Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,082,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
As the customer, yes. Robert Duvall was the cop who tracked him down. I figured for this remake the woman in the car would bump Michael Douglas from the customer role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tC4qfv92Q
One of the best movies ever. It’s even more relatable today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
and they accused me of going off-topic

Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
OMG What a scene.
Yes I have to say that worker is really acting demented and shameful. She told him a number 8, so all he had to do was write down a couple questions about the order like drink and fry size and process the order.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,786,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Personally, I don't really consider driving to the window to place an order to be an accommodation. accommodation makes it sound like you're bending the rules or going out of your way for this person.. And I don't really consider ordering at the window to be either. It's just.. good customer service.

It's an exception to generally accepted procedure.. But I don't think "The rules of the drive thru" are written down anywhere and there's no enforcement bureau for them, though the JitB employee apparently thought he was part of that.

Stop being ridiculous. There doesn't have to be an "enforcement bureau" for an establishment to have standard operating procedures--and for a drive-thru, that would be ordering at the speaker, and proceeding to the window for pickup. Ordering at the window is clearly an accommodation. There's no question about that.

In addition, some people are conflating that employee's rotten attitude with this customer not being accommodated (at the window); they're two different things. He clearly doesn't belong in customer service, and that was even more apparent in the longer video.

Her behavior was just as bad in that video (probably why THAT one, with THOSE snippets, wasn't broadcast all over), and she started screaming at the top of her lungs before he did.

Interesting, too, that the "pull over there, and I'll bring out your order in 5 minutes," isn't unreasonable, and could be considered just the accommodation needed, especially if there's someone else in line, but she refused to do that. Of course, whatever accommodations are in place should be implemented immediately, not as an afterthought, or after a heated exchange.

Repeated incidents of this sort are proof that, in spite of the usual corporate lip service, these establishments haven't addressed the issue of serving the disabled with their staff.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:18 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,268,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I'm commenting as someone who has grown up and been involved with the deaf community as my grandmother and great aunt both suffered from hearing loss (one from birth the other sudden at 20 years old)

First off, the deaf community is one of the most discriminated communicative-limited communities in the US (only behind people with speech impediments and those with severe autism). Since they are a minority most people don't realize how terrible people treat them; many times acting like the employee or assuming like many posters on here that they could have done things better but instead decided to inconvenience them or trap them. But I assure you that spending a week with someone deaf will expose you to endless amounts of harassment since people are especially mean to those they can't understand or they feel they can take advantage of.

As such the deaf community in particular has become very tight knit and have a reputation for standing up for themselves which comes off to others not understanding their frustration as problematic and even antagonistic. They've developed such tough skins that they will call you out and stand up for themselves rather than shy away and try to keep hidden like others with disabilities. Part of this is a combination of the bad treatment and the fact this behavior towards them has been going on since the beginning of human interaction, they are perceived as weak and they've fought hard to show they're not going to be treated as such. They can seem very touchy and even take pride in their disabilities as they feel that they've had to overcome more daily as their disability usually isn't physically apparent so it throws people off leading to negative interactions like this. In reality if they didn't stand up for themselves no one would address the issues they face and people like the employee would be free to continue their behavior towards people with the same disability or eventually harass a "normal" customer.

To address some of your concerns about the situation

1) Just because the son is in the car doesn't make him the automatic interpreter. In fact most deaf people only want an interpreter there if it's absolutely necessary for clarity; and even then deaf community members prefer to speak and communicate independently if possible. There is an emotional breakdown when someone interprets for you, even if it's words you've picked it's their "voice/emotions" that get expressed directly to the receiver. This woman could read lips and speak; in her situation her son was not needed or in the position to take an order or be her voice.

2) It is common (even encouraged in most places I frequented with community members) for deaf or hard of hearing individuals to order or do business in drive throughs by going to the first window as it's available to place your order. It doesn't mess anything up or slow things down; the placement of the order in correspondence of the line will be the same, any person driving up to the window behind them will be told to wait and it won't take any more time. Anyone with critical thinking skills could work around the situation, instead this employee got an attitude and them proceeded to discriminate and harass a disabled woman for no reason other than to bully her (I mean did he really think she would want to go backwards and simply order her meal because he yelled at her to...)

Nowhere in the interviews and articles that I saw did it have a 2 hour timeframe for the argument. But in the video it's obvious that the woman sat there repeating her desired order clear as day to the employee for many minutes and all he did was mock her use of sign language, laugh at her speech patterns, and scream at her. I suspect this employee was an assistant/night manager otherwise a real manager come over at the begining to stop the heated interaction. No one stands there and argues with a customer that long; you either close the window and walk away or call the police. Him standing there continuing to harass her even when he understood her situation and why she needed to order at the window shows he just felt like mocking her disability and making problems that no real professional would even think about doing.

This woman has a legit reason for feeling the way she does. If she said or recorded nothing the jerk who did this to her would probably be doing it to someone else and the waves of negative influence would affect his fellow employees, other customers, and the companies reputation in that area. People like to complain and say people are looking for a payout, but she's already got the biggest one you can expect from recordings like these...a toxic person was removed and fellow employees will have the chance to be better for ALL customers. Most of the time you can't even get that without suing a company that large so a lawsuit and exposure to the issues is needed. And at the end of the day the employee was absolutely wrong, out of line, and deserves more then getting fired. He owes his co-workers, the woman and her son, and should have to pay for the training costs the company will have to provide.

Thanks for that. I've spent a lot of time with visually impaired/blind people, and a few Deaf. So I get it. Here's a story that happened to come up today that perfectly illustrates how Deaf people are often treated.

Years ago (post-2000, I think), it happened in Tucson that students from the AZ School for the Deaf & Blind were being mistaken for gang members because they were using ASL.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 AM

50,513 posts, read 36,211,527 times
Quote:
And that, my dear, was YOUR choice to make -- a n exploratory choice denied you by criminal statute until you were old enough to serve in a drive-through lane. And the young man in the video still cannot be trusted with deciding whether to have a Bud Light. And ten years ago he couldn't be trusted to play outdoors. Because nannying has retarded hie decision-making capacity.
Sorry I continue to believe it’s ridiculous. You actually believe this kid has the low values to mock a disability because he couldn’t have sex with an older woman when he was 15 and he can’t buy a beer? That’s just nuts I’m sorry. Your post really just come off as someone who is bitter because they wanted to have sex with a younger girl and couldn’t.So you’re going to blame all of societies ills on the fact that teens can’t have sex with adults.

How do you explain the many many many young people who would not make fun of a disabled person? How do you explain the many many more young people who do have a good work ethic? Did they grow up in a household where they were allowed to drink and have sex with the neighbors?

It seems to me that the kids who grow up with rules and discipline are the ones who come out to be mature, where as the ones who grow up with no rules are the ones who grow up with poor attitudes and immaturity.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-14-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,051,177 times
Quote:
and they accused me of going off-topic
At least we didn't go talking about underage sex.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 AM

16,024 posts, read 21,053,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Repeated incidents of this sort are proof that, in spite of the usual corporate lip service, these establishments haven't addressed the issue of serving the disabled with their staff.
Eh, they can't cover every possible scenario, they'd never get the employees out of training and into actually working. Our training for this kind of thing basically consist of "assist as needed and treat them with dignity and respect, no differently than any other customer". It requires employees to use common sense, something you can't really train for.

And yeah, that longer video clip sure doesn't do that woman any favors. She may have a legitimate complaint against the employee but man she comes off as bad as he does with the screaming.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 6,647,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Below is the video her son posted.

The guy said if you order here you need to park over there and wait 5 mins. Again, her son is the biggest DUMBO on the planet. (2;04 you can hear dumbo son say " she can't hear you!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRh3xf-pEoE
She comes across very badly in this video. It sounds like the employee is planning to get her order, but he asked her to pull over into a parking spot. That is what is always done when an order isn't going to be ready immediately (or nearly so.) Granted, at 4 in the morning, perhaps no one else would have been waiting behind her, but she couldn't know that for sure.

Why wouldn't she pull into the spot and wait for her order as the employee requested? Then she starts threatening a lawsuit (thus answering the question I just asked). She lost any sympathy I might have had. Azzholes come in all shapes, sizes, and disabilities.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:41 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,483,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Mom is deaf so he could yell as loud as he needs to.
That wasn't my point. Yelling from across the car into one of those crappy speakers probably isn't going to help the kid in the store hear you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events