U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,589 posts, read 7,993,830 times
Reputation: 13399

Advertisements

I do not think the drive through is the place for a deaf person to place an order. Nor is it a place for a mute person to place an order. Nor a blind person. Nor a pedestrian (it is a DRIVE up, not a WALK up!). Nor someone who does not speak American English.
I wonder how many people were working that night who were conversant in sign language?

However, the employee was just as wrong as the customer. The manager ( shift boss) should have been brought in for guidance immediately. "HELP! I can not take this person's order, what should I do?"
Yes, to me also it seems like an entitled person looking for a confrontation with a payday at the end. I would love to be on the jury for that lawsuit! I would ask "Is it reasonable to require that every employer have on staff at all times employees conversant in every possible sign language and spoken language on Earth??"
IMO, no it is not reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 06:54 AM
 
3,950 posts, read 2,057,269 times
Reputation: 18908
Who argues with a fast food employee for two hours? What transpired during those two hours? I understood her just fine. She wanted meal #8. Why didn't she use the ordering speakers like everyone else does?

This makes no sense to me. Was this another set-up by a "specially challenged person" who poked a sharp stick at an employee before turning on the camera?

I can't judge based on ten seconds of video and the news media's negative opinion of another business. We all know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:12 AM
 
10,200 posts, read 5,284,391 times
Reputation: 35224
It doesn't matter whether the son was capable of placing the order. People who are deaf or hearing impaired need to be able to conduct business, and employees need to be trained on how to do so.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
She wanted meal #8. Why didn't she use the ordering speakers like everyone else does?


"Hello, welcome to Jack in the Box. Can I take your order?"

"Would you like fries with that?"


"I'm sorry, we're out of X, Y and Z."


She can't hear these things. Is it really that difficult to understand why she doesn't use the ordering speakers "like everyone else does"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Oort cloud
124 posts, read 109,322 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It doesn't matter whether the son was capable of placing the order. People who are deaf or hearing impaired need to be able to conduct business, and employees need to be trained on how to do so.







"Hello, welcome to Jack in the Box. Can I take your order?"

"Would you like fries with that?"


"I'm sorry, we're out of X, Y and Z."


She can't hear these things. Is it really that difficult to understand why she doesn't use the ordering speakers "like everyone else does"?
Fair argument if not for the fact that her son was there with her and could've placed the order in her stead or relayed the messages to his mom.
The whole thing does stink to me and I wouldn't be surprised if as others have pointed out this is an attempt to get a case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,657 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34790
Quote:
Katie the heartbreaker;56140059At 4 AM, the lobby is closed, so she could only use the drive-thru. The man at the drive-thru is a disgrace to treat a deaf person like that. He deserved to be fired and should not ever work in any customer service job since he has no respect for customers. Good riddance!

Oh, I didn't know that. We don't even have that eatery in this region.

But that little tidbit only reinforces my belief that this was a planned "outing." In this case, someone accompanied her, and her son could have given the order. IMO This is a money-grab.

As for that employee, again, he could have simply taken the order at the window. But the company is lucky to be rid of him. There'sno way I'm going to believe that this was an isolated incident with him. He doesn't belong in customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,657 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
https://abc7news.com/society/viral-v...order/5526666/

Another video on the topic.

Is her son also deaf? It somewhat defeats the purpose of drive-thru if you can't place your order with the speaker box. It will cause a backlog in the drive-thru.

Also, her staying there with her son for 2 hours to argue with this dude is CRAZY! I feel sorry for the employee.

In the first video, he was said to be "assisting" his mom during the interview, so I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,657 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who argues with a fast food employee for two hours? What transpired during those two hours? I understood her just fine. She wanted meal #8. Why didn't she use the ordering speakers like everyone else does?

This makes no sense to me. Was this another set-up by a "specially challenged person" who poked a sharp stick at an employee before turning on the camera?

I can't judge based on ten seconds of video and the news media's negative opinion of another business. We all know why.

Because she's deaf, and wouldn't be able to hear the employee asking for and confirming her order, telling her the amount due, etc. A conversation needs to take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:47 AM
Status: "Time for 25" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Cone of Uncertainty
7,727 posts, read 4,603,138 times
Reputation: 9188
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Fair argument if not for the fact that her son was there with her and could've placed the order in her stead or relayed the messages to his mom.
The whole thing does stink to me and I wouldn't be surprised if as others have pointed out this is an attempt to get a case.
I am guessing the son was on the passenger side of the car? Have you tried to yelll your order from the opposite side of the car into one of those sorry speakers? It doesn't tend to work well, so we always tell the driver what we want who then orders it for us.

I don't get arguing for two hours, but then I understand being taken aback when you are treated badly by someone in customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:54 AM
 
8,365 posts, read 5,471,020 times
Reputation: 9632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am guessing the son was on the passenger side of the car? Have you tried to yelll your order from the opposite side of the car into one of those sorry speakers? It doesn't tend to work well, so we always tell the driver what we want who then orders it for us.

I don't get arguing for two hours, but then I understand being taken aback when you are treated badly by someone in customer service.
Mom is deaf so he could yell as loud as he needs to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:14 AM
 
10,200 posts, read 5,284,391 times
Reputation: 35224
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Fair argument if not for the fact that her son was there with her and could've placed the order in her stead or relayed the messages to his mom.
The whole thing does stink to me and I wouldn't be surprised if as others have pointed out this is an attempt to get a case.

But the fact remains that she always needs employees to be prepared to allow her accommodations to be able to communicate with her. If they aren't prepared THIS TIME, how is she to expect them to be prepared next time, when he's not there?

She needs to be able to function independently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top