U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,329,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Doesn't matter what she said or did. A properly trained customer service rep, no matter in what industry, has an obligation to DE-escalate the exchange, not add more fuel to it by being a jerk in their own right.
I doubt that a guy working the night shift at a Jack In the Box has had a lot of customer service training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

14 posts, read 782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I doubt that a guy working the night shift at a Jack In the Box has had a lot of customer service training.
A person should not need training to be a decent human being. that guy was a jerk. glad he was fired. poor b**rd probably thought he should get 15 an hour.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,355,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
McDonalds, and many other of the fast food restaurants in my area, already have signs like that "Hearing or Visually impaired customers, please pull to window". And, some McDonalds do have braille menus and have for decades (obviously for passengers not drivers).

That's been my experience. It's usually fine print as well, so it's easy to miss.

Even with this on the menu, we don't always come across the staff that get this and just do their job. Sonic's for example says on their menu sign that we should either honk the horn or flash our lights and they'll send somebody over to assist... too many times, staff there will look at us completely puzzled, but they don't come out. Hoeever, there was one time, a staff came over but she told us we needed to speak into the intercom to get our order then walks away when I pointed out what it says on the menu and that we couldn't use the intercom. It's why we don't bother going to Sonic's (though we just moved into a new city, and noticed the Sonic's have a walk-up window here, so we might just try that).

As for the poster's comment about using the kid help and consider it a teamwork... while it does seem simple enough to use the kid, that's a whole another set of issue. I as a Deaf adult do not like using my kid as a language broker and it doesn't always guarantee an easier outcome or communication.

I couldn't have dragged it on for 2 hours, lol. I can only SMH at this whole thing. Just crazy all around.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

1,684 posts, read 487,042 times
Another incident though that of course went viral. I’m not condoning what this employee did but at same time does he need his entire life ruined because he acted like an a** on the graveyard shift of a minimum wage job. That’s what seems to be the wanted end result in most of these situations. Nobody can be an idiot anymore and everybody wants to sue every time anything unpleasant happens.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

4,413 posts, read 1,663,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She CAN talk. People here who watched the video said they understood her perfectly. She canít use the speaker because she canít hear anything said back, or even know when the person is there ready to take her order. Looking at the person in front of her she can read lips. She walked up to the window and verbally ordered and he not only said no and told her to go away, he mocked her repeatedly.
I don't know why you felt the need to lecture me, but you need to back up and slow your roll. I'm well aware of all of this without you telling me.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Quote:
All the more reason why he should have been working on a shift where there is constant supervision from management and more senior employees so they can keep tabs on him and his conduct. He probably would have been weeded out before now.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Another incident though that of course went viral. I’m not condoning what this employee did but at same time does he need his entire life ruined because he acted like an a** on the graveyard shift of a minimum wage job. That’s what seems to be the wanted end result in most of these situations. Nobody can be an idiot anymore and everybody wants to sue every time anything unpleasant happens.
He's the one who chose to act that way. I'd hate to see him try my job, call center agent, especially when on a call where a 3rd party interpreter is needed. He'd probably be a jerk and refuse to accommodate the caller's needs. He wouldn't last a day doing my job, because they do grade you on your demeanor and professionalism when the calls get QC'ed, and you never know when your supervisor may be listening in on you from their desk. My sup listened to 2 of my calls yesterday, and then brought the review sheet over for me to sign - I got perfect reviews on both, and a request to mentor the next group of trainees starting tomorrow (and I've only been an agent myself on the production floor since May 22).

You either have a knack for customer service.. or you don't. This employee obviously doesn't.

Old Today, 03:01 AM

784 posts, read 233,861 times
Only made it through the first page of responses (so far), so I apologize if this is redundant - I have to wonder if this wasn't a contrived scenario by the deaf customer in order to hit the ghetto lottery - deaf people can be asses, too. No idea if this was the case, but it has to be thrown out there as a possibility. Either way, the employee was in the wrong, and should have had both better sense and much more compassion for the disabled. Speaking of which, how do blind people navigate the drive-through? Does the menu sign have braille lettering on it?

Old Today, 03:12 AM

8,838 posts, read 6,275,384 times
Quote:
This pretty much summarizes my feelings about this. I'm sure that the video didn't start rolling until the employee had been sufficiently baited to make him lose his cool. The purpose of the video is to cash in, and I'm sure that anything that would have shown any culpability on the part of the customer or her son took place before the recording started.
And that's what they do. Armed with the ADA, many of them have made doing this their life's mission. Sometimes for $$, but always to disrupt, annoy, and control others.

And they do it simply because they can. They can because of the kind of woefully misguided support we see in this thread and, of course, the undying and zealous backing by the tools in the media.

Old Today, 04:42 AM

784 posts, read 233,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I wouldn’t want to eat the food after an altercation with someone preparing the meal or at least has access to it. Who knows what they might have done to it?
"Hmmmm…...tastes like candy, but it's not".

Went back and watched the video and read up to page three or four, and you guys obviously beat me to it. Dollar signs in her eyes. Question: Why was she repeatedly signing to someone who obviously didn't know sign language? The guy at the window wasn't exactly a Rhodes Scholar, she would have been lucky to get her order correctly if her hearing was perfect. Yeah, an irresistible force met an immovable object that night, and Jack lost. I personally think the ADA was a positive thing, providing the disabled with access via wider doors, curb ramps, etc.. But it's being hijacked by activists, now counterfeiting their emotional support animal as a service animal and deserving of accommodation, there's a lot of videos out there showing this. The guy in Radio Shack, I think, who was outraged that no one ran out with a paper towel when his emotional support Bulldog shat on the floor, is a great example.

With respect to the food, I know three people who have gotten "food poisoning" - one friend and myself got hit in independent restaurants, and another friend was laid up for a day from....Jack in the Box.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; Today at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events