Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
^ This is one of the better illustrations of why the ADA was one of the worst pieces of legislation ever passed.
Let's not forget emotional support dogs with no official type of certificate being allowed all over the places thanks to the ADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
She didn't place the order at the speaker box. That is the place where you need to place the order at a drive-thru. Her son could have placed it that speaker box.

Why is that where the order needs to be placed? She went to the window and explained why she couldn't use the speaker box. That should have been sufficient. There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window, especially at 4 in the morning when there isn't a long line. The employee was just being an obstinant PITA.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Let's not forget emotional support dogs with no official type of certificate being allowed all over the places thanks to the ADA.

Technically, emotional support animals aren't protected by ADA. Just service animals that are trained to perform a task.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
She didn't place the order at the speaker box. That is the place where you need to place the order at a drive-thru. Her son could have placed it that speaker box.

Seriously? Is it THAT big a deal?

Back in the 80's, when I was a teenager.. I used to work at a fireworks/pumpkin/christmas tree stand that would go in the parking lot of the shopping center beside where I lived. if we needed change, I walked over and walked through the drive thru at the bank in the parking lot. (remember, back in the 80's, banks did weird stuff.. Inside was only open until 2pm or so, drive thru until 6pm or so).. I was about 12.. What were they going to say? No, come back in a car?

Honestly, the guy at JitB was totally in the wrong here. He should have just taken her order at the window, smiled, given her the food and said "Have a nice day"

But she's not 100% right in everything she did. I don't agree with her suing the company. This is a situation where they hired an a-hole. Once they were shown the type of a-hole he was, they terminated him. What more can you ask?

I also don't agree with her sitting there for two hours. Take out the part that she sat waiting 2 hours trying to get JitB food.. I mean, 2 tacos for 99 cents ain't worth 2 hours of my time. Especially THOSE tacos. Wonder how many other people she inconvenienced (Saved from a bad meal) during that time?

Sometimes, you just want to look at people and shout.. "OTHERS!".. She apparently had no concern for others.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
When we order at the speaker box from our vehicle, it gives the staff time to prepare and bag our meal. It's ready and waiting for us when we approach the window. This is how things operate - smoothly.

When someone doesn't order at the speaker box, but instead orders at the window, everything is now out of order. Everybody in line behind her has to wait while staff scrambles to fill her unexpected order. It interrupts the flow of business. It causes time delays and confusion, and makes customers wait. This isn't what the drive-through is about.

Being deaf doesn't give anyone special rights.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Speaker box is for customers who can speak. If you can not speak, you are not welcome here.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:03 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
When we order at the speaker box from our vehicle, it gives the staff time to prepare and bag our meal. It's ready and waiting for us when we approach the window. This is how things operate - smoothly.

When someone doesn't order at the speaker box, but instead orders at the window, everything is now out of order. Everybody in line behind her has to wait while staff scrambles to fill her unexpected order. It interrupts the flow of business. It causes time delays and confusion, and makes customers wait. This isn't what the drive-through is about.

but.. You cannot refuse to provide service to someone who is disabled. You must make reasonable accommodations. And it certainly is a reasonable accommodation to allow them to order at the window at 4am.

And, from what I can tell.. That would be JitB policy. Whether it was 4am or not. This one employee apparently got upset about it.

I mean, if you owned a business, you don't want to be in the habit of turning people away. That's not good business.

we had a restaurant down here in SC that tossed a guy with a dog out. The dog was a legit service animal. The business was a Mennonite restaurant. I don't excuse them for doing it, but I do at least have some understanding that they might not have understood the complexities of the law in that situation. Mennonites aren't Amish, but they're not THAT far away, either. Everyone worked everything out.. Guy wasn't upset and suing and the restaurant invited him back for a free meal as an apology.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:04 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For 2 hours?

Surely any employees in the building would be aware that this one customer was in the driveup for 2 hours.

If they literally had NO customers during that time, maybe Jack in the Box should rethink being open.
Not many people going out to eat between 4 and 6 am, those who do have choices and probably more people at Denny’s getting breakfast at that time. I think it’s very plausible no one else came in between 4 and 6 am, especially if it’s not a city area.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Again it was 4am, there’s no indication anyone was behind her. All he had to do was take her order and serve her food. It’s not special rights, with the inside part closed that was the only way she could order.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why is that where the order needs to be placed? She went to the window and explained why she couldn't use the speaker box. That should have been sufficient. There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window, especially at 4 in the morning when there isn't a long line. The employee was just being an obstinant PITA.
If she was ALONE it would be a different story. REMEMBER, her SON who CAN HEAR and SPEAK was with her. This was a non-issue if she was a rational person and just asked her son for help. But she wanted to do it the hard way.

It delays the line if someone places their order at the checkout window instead of the speaker box. "There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events