U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 AM

21,629 posts, read 17,152,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Most who fill those jobs have come from a different culture. But even in the professional environment people have to learn, so we have to teach them the art of civil behavior as we get 'em. Most of us raised here in the USA have been taught as a child to be polite. Not always so in other cultures.

A foreign coworker admitted to me recently that they have no concept of manners. For example it is unheard of for such people to open a door for another (especially a woman) or to allow a a woman to enter the elevator first. He says, that's a stupid rule - I got there first, so I'll go in first. Why would I owe her? But then he is from a country that allows people to have indentured servants, which he takes liberty in bragging about way too often about his old life in India.

Conclusion: You cannot expect people who are not raised to have manners to treat others with any level of respect unless they are willing to adopt the social norms of the country they are living in. They cannot expect to hire black servants for pennies as you do in their country, yet the woke people here in CA seem all over these people. It doesn't make sense to the "woke" mentality --but that is another post.
Nothing in this thread has one thing to do with manners. This is about following the law and doing your job. Aside from that, I would disagree with your premise altogether. Opening the door is a custom, itís manners in our society but every society has different customs. There are things they do in other countries that we donít do that would make it appear that we donít have manners. I work with a lot of people from a lot of different cultures and have for the past 20 years and there is no across the board difference in politeness between the cultures. Again not knowing or following our customs is not the same as not having manners. But again, manners has nothing to do with this situation. There is no culture where itís OK to argue with customers for two hours and to mock their disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 AM

4,957 posts, read 1,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Most who fill those jobs have come from a different culture. But even in the professional environment people have to learn, so we have to teach them the art of civil behavior as we get 'em. Most of us raised here in the USA have been taught as a child to be polite. Not always so in other cultures.

A foreign coworker admitted to me recently that they have no concept of manners. For example it is unheard of for such people to open a door for another (especially a woman) or to allow a a woman to enter the elevator first. He says, that's a stupid rule - I got there first, so I'll go in first. Why would I owe her? But then he is from a country that allows people to have indentured servants, which he takes liberty in bragging about way too often about his old life in India.

Conclusion: You cannot expect people who are not raised to have manners to treat others with any level of respect unless they are willing to adopt the social norms of the country they are living in. They cannot expect to hire black servants for pennies as you do in their country, yet the woke people here in CA seem all over these people. It doesn't make sense to the "woke" mentality --but that is another post.
But . . . but . . . what about the miracle of Diversity, which finally promises to make us the Great America we always should have been?

Americans think diversity s fine as long as it means exotic restaurants across the tracks, but can't stand a foreign accent on the phone.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:05 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,814,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But . . . but . . . what about the miracle of Diversity, which finally promises to make us the Great America we always should have been?

We? You don't even live in the USA lol

Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 AM

4,957 posts, read 1,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
We? You don't even live in the USA lol

You really meant "You don't happen to be physically present in the USA at the moment lol", right?

Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 AM

712 posts, read 713,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
https://abc7news.com/society/viral-v...order/5526666/

Another video on the topic.

Is her son also deaf? It somewhat defeats the purpose of drive-thru if you can't place your order with the speaker box. It will cause a backlog in the drive-thru.

Also, her staying there with her son for 2 hours to argue with this dude is CRAZY! I feel sorry for the employee.
I worked at a Wendys over 25 years ago and we had deaf people, or people who had hearing aids and could not pick up the speaker. They drove up, we filled the order and moved on. The ADA is pretty clear on this. Its not hard and doesn't cause delays unless you have several back to back cars with this condition. Even then, its a few minutes of delay.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:01 PM

44 posts, read 7,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

Americans think diversity s fine as long as it means exotic restaurants across the tracks, but can't stand a foreign accent on the phone.
I will hang up if I reach a call center in India. I will just admit it. It's not just the bloody awful accent but the fact that culturally they cannot relate to me as a person. It's like talking to a robot.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 17,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I will hang up if I reach a call center in India. I will just admit it. It's not just the bloody awful accent but the fact that culturally they cannot relate to me as a person. It's like talking to a robot.
Yes I keep asking what is going to be done to solve my problem and they keep repeating “We truly value your business”, “you’re a very valuable customer and I’m so sorry you are unhappy” until I’m screaming that that’s awesome but again what are you doing for the issue? The problem is they are reading from a manual “what to say if the customer is upset” etc. but if you have a problem that isn’t in their manual or requires thinking a little or asking a higher up, you’re out of luck. I feel like they want to flatter me and dismiss me and it is often frustrating. They can fix problem A, B, or C, but if your issue wasn’t covered in their book they don’t know how to help.

I have no problem with accents or diversity if the person in customer service is in the United States. Because then I know at least I can explain what I’m talking about and they will understand it. But when it’s a call center that’s actually in another country, it is very different.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 AM

10,703 posts, read 6,120,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I keep asking what is going to be done to solve my problem and they keep repeating “We truly value your business”, “you’re a very valuable customer and I’m so sorry you are unhappy” until I’m screaming that that’s awesome but again what are you doing for the issue? The problem is they are reading from a manual “what to say if the customer is upset” etc. but if you have a problem that isn’t in their manual or requires thinking a little or asking a higher up, you’re out of luck. I feel like they want to flatter me and dismiss me and it is often frustrating. They can fix problem A, B, or C, but if your issue wasn’t covered in their book they don’t know how to help.

I have no problem with accents or diversity if the person in customer service is in the United States. Because then I know at least I can explain what I’m talking about and they will understand it. But when it’s a call center that’s actually in another country, it is very different.
I can't rep you enough for your last few posts. I think we have all been through the frustration you described, however as you said people from different cultures has nothing to do with this story. This is about right and wrong and few countries have cultures that would allow this sort of behavior. In addition there is nothing in this story that gives the impression that this former worker was from another country from what I saw.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:57 PM

742 posts, read 602,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I keep asking what is going to be done to solve my problem and they keep repeating “We truly value your business”, “you’re a very valuable customer and I’m so sorry you are unhappy” until I’m screaming that that’s awesome but again what are you doing for the issue?,........... They can fix problem A, B, or C, but if your issue wasn’t covered in their book they don’t know how to help.

I have no problem with accents or diversity if the person in customer service is in the United States.
The reason for your frustration lies in how outsourced call centers work.
The agents, or people taking calls, are supposed to adhere to a certain script. So the constant "I apologise".
Also, they are expected to finish all calls within a certain time span, as companies running these call centers get paid on per call basis. Hence the agents try to rush you into saying "I'm good".

Also, in India (not sure about other countries like Philippines), call center work is considered to be the lowest level white collar job. So, people join, work for some time and then move out to better jobs. Hence the lack of technical knowledge among the agents. Of course, the call center company does not inform the US client of key resources leaving, and the US client is not bothered either, as if the client satisfaction score is less, they can and do penalise the call center company by reducing the payments due to the company.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM

11,101 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Why in the world do you need someone who will walk you through a tech problem to be able to "culturally relate to you as a person" whatever that means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events