U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

9,695 posts, read 7,335,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
McDonalds, and many other of the fast food restaurants in my area, already have signs like that "Hearing or Visually impaired customers, please pull to window". And, some McDonalds do have braille menus and have for decades (obviously for passengers not drivers).

I read yesterday that McDonalds has bought another company that does AI to listen to someone ordering and places their order with no human intervention. Basically recognizes their speech when ordering at the drive thru. So.. Short of someone who is mute... That should cover things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It may well be true that that was her plan. However if these places were properly training their employees, they would not have to worry about lawsuits. She could go to every fast food restaurant in her town and try the same thing, and if the employees are properly trained and again decent human beings, because this one mocked her relentlessly, they would not have to worry about it. Whether her intentions were good or nefarious does not change the fact that this was a terrible employee who is also a terrible human being. And that the store is not properly training their employees to follow the ADA. The fact that she was filming it to make money would not change any of that.
As I've mentioned, training only goes so far. Until someone is in that situation, you don't know how they're going to react. And, the guy might have just had a horrible day.. That's not excusing what he did, but he could have been a model employee (Yeah, not likely) and was triggered at this point. So I have a hard time blaming or placing responsibility on JitB. The responsibility lies with the employee. And.. Again.. I am NO fan of E-Coli in a Box.

What DOES confuse me.. This guy couldn't have been the only person in the restaurant. After a period of time, you'd think that someone else would come up and defuse the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

8,845 posts, read 6,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Oh yeah, Donald Trump's fault. I remember people making fun of quirks and disabilities of others pre-trump,

i was born in 84.
I was 35 in 84. Trust me, it goes back to the beginning of time.

Point #2, and more importantly, Trump has stated that he was mocking the denial made by the reporter and not his disability. And that's perfectly plausible given the way Trump so spontaneously and frequently animates when speaking.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

229 posts, read 90,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Seriously? Is it THAT big a deal?

Back in the 80's, when I was a teenager.. I used to work at a fireworks/pumpkin/christmas tree stand that would go in the parking lot of the shopping center beside where I lived. if we needed change, I walked over and walked through the drive thru at the bank in the parking lot. (remember, back in the 80's, banks did weird stuff.. Inside was only open until 2pm or so, drive thru until 6pm or so).. I was about 12.. What were they going to say? No, come back in a car?

Honestly, the guy at JitB was totally in the wrong here. He should have just taken her order at the window, smiled, given her the food and said "Have a nice day"

But she's not 100% right in everything she did. I don't agree with her suing the company. This is a situation where they hired an a-hole. Once they were shown the type of a-hole he was, they terminated him. What more can you ask?

I also don't agree with her sitting there for two hours. Take out the part that she sat waiting 2 hours trying to get JitB food.. I mean, 2 tacos for 99 cents ain't worth 2 hours of my time. Especially THOSE tacos. Wonder how many other people she inconvenienced (Saved from a bad meal) during that time?

Sometimes, you just want to look at people and shout.. "OTHERS!".. She apparently had no concern for others.
I will admit to LOVING those tacos. A dirty pleasure if you will.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

21,510 posts, read 17,065,776 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, Donald Trump's fault. I remember people making fun of quirks and disabilities of others pre-trump,

i was born in 84.

My response was specifically to the poster who claimed our kids are impolite with no work ethic because we impose restrictions on when they can have drinks and legal sex. I said that's hogwash and if anything it's more to do with role models and used the above as my example. Yes "people", random a**holes, bullied the disabled for most of time. It is not the same as the people youth are supposed to be looking toward as models doing it. What elected official would have acted like this in 1984?

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

1,725 posts, read 1,532,367 times
I have a deaf customer. When she comes in I get out a note pad and pen. She writes down what she wants and I write down her total. We exchange goods and money. We have a pleasant interaction every time even though I can't talk to her. How hard is this? The exact same thing would/should happen at a drive thru window.

I'll admit, I did not watch the video, but I will say there is no way it could escalate into what it did without everyone involved being at fault.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 782 times
I do not feel sorry for the fast food worker.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

4,413 posts, read 1,663,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And that's what they do. Armed with the ADA, many of them have made doing this their life's mission. Sometimes for $$, but always to disrupt, annoy, and control others.

And they do it simply because they can. They can because of the kind of woefully misguided support we see in this thread and, of course, the undying and zealous backing by the tools in the media.
And if the customer service reps were properly trained, they wouldn't have a case, because the CSR serving them would already know how to work with someone who is disabled and would be able to de-escalate any possible confrontation because they are already providing top-notch service to begin with. Good customer service DOES NOT entail mocking someone's disability or refusing a perfectly reasonable accommodation.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

23,884 posts, read 10,830,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At that point.. Sometimes you can't blame the company, they've done all they can.. Every now and again you just hire an a-hole.
Yes. That's true. Every once in a while, even as a school principal, I hired a lemon.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

23,884 posts, read 10,830,778 times
Quote:
All of this took place at 4 AM. Lady is tripping!

I respect that she wants to be independent and all that but in this scenario you also have to factor the inconvenience of the worker. It's a FAST FOOD restaurant and you are on the drive-thru. Your son is capable of placing the order for the both of you or signing to you when to answer. But whatever let's do it the hard-way.

Let's have all drive thru with a visual signal to speak for deaf people, braille for blind (not sure how they will drive maybe in a Tesla), a Ipad for people that are mute.
The convenience of the worker? Especially at 4 a.m. The easiest thing for the worker could have done is simply finish the order. I've actually been at fast food drive-thrus where the speaker was broken and they had a paper on it saying "Just drive up".

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

4,288 posts, read 994,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I do not feel sorry for the fast food worker.
No need to, he’ll just get a job at the McDonald’s across the street and treat other people badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events