Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Rats will be allowed emotional service animals.
I can tell you, rats are as smart as dogs and make excellent pets. Smart, sweet, social, can exist in a large cage with a couple other rats and you can leave for the weekend, and leave for work, without any worries about them.

I had rats I would take out with me to do gardening, and they'd follow me around the yard and come when called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This will only last until the rats have seen what happens to their friends. I don't see one whit of difference between this and traditional rat traps, except this looks different. The rats will have this figured out by the end of the business week.
Not really, see my post above.

Bucket/water (or other fluid) rodent traps go back hundreds of years. If done/set up properly they are far more effective than say snap traps, and certainly better than those glue things.

Norway rats have very poor eyesight (as befitting creatures that live mostly underground), so they don't "see" anything happening. They will however follow scent trails laid down by other rats (hence well traveled and marked rat trails), so it really comes down to a "follow the leader" sort of situation.

Live in NYC, and on any given morning you'll find rat "road kill" in middle of road. Yet rats still continue to zoom back and forth across the street nightly. So obviously haven't figured out doing so can be dangerous or even deadly and best avoided.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not really, see my post above.

Bucket/water (or other fluid) rodent traps go back hundreds of years. If done/set up properly they are far more effective than say snap traps, and certainly better than those glue things.

Norway rats have very poor eyesight (as befitting creatures that live mostly underground), so they don't "see" anything happening. They will however follow scent trails laid down by other rats (hence well traveled and marked rat trails), so it really comes down to a "follow the leader" sort of situation.

Live in NYC, and on any given morning you'll find rat "road kill" in middle of road. Yet rats still continue to zoom back and forth across the street nightly. So obviously haven't figured out doing so can be dangerous or even deadly and best avoided.
Well, yes. Some individuals in any population don't learn.

Just as you see humans trying to cross highways in cities in the wee hours, and they get hit. By and large, humans have learned how to avoid being hit by cars. But not ALL humans.

Just as some rats are just as clueless.

BTW, I watched a street dog in San Antonio navigate the pedestrian crossings, watching for a pedestrian "go" sign before starting out in an intersection crosswalk. We give animals so little credit.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
The way to get rid of rats is to get rid of their food supply. No matter how many you catch and kill, the ones left reproduce so rapidly that it will have no effect. On the other hand, if we were to BAN FOOD IN THE SUBWAY, that would be the end of rats in the subway, and the subways would be a whole lot cleaner, too.

More frequent garbage pickups. Rat-proof garbage containers. Heavy fines for those who do not seal their garbage in the rat-proof containers. Inspections and fines for those who leave out garbage for rats to feed on. THAT will greatly decrease the rat population. No food, means no reproduction, means far fewer rats.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:11 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Rats on the table, rats on the floor
Cat's on vacation, bound to see more
Get me some whiskey, fill up a pail
See the drunken rats I'll have for sale

Old 09-07-2019, 09:38 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
BTW, I watched a street dog in San Antonio navigate the pedestrian crossings, watching for a pedestrian "go" sign before starting out in an intersection crosswalk. We give animals so little credit.
I've seen the same thing here with what I call our 'urban deer' & nobody believes me. When the Waldo Canyon Fire burned through national forest & into city limits in 2012, it forced herds of deer, bighorn sheep, packs of coyotes (& bears) into town.

In 2017, while driving through the westside at around 0700, I observed 3 does with 3 fawns waiting patiently on the sidewalk at an intersection. When the crosswalk light changed, the does nudged the fawns off the sidewalk & they all crossed the street together safely & continued to walk down the sidewalk.

It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen but I suppose that after their home had been left blackened & bare, with no green foliage or cover from predators; they had learned to adapt to city life.

Oddly, when we were in NYC in March, on the subways & in Chinatown after dark the night before trash pickup; we never saw not one rat.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I have heard of an apocryphal? method to deal with rats. Basically, catch a whole bunch of them alive. Lock them in an enclosure with no food. After awhile, you will have one large, mean, aggressive rat with a taste for rats. Set him free.

Of course, this probably wouldn't work in a place the size of NYC. Interesting concept though.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Or how long before someone attempts to drink it!
Most likely, the alcohol is a methanol- toxic to people. They need warnings printed- so alcoholics are not tempted

Old 09-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Guess rats have outsmarted the traditional traps.

How about the subway stations, they need to install them there.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/us/ne...ntl/index.html
City doesn't bother using "traditional traps", first and main response involves poison bait. Problem is that causes all sorts of problems besides not being truly effective for total eradication of rat population.

If you have say a building or grounds you can seal off from new rats entering, poisoned baits *might* give 100% eradication over time. But most good professional exterminators go with a mixture of traps, baits, piled onto cleaning and sealing up an area/building.

New York City's rat problems began exploding when city banned buildings from burning trash (incinerators), and switched (or rather allowed) both commercial and domestic trash to go out in plastic bags instead of metal sealed/rodent proof cans.

New York City (especially Manhattan) has some of the oldest housing stock in the country. Many multi-family buildings were built in early part of last century if not before and thus don't have areas to store large amounts of trash.

When rubbish was incinerated on a daily basis it removed a major food source/attraction for vermin. Now that trash is collected three times a week, but still isn't enough. On off days garbage must sit somewhere on property (again often in plastic bags), which attracts vermin.

Other issue is NYC is going on a near two decade building boom. You start tearing down old buildings (some of them 100 or more years old), digging up streets/ground (the Norway rat is a burrowing creature), and it displaces and disperses rats.

Anyone interested can see extent of rat complaints by this handy NYC "rat map".
NYCityMap • DoITT • City-Wide GIS

Old 09-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Most likely, the alcohol is a methanol- toxic to people. They need warnings printed- so alcoholics are not tempted
Along with anyone else looking for a cheap source of booze.

In small doses methanol is relatively non-toxic to humans. OTOH if large amounts are consumed that is another story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Toxicity

During Prohibition hundreds if not thousands were either killed or left seriously harmed by consumption of methanol or ethanol they either cooked up themselves and or got from bootleggers/questionable sources.

So many were dying that it helped fuel the modern corner profession, which in turn ushered in the era of "corners reports" entered into criminal cases. Previously corners were political hacks with little or no medical experience, and or were simply paid to say what someone wanted them to do. Thus juries didn't often believe a word of their testimony, and as such people literally got away with murder.

There is a great book "The Poisoners Handbook" turned into a PBS program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-6auymBOY

Little known story that comes out of Prohibition is that federal government mandated methyl alcohol along with several other contaminants which were poisons to be included in industrial alcohol. This lead to scores if not hundreds of Americans dying from alcohol poisoning.

Industrial alcohols then as now are everywhere. From perfumes to laundry detergents, and so forth. Since obviously then you cannot ban that substance, Congress took other actions knowing fully well that people were illicitly consuming such fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWo8vNRbPyQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events