U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM

13,295 posts, read 9,011,592 times

Advertisements

Swappa > Letgo for buying smartphones. I've never had any major issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:40 PM

1,935 posts, read 952,729 times
I'd never pay hundreds of dollars for a cell phone. The yard sale groups on fb is always having someone selling phones and often some buyer is on there saying how they'd bought a cell phone off there and got ripped off in some way.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 PM

16,076 posts, read 13,841,117 times
She could have gotten a brand new i7 for that much.

Seller is a con, but the parents are stupid.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

188 posts, read 54,181 times
what is america becoming??

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,534,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She could have gotten a brand new i7 for that much.

Seller is a con, but the parents are stupid.
I love hearing the "met the seller in the Walmart parking lot at 10 pm"...........they are getting rolled but don't see the signs?!?!?!

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,054,646 times
How has mama grown up without learning any "scam sense"? This scam reeks from the start. Without asking to inspect the merchandise, she hands over money to a teenager, and then watches the girl quickly disappear. How can anyone be that stupid in this day and age?

The scammer, who was equally stupid, decides its a good idea to brag about her criminal caper on Facebook? Who does that?!

If this incident was written into a piece of fiction, nobody would believe it, and the author would receive nasty reviews for customers. I have no sympathy for anyone. Mama should have learned about scammers when she was 8-years-old. Her daughter, same thing.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

18,821 posts, read 20,778,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I thought I might have misspoke, but yes that is a lot of money for them to spend on a kid's phone. I'm sure they'd rather have nothing than a flip phone, but there are brand new smartphones out there that sell for a small fraction of the price they paid.
You can get a basic prepaid flip phone or even a cheap smart phone for what?.....$40/$60? I saw them on the rack at Walmart. If it takes a dual income family six months to save $450....you shouldn’t be buying a iPhone. That’s beyond your means. And being stupid enough not to thoroughly check the used item before you buy it is the epitome of stupidity. But so is going online and bragging about it.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

11,285 posts, read 2,950,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How has mama grown up without learning any "scam sense"? This scam reeks from the start. Without asking to inspect the merchandise, she hands over money to a teenager, and then watches the girl quickly disappear. How can anyone be that stupid in this day and age?

The scammer, who was equally stupid, decides its a good idea to brag about her criminal caper on Facebook? Who does that?!

If this incident was written into a piece of fiction, nobody would believe it, and the author would receive nasty reviews for customers. I have no sympathy for anyone. Mama should have learned about scammers when she was 8-years-old. Her daughter, same thing.
You would be surprised how dumb criminals are today! Its fairly common for thieves and scammers to post details of their crimes in social media now, its really making the polices job MUCH easier

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,050,910 times
It's getting to where there's not much point in buying anything from a private seller. A couple of reasons are, usually no warranty on the product, and you could be receiving stolen property. I learned this the hard way the time I bought a used wheel barrow. A man driving by saw it in my yard and claimed it was his. Sure enough, his name and SS# were written on the underside with a magic marker. I handed the wheel barrow over and kissed $15 good by. I had to do some fast talking to avoid getting punched in the nose.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

21,455 posts, read 17,042,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why are they buying a iPhone? Kid should ave one of those emergency you can call 5-6 people and 911 flip phones

How is that anyone's business but her family's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or