U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

9,535 posts, read 8,519,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt this why the banks carry insurance?

If it was the banks fault, the insurance should be on the hook, its found money to the people whose account it was accidentally deposited in.
Thinking like this is exactly why these people are going to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

12,949 posts, read 6,654,872 times
Fools! I hope they have to pay it all back. And wish interest!

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

768 posts, read 824,621 times
This is plain ridiculous to not notify the bank and spend the money.

If their account had been debited (by mistake) for $100,000 would they have filed for bankruptcy because they couldn't pay any of their debts???

Lock 'em up!

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

18,232 posts, read 11,520,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Thinking like this is exactly why these people are going to jail.

Absolutely. For the people who think these folks did nothing wrong, there is a little thing in law called "Unjust enrichment ". Basically, you receive something that you know is not yours, and you use it. It is just like if UPS drops off a package by mistake at my house, I know I did not order it, but I take it and use it, that is illegal.

People can try to justify it any way they want, it is wrong and illegal. The people who got this $120K KNEW it wasn't theirs, no one makes a little math error like that one !

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

36,655 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it might be a little more nuanced.

Like with the flat screen TV that guy had that was mistakenly delivered to his house, you don't have to proactively try to return stuff that's accidentally been given to you. But when the true owner shows up demanding it, you have to give it back.

The guy with the flat screen decided he wouldn't give it back, and he was also charged with felony theft.

(An aside, I looked this guy in the bank deposit case up, and he's got 30 criminal records. Not surprising).

Nothing "nuanced" about it. And the prosecutor doesn't think so, either.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

10,940 posts, read 4,440,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Nothing "nuanced" about it. And the prosecutor doesn't think so, either.
Simply not reporting the money in their account isn't the crime - it's not giving it back when it was asked for. And that's a nuance. You're not responsible for noticing that you've gotten a huge windfall, if you truly haven't noticed it. And I could see that happening. Not everyone checks their accounts - and so merely not returning the money immediately isn't the crime.

It's the not being able to pay it back, when it was demanded.

And the bank didn't call the cops for a long time - rather, contacted them several times by phone, and then attempted contact several more times. I'm guessing had the couple had the means (some people do) hand back the 120K, that would have been it, no questions, no charges.

So yes, like the guy with the flat screen TV, this is nuanced. The crime isn't not giving the money back right away, but rather, not giving it back when it's demanded.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,859,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Wrong.

That money is no more theirs because the bank made a mistake, than money they found on the street would be if they saw the person who'd dropped it, looking for it.
That didn't make much sense, friend. Bad analogy.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

1,603 posts, read 675,573 times
What rednecks....they bought cars with it.

Saw their picture, lol confirmed.

One time a teller almost put double my cash deposit in ($2400 instead of $1200 cash), but I stopped her because I'm not dishonest first of all, and didn't want to mess with a bank either. Lol just imagining the trouble....Bank of America versus me. Not sure it would turn out too well for me.

I asked a teller I know that works at another branch of BOA and she said that if I didn't say anything they would have never known because it was cash. And the teller would have been responsible and lost her job.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 3,113,659 times
About a year ago, I was checking my brokerage acct and lo and behold, there was $585,000 in it that had been deposited the day before. I let it go for a week and then called my broker and asked where it came from. They didn't know. When they finally checked it out, someone in another State had sold a house and the money was put in my acct. Apparently, even the people whose money it was, didn't realize that in hadn't been deposited correctly. It was nice to look at for awhile but there is no way you can get away spending that money.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 485,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Simply not reporting the money in their account isn't the crime - it's not giving it back when it was asked for. And that's a nuance. You're not responsible for noticing that you've gotten a huge windfall, if you truly haven't noticed it. And I could see that happening. Not everyone checks their accounts - and so merely not returning the money immediately isn't the crime.

It's the not being able to pay it back, when it was demanded.

And the bank didn't call the cops for a long time - rather, contacted them several times by phone, and then attempted contact several more times. I'm guessing had the couple had the means (some people do) hand back the 120K, that would have been it, no questions, no charges.

So yes, like the guy with the flat screen TV, this is nuanced. The crime isn't not giving the money back right away, but rather, not giving it back when it's demanded.
I disagree on this one. They’re thieves and knew exactly what they were doing. At some point they checked the account and knew flat out that money wasn’t theirs. They didn’t care, ignored bank messages and spent it. Believe it that I’d notice if even 50$ was deposited and 20$ was withdrawn. I have text messages set up for any activity on my accounts. They must be idiots if they thought they’d get away with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or