounds, infanticide is usually the product of natural hormonal responses in an unfit mother or in an unfit environmental circumstance for raising the child. It is a pattern seen throughout the Animal kingdom right up to humanity where countless examples are found in the archaelogical record right up to historical records and in fiction as a tragic part of the human condition.

Sometimes when a mother is very young or in desperate circumstances like poverty or extreme food insecurity, the stress of late term pregnancy and childbirth cause a post-natal hormonally triggered dissociative state in which the mother will kill an infant shortly after birth essentially, in a primal way, for her own survival and/or the survival of her family group. Of course in modern society we realize there are alternatives like adoption, but that just lends to the powerful effect of brain chemistry in post-natal mothers. The real tragedy here is that such a reaction by the mother could have been averted if she had support of family, or anyone during and immediately after the birth.

Here is an interesting article that deals with the phenomenon.

This should be treated as a result of a mentally compromised individual, not a criminal matter.

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

1,945 posts, read 954,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't tell what in the world happened here in this story.

She went to the doctor, who told her she was pregnant and then prescribed birth control pills to her at that time?

And so she took the pills, for some unknown reason, and now it's thought that the birth control pills killed the baby, or caused her miscarriage?

On the other hand, there was damage to the baby's skull and somehow, she said she lit the baby on fire because the coroner mistakenly said the remains were charred?

Honestly I can't follow a single thing in this story.
She denied setting her baby on fire. The detectives kept insisting she did and she eventually told them what they wanted to hear. The interrogation lasted for hours with their badgering her until she said what they wanted her to say. There's a video. I thought she was guilty until I saw that video. The confession was coerced. What she said during the coerced confession isn't even backed up by actual forensic evidence. There's no proof the baby was born alive. There is no proof of a fire. Stillbirth is definitely possible considering she was in the third trimester but no one could tell she was pregnant because of her eating disorder. I do not believe she is guilty of anything other than burying the body in the back yard. That reaction is actually natural. She didn't want anyone to know she'd been pregnant. She had a dead baby. The natural response to someone being deceased is to bury the body. There is no evidence that she killed the baby. There is no evidence that she didn't, but it's supposed to be up to the prosecution to prove that she did. She isn't supposed to have to prove she didn't do something.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

13,940 posts, read 19,050,195 times
it is currently on court tv . Okay here are my thoughts and feel free to give your opinion as well . I want to know how can the courts charge her with murder when there is a medical examiner saying that the baby was still born . I would think the most they could charge her with would be obstruction of justice and trying to hide the babies body . some of those text messages have me questioning what kind of mother she has that leaves such messages on her daughter's cell phone .This whole case is just weird to me . anyone else have that feeling ? that there is just something totally off about this girls family ?

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

13,940 posts, read 19,050,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
She denied setting her baby on fire. The detectives kept insisting she did and she eventually told them what they wanted to hear. The interrogation lasted for hours with their badgering her until she said what they wanted her to say. There's a video. I thought she was guilty until I saw that video. The confession was coerced. What she said during the coerced confession isn't even backed up by actual forensic evidence. There's no proof the baby was born alive. There is no proof of a fire. Stillbirth is definitely possible considering she was in the third trimester but no one could tell she was pregnant because of her eating disorder. I do not believe she is guilty of anything other than burying the body in the back yard. That reaction is actually natural. She didn't want anyone to know she'd been pregnant. She had a dead baby. The natural response to someone being deceased is to bury the body. There is no evidence that she killed the baby. There is no evidence that she didn't, but it's supposed to be up to the prosecution to prove that she did. She isn't supposed to have to prove she didn't do something.

Bingo !!! Ding ., ding , ding . You hit on some of the same things I was asking and wondering and those cops who interrogated her were con artists themselves . She should have shut up and let a lawyer do her talking for her after all that is what you hire them for .

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
it is currently on court tv . Okay here are my thoughts and feel free to give your opinion as well . I want to know how can the courts charge her with murder when there is a medical examiner saying that the baby was still born . I would think the most they could charge her with would be obstruction of justice and trying to hide the babies body . some of those text messages have me questioning what kind of mother she has that leaves such messages on her daughter's cell phone .This whole case is just weird to me . anyone else have that feeling ? that there is just something totally off about this girls family ?
Is the medical examiner the one for that county, called by the prosecution, or is this a medical examiner hired by the defense?

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

468 posts, read 256,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As horrifying as it sounds, infanticide is usually the product of natural hormonal responses in an unfit mother or in an unfit environmental circumstance for raising the child. It is a pattern seen throughout the Animal kingdom right up to humanity where countless examples are found in the archaelogical record right up to historical records and in fiction as a tragic part of the human condition.

Sometimes when a mother is very young or in desperate circumstances like poverty or extreme food insecurity, the stress of late term pregnancy and childbirth cause a post-natal hormonally triggered dissociative state in which the mother will kill an infant shortly after birth essentially, in a primal way, for her own survival and/or the survival of her family group. Of course in modern society we realize there are alternatives like adoption, but that just lends to the powerful effect of brain chemistry in post-natal mothers. The real tragedy here is that such a reaction by the mother could have been averted if she had support of family, or anyone during and immediately after the birth.

Here is an interesting article that deals with the phenomenon.

This should be treated as a result of a mentally compromised individual, not a criminal matter.
Excellent post, I wish more people think the way you do.

Not to say that infanticide is right, but to say that we are well past our animal instincts is a major stretch. And what goes unappreciated is our instincts’ ability to keep our rational minds in check from committing evolutionarily suicidal decisions, ironically.

Hard to say these things, but with the history and quite frankly the morbid utility of choosing to reinvest in another offspring at a better time, it’s obvious and important to realize in the greater context of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or