U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:16 PM

522 posts, read 366,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And this attitude is why no one who's been through it before wants to serve the deaf....and will run from any contact or association if they possibly can.
really? all it takes is humanity, which you obviously don't have. You've no idea what is it to live life and go through dealing with people like you and the employee. Just be grateful and happy you're hearing and don't have to confront ignorant people just because you're deaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 PM

36,760 posts, read 10,887,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The thing is, she didn't need to be accommodated. She just needed to be able to purchase food.

She spoke in a very clear voice.

It's impossible to believe at 4 in the morning, ordering through the drive up window is a problem, at all. The drive up window guy could just shout her order back to the kitchen. No other customers are there to deal with.

No accommodations needed for her disability. Just don't act like a complete jerk and pretend you can't serve her.

How many times does a customer, who has ordered food at the appropriate speaker device, need to change their order to add more fries, or change their soda, etc, when they arrive at the pick up window. All the time, is the answer.

It seems in those instances the window guy has no trouble reworking the order and doesn't send the customer back through the line.

Because it's not an issue. As this case should not have been an issue.

What are you talking about? Of course she needed an accommodation. She's deaf, and couldn't use the drive-thru speaker. The accommodation would have been to take order for #8, which she repeatedly asked for at the window.

The employee's rotten and abusive attitude is an entirely different issue, and she won't get squat for having to tolerate a rude employee, whose performance was dealt with internally with a subsequent termination.

The only issue is reasonable accomodation. And all one has to do is consider decades of disability lawsuits, with the same defendant establishments appearing over and over again, to see that plaintiffs are NOT prevailing in any meaningful way--which would be one that establishes routine procedures to be followed.

Instead, it appears that these places are given broad leeway to operate in a manner which isn't burdensome to them. That may include allowing staff to use their judgement (Do I take a window order at 4 a.m., but not at noon?) in such cases...or not.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 PM

4,855 posts, read 1,879,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you continue to ignore the fact that my generation came of age under the same restrictions, actually more so because then teens couldn’t get birth control without a parent taking them to a doctor. Yet we did not have these issues regarding work ethic at all. I delivered for Domino’s, never in a million years would I have argued with a customer like that, and mocking a disabled person about her disability would never ever have happened.

Regardless whether it’s wise or not to have restrictions, it has zilch to do with anything that happened in this thread and is not responsible for a poor work ethic or bad attitude.

Age of consent is only one of many decisions you learned to make in your generation. At a young age you cared for younger siblings, cooked meals and cleaned house and ran errands without supervision, and Good Lord, even played outdoors. AOC and drinking age are mentioned in my post only because they are verifiable as mandated by law, not just by custom. In almost half the stats, you can't even driver unrestricted at 16 any more, like you probably did.

Last edited by cebuan; 09-12-2019 at 10:35 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

8,422 posts, read 5,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Nice touch -- real class. Fact is, that guy loves his Filipina wife, who is 52 years old.

My point is that young fast food staff lack the maturity to make responsible decisions because they are nannied too long without being allowed to make any. Stay on topic.
This thread is at about an incident at jack in the box and you start talking about the age of consent in the USA, the drinking age, etc.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

4,855 posts, read 1,879,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
This thread is at about an incident at jack in the box and you start talking about the age of consent in the USA, the drinking age, etc.
No. It's about whether a young employee can be expected to have the maturity to work in customer contact. All I have posted is germane to that.

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

8,422 posts, read 5,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
and you....I'm very disappointed to read majority of the comments on this thread saying the deaf woman should have, do this, or do that. Excusing the horrible man's rude terrible attitude. And she shouldn't have to use her son! She is a grown fully functioning lady, and should have her own right to order for drinks/food under her own self.

I'm deaf. I often use those drive by to order items when it isn't as easy for me to get out of car, to go in the venue, and order from front. Why should I?? the hearing people have that right to order from drive thru, and so should we. And no, we shouldn't have to use our hearing children to order for us. It's putting a burden on them, when the employee in question is hired for the simple task; take customers orders and comply!
There is no shame in receiving help. Her son was there so he could have helped her and this would be a non-issue.

Fully functioning adults sometimes require help from others. People need to stop being so prideful.

The hearing people (your words) are able to use the drive thru since they can use the speaker box. That is the whole concept of a drive-thru. Place your order in the speaker box and drive to the pick up window to pay and pick up your order. It is a simple task for the customer and they must COMPLY!!

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And this attitude is why no one who's been through it before wants to serve the deaf....and will run from any contact or association if they possibly can.
No one is making them take jobs where they have to deal with people, but if they do they need to do it with a smile, that's what customer service is. I work with people with all types of disabilities and have no problems.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

21,495 posts, read 17,087,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Age of consent is only one of many decisions you learned to make in your generation. At a young age you cared for younger siblings, cooked meals and cleaned house and ran errands without supervision, and Good Lord, even played outdoors. AOC and drinking age are mentioned in my post only because they are verifiable as mandated by law, not just by custom. In almost half the stats, you can't even driver unrestricted at 16 any more, like you probably did.
I didn't drive till 17, which has been driving age in NJ for as long as I've been alive. I didn't cook or clean or care for younger siblings, it wasn't 1876, it was 1976. I went to the mall and arcades and watched TV and played music and talked on the phone just like kids do today. I never had to sew a button on a shirt because my grandmother did it for me.

And I had beer for the first time at 14, and sex at 15. I didn't even know what age of consent laws were then let alone what the age was. Again, kids don't give it a second thought because kids don't get in trouble for violating it, only adults who have sex with kids get in trouble for it, and I somehow went through all of my teen years without the desire to sleep with a 40 year old man.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

9,715 posts, read 7,350,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What are you talking about? Of course she needed an accommodation. She's deaf, and couldn't use the drive-thru speaker. The accommodation would have been to take order for #8, which she repeatedly asked for at the window.

Personally, I don't really consider driving to the window to place an order to be an accommodation. accommodation makes it sound like you're bending the rules or going out of your way for this person.. And I don't really consider ordering at the window to be either. It's just.. good customer service.

It's an exception to generally accepted procedure.. But I don't think "The rules of the drive thru" are written down anywhere and there's no enforcement bureau for them, though the JitB employee apparently thought he was part of that.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

24 posts, read 2,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

And I had beer for the first time at 14, and sex at 15. I didn't even know what age of consent laws were then let alone what the age was. Again, kids don't give it a second thought because kids don't get in trouble for violating it, only adults who have sex with kids get in trouble for it, and I somehow went through all of my teen years without the desire to sleep with a 40 year old man.
Yes most teenagers do just fine without sleeping with adults. In fact there's a lot more positive there, than negative. Age of consent laws only are a problem for adults who want to sleep with teenagers. So naturally they'll complain and even try to spin age of consent laws into something harmful for the teen, which is a joke they try to spin it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events