U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

25 posts, read 15,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Not always. People sue for a payday. The employee has been fired and Iím sure again theyíll have more training. This incident couldíve been avoided by having her son order. Yes the employee was a jerk and heís been fired. This all isnít worth millions from the restaurant.
I have not decided where I stand on the suing. It is easy to assume she is in it for the money. On the other hand, lawsuit can raise awareness regarding the deaf accessibility issue.

The employee wasn't confused or just being ignorant, he knew what was going on and being a jerk about it. The video exposed the ugly side when one is faced with discrimination. I personally have experience discrimination due to disability and know that many emotions arise when in that situation.

While the idea of her son could have ordered on her behalf to avoid this incident, why shouldn't she be able to order for herself? She is independent and deserves to have her voice heard just like anyone else. She is fully capable.

Deaf people don't go everywhere with a sign language interpreter following them 24/7. There are many communication tools to pick from, i.e. texting, writing, lip reading, sign language, hand gestures, pictures, and ECT.

Even when one may not be able to speak or are mute, they still have a "voice". Deaf people may not be able to hear but they can still "hear" or listen by using their eyes or by touch/feeling.

Last edited by PinkRoseAngel; Yesterday at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Took out emoji that wasn't suppose to be there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

8,418 posts, read 5,486,972 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNKn5ykP9PU

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

12,975 posts, read 6,669,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It doesn't matter whether the son was capable of placing the order. People who are deaf or hearing impaired need to be able to conduct business, and employees need to be trained on how to do so.

"Hello, welcome to Jack in the Box. Can I take your order?"

"Would you like fries with that?"

"I'm sorry, we're out of X, Y and Z."

She can't hear these things. Is it really that difficult to understand why she doesn't use the ordering speakers "like everyone else does"?
Amen!

Its irrelevant that her son isn't deaf. The expectation is that you're treated with respect and dignity when out and about.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

36,747 posts, read 10,879,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Amen!

Its irrelevant that her son isn't deaf. The expectation is that you're treated with respect and dignity when out and about.

It certainly proves that this wasn't about the food.

And not being treated with "respect and dignity" is no more actionable for a deaf customer than it is for a hearing one.

What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is what's at issue here.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

8,854 posts, read 6,282,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRoseAngel View Post
I have not decided where I stand on the suing. It is easy to assume she is in it for the money. On the other hand, lawsuit can raise awareness regarding the deaf accessibility issue.

The employee wasn't confused or just being ignorant, he knew what was going on and being a jerk about it. The video exposed the ugly side when one is faced with discrimination. I personally have experience discrimination due to disability and know that many emotions arise when in that situation.

While the idea of her son could have ordered on her behalf to avoid this incident, why shouldn't she be able to order for herself? She is independent and deserves to have her voice heard just like anyone else. She is fully capable.

Deaf people don't go everywhere with a sign language interpreter following them 24/7. There are many communication tools to pick from, i.e. texting, writing, lip reading, sign language, hand gestures, pictures, and ECT.

Even when one may not be able to speak or are mute, they still have a "voice". Deaf people may not be able to hear but they can still "hear" or listen by using their eyes or by touch/feeling.
Simply ridiculous. If she were fully capable, this thread would not exist.

She was, however, fully capable of working with the system in place a that restaurant at that hour with the help of her son....if obtaining food had been the objective. It wasn't.

The objective was disruption....for the sake of disruption. And adding a bit of fame and fortune in the process as a bonus? What a country!

In a free society, disruption should never be imposed by the force of law. The ADA has created conflict and bitterness that has gotten people killed. One of the worst pieces of legislation ever conceived.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

4,851 posts, read 1,876,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I bet that guy LOVES that.
Nice touch -- real class. Fact is, that guy loves his Filipina wife, who is 52 years old.

My point is that young fast food staff lack the maturity to make responsible decisions because they are nannied too long without being allowed to make any. Stay on topic.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

21,485 posts, read 17,081,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Nice touch -- real class. Fact is, that guy loves his Filipina wife, who is 52 years old.

My point is that young fast food staff lack the maturity to make responsible decisions because they are nannied too long without being allowed to make any. Stay on topic.
But you continue to ignore the fact that my generation came of age under the same restrictions, actually more so because then teens couldnít get birth control without a parent taking them to a doctor. Yet we did not have these issues regarding work ethic at all. I delivered for Dominoís, never in a million years would I have argued with a customer like that, and mocking a disabled person about her disability would never ever have happened.

Regardless whether itís wise or not to have restrictions, it has zilch to do with anything that happened in this thread and is not responsible for a poor work ethic or bad attitude.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

522 posts, read 366,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And a bonanza may well have been the motive behind this woman's suit. But chances are, she won't get one. They seldom do.

As a matter of fact, you always hear about the suits, but not the outcomes. Even the fact that a settlement has been reached is newsworthy, and doesn't require revealing the amount, which is often proscribed, but we seldom hear about them.

One case I remember, involved another deaf woman who sued after two Taco Bells "berated" her, and refused to take her written order at the drive-thru window, during normal business hours.

The suit was, ultimately, permanently dismissed--but THAT wasn't news, as the original lawsuit was. And it doesn't appear that much has changed at drive-thrus.

Not only do plaintiffs in such suits rarely prevail, but lawsuits, themselves, don't always result in the changes plaintiffs had initially hoped for.
Money isn't the sole objective. Often times, despite having this happening over, over and over people in drive through customer service never learn! this is why those lawsuits keep happening, because hearing people are just idoitic or bloody rude like the guy in jack in box. Who was rightly fired, as he should! All he had to do was just take her simple order of number 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
She also needs to be realistic. Reasonable Accommodations are just that Reasonable. Its a give-and-take on both ends. Few people are conversant in sign language, especially teenage kids working the window at a FF joint. Ok, yes, I know she should be able to function in society independently, but it doesn't always work that way. You don't just drive up to a window, start using sign language, and expect them to understand!

Like another poster commented, Jack-In-Box, like many other FF restaurants, does have phone apps. There's your Reasonable Accommodation! A Reasonable Accommodation doesn't necessarily have to be aimed specifically at a particular handicap or disabled group to serve the purpose of being a reasonable Accommodation. Wheelchair ramps and curb cuts can also be used by able-bodied people. Raised toilet seats can also be used by non-handicapped persons. Etc, etc.

If she does try to sue, good luck with that! I am also disabled, and have found the ADA to be, essentially, useless. You have to figure your own way to navigate life, without waving the handicapped "laws" in everyone's face! She also needs to be prepared for them and the situations. Each person, handicapped or not, essentially makes their own way in life.
Nice to know people like you are out there. Of course, deaf people are aware that not all know sign language which is why that deaf woman said number 8 is my order, repeatedly! The guy refusing to take the order was the stupid one and hope this follows him for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They had an agenda I think, but I don't know it was necessarily money. The son said something about deaf people not being treated right by establishments during the filming. It may be that they go around trying to point out all the places that don't abide by the laws regarding disabilities. They could be doing as a way to effect change, which usually doesn't happen without a lawsuit.

I highly doubt she'll get millions, you have to justify what you're asking for with actual damages.
It isn't like she's suing for kicks and giggles. That despite having this happening again, again all over the country in different establishments, those idiots still don't learn. Just bloody take the order from deaf people at the window, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
and you....I'm very disappointed to read majority of the comments on this thread saying the deaf woman should have, do this, or do that. Excusing the horrible man's rude terrible attitude. And she shouldn't have to use her son! She is a grown fully functioning lady, and should have her own right to order for drinks/food under her own self.

I'm deaf. I often use those drive by to order items when it isn't as easy for me to get out of car, to go in the venue, and order from front. Why should I?? the hearing people have that right to order from drive thru, and so should we. And no, we shouldn't have to use our hearing children to order for us. It's putting a burden on them, when the employee in question is hired for the simple task; take customers orders and comply!

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

10,968 posts, read 4,457,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It certainly proves that this wasn't about the food.

And not being treated with "respect and dignity" is no more actionable for a deaf customer than it is for a hearing one.

What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is what's at issue here.
The thing is, she didn't need to be accommodated. She just needed to be able to purchase food.

She spoke in a very clear voice.

It's impossible to believe at 4 in the morning, ordering through the drive up window is a problem, at all. The drive up window guy could just shout her order back to the kitchen. No other customers are there to deal with.

No accommodations needed for her disability. Just don't act like a complete jerk and pretend you can't serve her.

How many times does a customer, who has ordered food at the appropriate speaker device, need to change their order to add more fries, or change their soda, etc, when they arrive at the pick up window. All the time, is the answer.

It seems in those instances the window guy has no trouble reworking the order and doesn't send the customer back through the line.

Because it's not an issue. As this case should not have been an issue.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

8,854 posts, read 6,282,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
Money isn't the sole objective. Often times, despite having this happening over, over and over people in drive through customer service never learn! this is why those lawsuits keep happening, because hearing people are just idoitic or bloody rude like the guy in jack in box. Who was rightly fired, as he should! All he had to do was just take her simple order of number 8!

Nice to know people like you are out there. Of course, deaf people are aware that not all know sign language which is why that deaf woman said number 8 is my order, repeatedly! The guy refusing to take the order was the stupid one and hope this follows him for life.

It isn't like she's suing for kicks and giggles. That despite having this happening again, again all over the country in different establishments, those idiots still don't learn. Just bloody take the order from deaf people at the window, period.

and you....I'm very disappointed to read majority of the comments on this thread saying the deaf woman should have, do this, or do that. Excusing the horrible man's rude terrible attitude. And she shouldn't have to use her son! She is a grown fully functioning lady, and should have her own right to order for drinks/food under her own self.

I'm deaf. I often use those drive by to order items when it isn't as easy for me to get out of car, to go in the venue, and order from front. Why should I?? the hearing people have that right to order from drive thru, and so should we. And no, we shouldn't have to use our hearing children to order for us. It's putting a burden on them, when the employee in question is hired for the simple task; take customers orders and comply!
And this attitude is why no one who's been through it before wants to serve the deaf....and will run from any contact or association if they possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events