U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 11:55 AM
 
10,206 posts, read 5,284,391 times
Reputation: 35233

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I despise JitB.. But.. that being said. They reacted appropriately by firing the worker. So, my opinion, in addition to being deaf, she's missing a leg.. One to stand on in a lawsuit.

Not necessarily ... did JitB properly train their employees on providing accessibility for differently-abled customers? The issue isn't just how they reacted to the situation, but whether they created the situation in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,285 posts, read 993,430 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Then you need to look further, because you clearly missed the early morning news programs, which ALL noted the 2-hour incident. After which, one print site reported, they finally received their order
I wouldn’t want to eat the food after an altercation with someone preparing the meal or at least has access to it. Who knows what they might have done to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:05 PM
 
3,952 posts, read 2,057,269 times
Reputation: 18918
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
She's deaf. She can't hear the responses at the speaker.
As many others have pointed out, her son was with her. He could have signed.

I'm not defending the employee, but neither will I jump onto the band wagon that's defending this woman. The entire two-hour conversation is suspect to me. All of them acted like jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,664 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This part of the OP's post I think answers that.





Now.. Let me preface this with Jack In the Box, at least here in the SC area is one of the nastiest places to eat there could be. I wouldn't go to one at any time of the day. Waffle House takes a bad rap sometimes, because.. Hey, it's not hoity-toity food, but it's decently good, especially at 4am.


I despise JitB.. But.. that being said. They reacted appropriately by firing the worker. So, my opinion, in addition to being deaf, she's missing a leg.. One to stand on in a lawsuit.

What this means at the end of the day tho.. Most likely every McDonalds, etc is now going to have a sign at the drive thru that says "Hearing or Visually impaired customers, please pull to window".. along with the menus at the drive thru in braille.



Even that may not be enough.

Consider Starbucks, one of the the most-sued (if not THE most-sued) establishments, from the crushed penis suit to multiple individual and class-action suits by hearing impaired customers (and employees). And they still can't get it right.

In one incident, a group of deaf employees was "shooed away," another customer was told that he "talked funny," and others were mocked. Corporate response was "sensitivity training," supposed accommodations, and opening a "Signing Starbucks in the vicinity of Gallaudet University. But lawsuits continue, with employees claiming that the ASL interpreting leaves them "exhausted," and that rotations (requiring additional staff and, often, immediate special staffing when unexcused absences occur) aren't scheduled. And still, the deaf community claim to encounter difficulties both there and at other Starbucks cafes.

These repeated issues are a reflection of how establishments are unable or unwilling to make "reasonable" accommodations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,664 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I wouldn’t want to eat the food after an altercation with someone preparing the meal or at least has access to it. Who knows what they might have done to it?
I already said that, many posts earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:51 PM
 
9,682 posts, read 7,330,245 times
Reputation: 12462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]


Even that may not be enough.

Consider Starbucks, one of the the most-sued (if not THE most-sued) establishments, from the crushed penis suit to multiple individual and class-action suits by hearing impaired customers (and employees). And they still can't get it right.

In one incident, a group of deaf employees was "shooed away," another customer was told that he "talked funny," and others were mocked. Corporate response was "sensitivity training," supposed accommodations, and opening a "Signing Starbucks in the vicinity of Gallaudet University. But lawsuits continue, with employees claiming that the ASL interpreting leaves them "exhausted," and that rotations (requiring additional staff and, often, immediate special staffing when unexcused absences occur) aren't scheduled. And still, the deaf community claim to encounter difficulties both there and at other Starbucks cafes.

These repeated issues are a reflection of how establishments are unable or unwilling to make "reasonable" accommodations.

At that point.. Sometimes you can't blame the company, they've done all they can.. Every now and again you just hire an a-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,664 posts, read 10,857,268 times
Reputation: 34797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At that point.. Sometimes you can't blame the company, they've done all they can.. Every now and again you just hire an a-hole.

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:07 PM
 
10,206 posts, read 5,284,391 times
Reputation: 35233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
As many others have pointed out, her son was with her. He could have signed.

I'm not defending the employee, but neither will I jump onto the band wagon that's defending this woman. The entire two-hour conversation is suspect to me. All of them acted like jerks.

She didn't say it was a two hour conversation. She said she wouldn't leave until she received her order. So she didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:13 PM
 
8,375 posts, read 5,471,020 times
Reputation: 9646
All of this took place at 4 AM. Lady is tripping!

I respect that she wants to be independent and all that but in this scenario you also have to factor the inconvenience of the worker. It's a FAST FOOD restaurant and you are on the drive-thru. Your son is capable of placing the order for the both of you or signing to you when to answer. But whatever let's do it the hard-way.

Let's have all drive thru with a visual signal to speak for deaf people, braille for blind (not sure how they will drive maybe in a Tesla), a Ipad for people that are mute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:16 PM
 
16,131 posts, read 13,855,542 times
Reputation: 22348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]


Even that may not be enough.

Consider Starbucks, one of the the most-sued (if not THE most-sued) establishments, from the crushed penis suit to multiple individual and class-action suits by hearing impaired customers (and employees). And they still can't get it right.

In one incident, a group of deaf employees was "shooed away," another customer was told that he "talked funny," and others were mocked. Corporate response was "sensitivity training," supposed accommodations, and opening a "Signing Starbucks in the vicinity of Gallaudet University. But lawsuits continue, with employees claiming that the ASL interpreting leaves them "exhausted," and that rotations (requiring additional staff and, often, immediate special staffing when unexcused absences occur) aren't scheduled. And still, the deaf community claim to encounter difficulties both there and at other Starbucks cafes.

These repeated issues are a reflection of how establishments are unable or unwilling to make "reasonable" accommodations.
Seems the issue is the accommodations are not reasonable at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top