Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Employee was obviously in wrong but interesting how so many commenters ignore what even the customer himself admitted, that he was being an arse. If you look at the video the customer charged the employee after he was separated, so he is hardly an innocent saint here. You don't escalate a situation and then be blameless.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mc-d...195651157.html

Quote:
An employee at a New Orleans McDonald’s allegedly attacked a customer who complained about a cold order of fries.

Last week, the customer, who was on vacation with his wife in the Louisiana city, had complained to staff that his order of French fries was cold. The man, who wished to remain unnamed, admitted to news station 4WWL that while he was abrasive to the staff, he didn’t expect the incident to evolve into a violent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
The employee should be fired if he hasn't been already. He should also be arrested for assault. Of course, the customer was wrong as well for being abrasive to the staff. So many people lack control and can't behave like mature adults.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
How was that employee still working there after this? I assume the owner had not yet seen the video?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Goodness. Another service worker looking for an excuse to beat up a customer. Being an arse does not give another the right to assault. If the customer becomes violent, then it's self-defense.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM

5,103 posts, read 2,049,434 times
That reminds me of an older incident more or less similar at a McDonald's, but not in the same location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLajUruAyw0

Then, there was a customer who had watched too much Dragon Ball Z when she asked for McNuggets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQa1DVpKgM

Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Here's my speculation.

My guess, watching the video, is that employee is a "special needs employee", that is, likely eligible for SSDI but is also working part time. I don't know what the designation is now called but it used to be called "sheltered workshop employee", where tax benefits are given to employers who are able to employ special needs workers.

Just by the way the employee is behaving, and by how the apparent manager has no problem quietly removing him from the scene.

Add to all that, the customer appears WELL CAPABLE of defending himself, but chooses to continue to aggravate the already out of control employee, even following and re-engaging him after the altercation has ended.

I wonder how many other altercations that customer has been in similar to this?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Goodness. Another service worker looking for an excuse to beat up a customer. Being an arse does not give another the right to assault. If the customer becomes violent, then it's self-defense.
So what rationale do you employ which makes you believe that food service employees look for excuses to physically engage customers?? No one here knows the full context, outside of the CUSTOMER admitting his role in escalating the situation, and no one here is excusing the employee. But to reach as far as to say that food service workers look for excuses to put hands on customers for no reason is more than a bit obtuse....

Old 09-08-2019, 08:44 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Employee was obviously in wrong but interesting how so many commenters ignore what even the customer himself admitted, that he was being an arse. If you look at the video the customer charged the employee after he was separated, so he is hardly an innocent saint here. You don't escalate a situation and then be blameless.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mc-d...195651157.html
Can't tell anything from the video, as is so often the case. There's no sound, for one thing. It doesn't start at the beginning of the trouble, for another thing. It doesn't show who put his hands on the other person first, for a third thing. All 3 things are critical.

The employee will get fired, of course. Whether he will be charged w/assault depends on the local police and who put his hands on the other first. Just because the employee "won," doesn't mean he was at fault.

Seems to me like the employee just snapped. When you're dealing with the rude public, there comes a time when a person just can't take it any more. People should try to be civil to employees who work with the public. We all have bad days, but take a deep breath before going off on a min wage worker about your food being cold.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
"The man, who wished to remain unnamed, admitted to news station 4WWL that while he was abrasive to the staff, he didn’t expect the incident to evolve into a violent one."
So many things wrong with that!
Dude thought as a customer he had the right to treat people like crap?
The employee was wrong for putting his hands on the customer the first time, and for choking him, but truthfully I'm a little bit pleased that when the much bigger guy went back after the employee the employee didn't back down. Really stupid move and he may pay dearly for it, but OTOH I'm really tired of people who think they can treat service workers as less than human, just because of where they work.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Cold, limp, soggy fries will do that to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events