U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

4,818 posts, read 1,865,735 times

Advertisements

I carry a large enough balance (5-10k) in my checking account that I would probably not notice a $1,000 mistake, and therefore would not bring it to the bank's attention. Would my failure to alert the bank, and just carry the windfall, constitute felony theft? A thousand dolllars is felony territory, same as a hundred thou.

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 11:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:03 AM

1,614 posts, read 675,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I carry a large enough balance (5-10k) in my checking account that I would probably not notice a $1,000 mistake, and therefore would not bring it to the bank's attention. Would my failure to alert the bank, and just carry the windfall, constitute felony theft? A thousand dolllars is felony territory, same as a hundred thou.
That's also a good question. I'm not sure I would notice $1000 gone or extra either, at least not right away.

The bank would probably look at your account and see normal activity and give you the benefit of the doubt, at least I would hope.

Old Today, 01:15 AM

9,301 posts, read 11,036,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Who's dumb enough to do this?

Did they really think the bank wouldn't notice, OR that it would be there's to keep - like finders keepers?

https://wnep.com/2019/09/06/state-po...-bank-account/
Numbskulls and grifters. And they bought cars! Like they wouldn't be caught.

Old Today, 01:18 AM

9,301 posts, read 11,036,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'm thinking Robert and Tiffany had a pretty good idea that a $120,000 deposit was a mistake.

Old Today, 01:31 AM

21,482 posts, read 17,057,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I will ask again...what is the purpose of deposit insurance, if not for situations just like this?

This is what insurance is for folks, to protect us when mistakes happen, its why we carry home and car insurance, its why banks carry deposit insurance.
Been answered several times. Deposit insurance protects consumer bank accounts. If the bank fails, the federal government guarantees you’ll still get the money that you had in your account. That’s what FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance) is. It came about because so many people lost everything they in so many banks that failed almost overnight after the stock market crash precipitating the Great Depression. People from that era, would never of put money in banks again after that if there wasn’t some sort of guarantee that they wouldn’t lose it.

Old Today, 01:33 AM

21,482 posts, read 17,057,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You might be on to something. I'm not a lawyer but I think he can claim he had no idea where the money came from and that it was a gift. Doubt he'll be on the hook.
I think it might fall under receiving stolen property but not sure.

Old Today, 03:02 AM

5,571 posts, read 2,250,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Who's dumb enough to do this?

Did they really think the bank wouldn't notice, OR that it would be there's to keep - like finders keepers?

https://wnep.com/2019/09/06/state-po...-bank-account/
The couple has to go to jail, because the bank messed up. It makes total sense. LOL.

Old Today, 03:55 AM

10,679 posts, read 6,086,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I once found a kid on my dock at the lake. Never once thought about keeping him...
This was pretty awesome.

Old Today, 06:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 250,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The couple has to go to jail, because the bank messed up. It makes total sense. LOL.
No, the couple does not have to go to jail because the bank messed up.

My wife had $4000 show up in her account once because of a bank error. The bank messed up. She didn't go to jail. Want to take a wild guess why?
Spoiler
A: Because she didn't try and keep and/or spend the money!

The couple has to go to jail because they knowingly kept and spent money that did not belong to them.

To apocryphally quote John Wayne:
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid."

Old Today, 06:54 AM

10,610 posts, read 12,544,724 times
They should have bought lottery tickets so they could double their money!

Could you imagine the redneck Christmas they were having this summer? Honey I'm buying you a camper, ok then I'll buy you a racecar and we will get 4 wheelers for the kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or