Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yahoo is saying he wants to press charges. Just one line about it.
Yes, I did see the article where he says he wants to press charges.

The thing is, criminal charges aren't his to decide. The cop came and left without citing anyone. Although he wants "to see him in jail", it's not up to the customer to decide that.

He can certainly make the decision to sue in civil court though.

Or, maybe this will be re-visited and LE will decide to arrest the employee.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-09-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, I did see the article where he says he wants to press charges.

The thing is, criminal charges aren't his to decide. The cop came and left without citing anyone. Although he wants "to see him in jail", it's not up to the customer to decide that.

He can certainly make the decision to sue in civil court though.

Or, maybe this will be re-visited and LE will decide to arrest the employee.

See, to me, that seems to imply that when the cops came, they could see the guy had been drinking, but seeing as it's New Orleans, and a tourist, and that's what people do in the French Quarter, the cop might've said something like "Well sir, I COULD arrest employee, but I smell alcohol on your breath, and I'd have to take you in as well for drunk and disorderly. But hey...if you want to come downtown and make a statement...we can certainly do that." (I know. I'm making lots of pretend here. lol)

Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,543,976 times
It’s understandable that an employee, especially one with a possible mental disability, would become irritated and frustrated at customers who might be acting rude.

BUT if you’re working with the public, then one needs to practice self-control and understand that there are consequences for your actions regardless of disability.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,081,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That was my thought too. His stance doesn't look like he's going back to apologize for sure, lol, it looks pretty aggressive to me. Also if the customer admits he was abrasive, just what does that mean, was he threatening violence towards someone? I find it very likely.
I can see firing the employee but I hope that's as far as it goes, no charges. And I hope the dimwit customer learns to keep a civil tongue in his head, he might not get so lucky next time he's 'abrasive' towards someone. Could have turned out worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think maybe you should go back and look at the video again?

I don't see the "kid" you state is pulling the employee off. I see a woman maybe in her 30's, slowly go up behind the employee, and take his arm and lead him toward the back. The employee has a very stilted, stiff flat footed way of walking, and in my opinion, it seems likely is mentally impaired or has autism.

We don't know what happened prior - the video starts when the small employee confronts the much larger man. It doesn't appear the much larger man suffered any noticeable injuries, hence, the police arrived and left without arresting anyone.

The SECOND time the customer approached this employee was just to irritate him, to rile him, IMHO, and escalate things. There is no audio so we can't hear how this employee speaks, but from his behavior, he is CLEARLY not the one who is going to be able to resolve the customer's food complaint. Best to wait a moment while the female employee deescalates the situation, and then address someone about getting another order of fries or whatever the complaint was.

At what point in the video do you see a "kid"? I do think the employee is likely a "kid", or is very young, but the woman who leads him away is not.

Yes I agree with both of you. I watched the video several times and you can tell the employee is rather slow and stilted and he became somewhat docile for a few seconds as the older female employee led him away. The customer then exacerbated the situation by following them and appears to have started hitting him, at which case the employee let loose choking him. Both were wrong, but unfortunately the employee will most likely be fired as even if he is impaired you can’t have him attacking a customer. His coping level is probably lower than was thought and he isn’t suited to this type of busy open position.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
It would be interesting to get a follow up to this story. Although, I guess we will not.

Personally, I think the employee will not lose his job. Just a hunch. I think there was probably PLENTY that went on before someone started shooting video, with customer behaving badly. Just my hunch. Some of it based on our experiences in New Orleans.

See...you can walk around New Orleans with your big ol drink, but you can't take your big ol drink into a place of business. Now, there are a ton of places to eat in the French quarter, but hey, when you're drunk, sometimes all you really want are some cheap carbs, and McDonald's fits that bill.

I think customer ordered his food, and then went outside to wait for it, and to continue with his drink. He says McDonald's messed up his order 3 times, but I'm thinking Mr. Drunk Customer wasn't very helpful in placing his order. And I'm thinking Mr. Customer went outside to wait for his orders and drink his drink, and lost track of time, and his fries got cold. He blames employees, maybe this one employee in particular, but everyone knows Mr. Customer is being a belligerent drunk.

We are only hearing Mr. Customer's side of things and I think my theory is a good one. LOL

Old 09-10-2019, 05:25 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
There is a legal defense called "fighting words".

Since we do not have the full video nor the audio, I leave this up to the authorities who talked to witnesses that were actually there and got the whole deal.

There is insufficient info here to reach an informed opinion.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM

21,714 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
That reminds me of an older incident more or less similar at a McDonald's, but not in the same location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLajUruAyw0

Then, there was a customer who had watched too much Dragon Ball Z when she asked for McNuggets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQa1DVpKgM
Well, you don't see the lead up but looks totally different. In the first video it looks like a customer reasonably complaining about bad food. He's just standing holding is his food and making a legitimate complaint. When the employee gets pulled off he just calmly walks behind like thanks for getting the irate guy out of my face but the fries are still bad. Nothing particularly threatening about his body language. He just wants edible fries.

The other video the lady is jumping across the counter to hit and throw food at the employees before Big Bertha comes out. That's completely different. Employees shouldn't have to just curl up in a ball when they're being physically assaulted. It wasn't unprovoked and initially Bertha just tried to restrain the person. Basically totally different situations.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-11-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 12,037,251 times
The employee was fired.

http://www.newsweek.com/mcdonalds-ne...tacked-1458422

Old 09-15-2019, 05:17 PM

609 posts, read 262,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"The man, who wished to remain unnamed, admitted to news station 4WWL that while he was abrasive to the staff, he didn’t expect the incident to evolve into a violent one."
So many things wrong with that!
Dude thought as a customer he had the right to treat people like crap?
The employee was wrong for putting his hands on the customer the first time, and for choking him, but truthfully I'm a little bit pleased that when the much bigger guy went back after the employee the employee didn't back down. Really stupid move and he may pay dearly for it, but OTOH I'm really tired of people who think they can treat service workers as less than human, just because of where they work.
Does not matter if the customer was being rude. He did not break any laws. You can be treated rudely by someone even if you don't work in the service industry.

The employee will wind up with an assault charge and this will go down on his permanent criminal record.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 AM

16,010 posts, read 21,025,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Does not matter if the customer was being rude. He did not break any laws. You can be treated rudely by someone even if you don't work in the service industry.

The employee will wind up with an assault charge and this will go down on his permanent criminal record.
Legally, no it doesn't matter and yes, as I said the employee will pay for his actions. Morally, it matters that the customer was rude, kind of the point of my remarks.
Cowards that act like entitled jerks towards service workers need to have someone put them in their place occasionally, they only act like that because they feel safe in knowing that the employees are supposed to 'take it'. Does my heart good to see this idiot customer get an unexpected retaliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events