Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 12:02 PM

50,322 posts, read 35,948,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If it takes someone six months to save $450 for an iPhone for their kid, the phone is above their means. Who cares if the kid is 16.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Most people would've out it on a credit card, at least they saved up for it. I think it's a good lesson to teach a kid you have to actually be patient and save money for something.

Why on all these threads where something befalls someone, a crime, the victim gets attacked? Why do you care why she was buying an iPhone? How is it relevant to the story in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 01:24 PM

19,753 posts, read 11,990,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Most people would've out it on a credit card, at least they saved up for it. I think it's a good lesson to teach a kid you have to actually be patient and save money for something.

Why on all these threads where something befalls someone, a crime, the victim gets attacked? Why do you care why she was buying an iPhone? How is it relevant to the story in any way?

The kid was not the one saving for it, the mother was. People asked why a child needs an iPhone if the parents have to save for six months to pay for it. I don’t care if other people are so foolish with their money but these will be the same ones who cry when they can’t afford $400 for an emergency. Priorities.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why?

We don't know how old the child is - she could well be 16.

If you watched the video you would know the daughter was 14.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,717,235 times
I see nothing wrong with them budgeting and creating a savings plan to purchase the iPhone.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,734,577 times
There was a case like this on Judge Judy or The People's Court. A couple bought some phones off of Ebay, and the seller sent them a PICTURE of the phones, not an actual phone. It was an obvious scam, and the fat seller stood up there proudly and said the customer should have known she was getting only a picture.

People like them need put behind bars for a very long time.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:59 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,717,235 times
Just like a few years ago, some guy sells a necklace on craigslist and decides to take his kids with him to one of the most ghetto apartment complexes in the S. FL. area, like one of those high crime, drug infested type places. Well, they stole it from him and shot him a few times, he survived at least. Crazy thing was that his girlfriend was actually going to go but could not make it, so he went instead. Zero common sense.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:16 PM

50,322 posts, read 35,948,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The kid was not the one saving for it, the mother was. People asked why a child needs an iPhone if the parents have to save for six months to pay for it. I don’t care if other people are so foolish with their money but these will be the same ones who cry when they can’t afford $400 for an emergency. Priorities.
'
You have no idea if they have an emergency fund. I have an emergency fund, but if I wanted something that I considered a wanted but not needed item, I'd use money outside that fund. You have no idea what kind of arrangement they had. Maybe Mom said after all the bills are paid and money out in the fund, I'll save $15 a pay toward it.

Regardless I don't understand why simply being the victim of a crime suddenly makes it's open season to question her parenting and life management skills. What do they have to do with anything? No one here can know what their financial situation actually is, what is it you get out of speculating and then judging her based on that speculation?

It's not just here, I see it on so many threads, and I argue about it because it depresses me that so many people just grab the pitchforks and are so eager to separate themselves from everyone else (that's what the judgement really is I think, a way to make her different than us, therefore we won't be crime victims). I think the division is hurting our society in so many ways, and I think we're setting horrible examples for young people. I feel like more and more the internet just brings out the very ugliest and most petty parts of us, and it makes me sad and I wish I could stop it.

In any case, that's all I want to say on the matter. Carry on. Rip her to shreds.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,132,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This is the mother's fault. I would have inspected the iphone and made sure it worked before giving $450 for it. It is not like she bought it at Walmart. The scammer is evil, but the mother is stupid.
I think she didn't open it because it was a gift for her daughter, but I wouldn't care about that, I would open it up to see if the product was in there, and then tell my daughter that I had to open it up to inspect it, I doubt she would be bothered by it being opened for inspection.

The 18 year old seller is an idiot, too - why ruin your whole life by doing something so stupid and kharmically charged? All employers google prospective applicants and also people google people they are thinking of dating. Maybe this is an example of her frontal cortex not being fully developed, she's 18 and according to doctors that part of the brain is still developing, but then I think of 18 year olds who are so responsible and mature for their age, getting into college and also helping to pay for their own tuition, lots of those kinds of kids, too so there is hope.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,816,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It's getting to where there's not much point in buying anything from a private seller. A couple of reasons are, usually no warranty on the product, and you could be receiving stolen property. I learned this the hard way the time I bought a used wheel barrow. A man driving by saw it in my yard and claimed it was his. Sure enough, his name and SS# were written on the underside with a magic marker. I handed the wheel barrow over and kissed $15 good by. I had to do some fast talking to avoid getting punched in the nose.
Who the heck writes their name and SSN on something like a wheelbarrow? Maybe he wrote it on after he saw the wheelbarrow in your yard and decided he wanted it?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Who the heck writes their name and SSN on something like a wheelbarrow? Maybe he wrote it on after he saw the wheelbarrow in your yard and decided he wanted it?
That’s exactly what I was thinking, both parts.

At least he didn’t write his cc # that he paid with on the bottom of the wheelbarrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events