U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:36 AM

964 posts, read 648,042 times

Advertisements

We received a census to fill out online. Wow they ask alot of questions. I have never filled out a census before where they asked about interest, mortgage payments, home insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 06:47 AM

12,992 posts, read 6,674,171 times
I've never been asked to fill out an online Census form; to be fair, I doubt they would've been doing much of that the last time the Census was around due to people unfamiliar with the process and suspecting foul play. Today, I wouldn't even do it unless I followed up and tried to confirm that the online form was, in fact, a legitimate collection method by the Census Bureau.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM

22,832 posts, read 24,489,635 times
Is this a document from the Census Bureau, or were you asked to take a survey from another entity? The official US Census doesn't start until next spring, so unless this is a case study of some sort I'd wonder if it was official. Usually the census is asking for demographic information--who lives in this residence, what is their age and ethnic background, and how are they related to each other?

Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,061,850 times
According to this, you don't have to fill it out online. You can wait until a paper one comes in the US mail,

If it were me, I'd wait.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...nd-online.html

Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 AM

10,225 posts, read 5,303,843 times
You probably received the American Community Survey, which isn't the official census, but is a legitimate survey administered by the Census Bureau. You are required to complete it, and you can be fined if you don't. That doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't do some homework first to make sure what you received is legit.

From the US Census Bureau: About the American Community Survey

From Clark Howard: The American Community Survey: Is it legit & do you have to answer?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
We received a census to fill out online. Wow they ask alot of questions. I have never filled out a census before where they asked about interest, mortgage payments, home insurance, etc.
Mine was not online. They are usually delivered to your home in the mail.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

10,225 posts, read 5,303,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Looks like your first statement needs to be clarified. Did you receive it online, or was it something you received in the mail and had instructions to go online to fill it out?

If it's something you received in the mail and if you navigate directly to the US Census Bureau site (www.census.gov) and are able to enter the survey using the credentials provided to you in the mailing, then you can be certain that it is legitimate.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You probably received the American Community Survey, which isn't the official census, but is a legitimate survey administered by the Census Bureau. You are required to complete it, and you can be fined if you don't. That doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't do some homework first to make sure what you received is legit.

From Clark Howard: The American Community Survey: Is it legit & do you have to answer?
This is exactly what i received, i did check it out.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Looks like your first statement needs to be clarified. Did you receive it online, or was it something you received in the mail and had instructions to go online to fill it out?

If it's something you received in the mail and if you navigate directly to the US Census Bureau site (www.census.gov) and are able to enter the survey using the credentials provided to you in the mailing, then you can be certain that it is legitimate.
Yes i got it in the mail and rhe survey did give me Id numbers /letters to use.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,387,195 times
Quote:

I had never before heard of this survey, so thanks for posting those links. While I can appreciate the need the government has for information for resource and budgetary allocation, the level of detail they ask for in many of the questions is really startling and I'm not sure I disagree with the critics cited in the Clark Howard article that describe it as "overreach". Detailed income information, pretty much down to the dollar? How much you pay monthly for your house and what you think it's worth? Not just your highest educational level, but what field you studied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or