Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am guessing the son was on the passenger side of the car? Have you tried to yelll your order from the opposite side of the car into one of those sorry speakers? It doesn't tend to work well, so we always tell the driver what we want who then orders it for us.

I don't get arguing for two hours, but then I understand being taken aback when you are treated badly by someone in customer service.
Yes, many times, never a problem.

Regardless, the mom is able to speak, the son is able to hear. Mom should have ordered at the speaker. When the drive-through worker asked to take the order, son could have signed to mom that it was time to place the order. No need to go to the window when a hearing-abled person was right there in the car. Granted, at 4 am it is probably not busy, but if she pulled this stunt during the day (even without a prolonged argument) it would definitely slow down the entire line. Drive-throughs are set up a specific way to ensure efficiency. If no one in the car can order at the speaker, don't go to the drive-through.

The employee behaved very badly, no doubt about it, but who knows what the woman had said/done to get under his skin before the video started rolling. I'm sure I'd be beyond unpleasant after two hours with this nut job. I have no doubt that this was a set-up designed to get a big pay-out, and that disgusts me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,537 times
I don’t know all of the details about this situation, but it does sound like fast food restaurants need to find a better way of communicating with deaf customers. It’s not their fault for having a disability, however it is their fault for choosing ‘Jack in the box’...Yuck!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I don’t know all of the details about this situation, but it does sound like fast food restaurants need to find a better way of communicating with deaf customers. It’s not their fault for having a disability, however it is their fault for choosing ‘Jack in the box’...Yuck!
4am don't leave many options. We don't know what they were doing to be out that late, maybe a road trip pit stop, or worked all day and first chance to get some food.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
two hours! man, I would have been getting impatient if I was waiting behind them in line

Old 09-10-2019, 08:58 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
When I've had to deal with hearing impaired customers the communication is almost always written, sometimes spelled out on a phone or tablet type device rather than paper. I can't imagine why this woman would go to a jack in the box at 4am unprepared without some alternative method of communication. It does seem like she may have had an agenda. Not that it excuses the doofus for making fun of her, but c'mon two hours arguing while recording it doesn't sound like hunger to me.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM

167 posts, read 190,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am guessing the son was on the passenger side of the car? Have you tried to yelll your order from the opposite side of the car into one of those sorry speakers? It doesn't tend to work well, so we always tell the driver what we want who then orders it for us.

I don't get arguing for two hours, but then I understand being taken aback when you are treated badly by someone in customer service.
Yes, I've ordered from the passenger side and never had an issue.
But let's even assume the son wasn't there, she still could have spoken into the machine and said something along the lines of I am deaf please bear with me I would like a large # 2 with dr pepper and no extras. But no, she tried to "have it her way" by going directly to the drive through window which is entirely circumventing the system they have.

Having said that, the employee could have behaved better and been more accommodating and I still have no idea what the hell is up with arguing for two hours. Why did neither the employee nor the woman in question or anyone in the vicinity decide it was enough? Why didn't her son say "ok mom screw it let's go somewhere else" or another team member take control of the microphone?
The entire story is weird and there are no innocent parties. What it comes down to me is a bored young kid on the night shift with nothing better to do and a woman with a chip on her shoulder who is imposing her disability in instances where it shouldn't put her at much disadvantage.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
When I've had to deal with hearing impaired customers the communication is almost always written, sometimes spelled out on a phone or tablet type device rather than paper. I can't imagine why this woman would go to a jack in the box at 4am unprepared without some alternative method of communication. It does seem like she may have had an agenda. Not that it excuses the doofus for making fun of her, but c'mon two hours arguing while recording it doesn't sound like hunger to me.

LOL You're right. But this was a collision of doofuses!

And, assuming that this was all about food, does anyone really think that either the woman or her son would have eaten what was prepared after such a disastrous encounter?

I highly doubt it.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

She could communicate fine with him face-to-face. She can read lips, speaks fine and can be understood. That was not the problem. He refused to take her order at the window, and was insisting that she go back and use the speaker system.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
https://abc7news.com/society/viral-v...order/5526666/

Another video on the topic.

Is her son also deaf? It somewhat defeats the purpose of drive-thru if you can't place your order with the speaker box. It will cause a backlog in the drive-thru.

Also, her staying there with her son for 2 hours to argue with this dude is CRAZY! I feel sorry for the employee.
So do I....and I've been there.

This "community" trolls any and all retail daily looking for this kind of "problem" and associated $reward$. It is a "problem" totally of their own manufacture and half the goal simply is to disrupt the lives of others. I've seen it too many times to have any sympathy.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Also, we don't know when her doofus of a son starting recording!! This could have been into hour 2.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events